skyline roof clips

davidwheeler

We have the slightly earlier Skyline roof which is held down - sort of! - by two straps at the front. This is not satisfactory as it is difficult to tighten properly and tends to lift at speed. It needs some sort of toggle catch arrangement rather like the roof of a 2CV. Does anyone know of a double ended one that would simply hook onto the loops through which the strap runs? Otherwise I shall need to modify a standard type.

I don’t have a Skyline roof but I’ve not heard of anybody reporting that they lift at speed.
Perhaps check that the straps are routed correctly through the buckles, if you post a photo it can be checked.
If you find them difficult to tighten use your body weight rather than pulling with your arms, it helps to take a wrap of the strap around your hand.

Make sure you have nothing interfering with the roof such as bedding, mattress or canvas getting the way. You should be able to get it down ok by just giving the strap a sharp tug a couple of times. It can help to get someone to lean on the front outside edge to push the roof down. Mine doesn't sit especially tightly down but it does not lift at all.

Thanks both. The strap had been malfitted which caused the problem but my wife still finds it very hard to pull the straps tight enough. I am researching toggle clips, there so not seem to be double ended ones but I see I can screw them to the inside of the opening next to the strap mounts. I'll post again when it is done.

Back