Show Us Your Mountain Bikes :)

Ok so want to buy a mountain bike through the cycle to work scheme. This limits me to 1k. Had my heart set on a hardtail trek and then a lad at work told me to look at Calibre Bossnut Evo. Spec seems impressive and geometry of frame plus just read some really good reviews, is it worth the plunge?
Bike shops don't seem to have an issue with you adding ontop Pukka :)

Like @Peatey ;) I'm sure I saw his new T6 on Leighton Vans Instagram recently :D:D

Yeah Steve Peat has a nice new one, Danny MacAskill, Brendog and Ben Deakin is local to me with a nice T5.1. Those guys are living the dream, I'd love to doss about on my bike all day and get paid and sponsored for it.

Although I have the T6 and a decent bike I sadly lack any skills whatsoever so it's back to work for me. :cry:

Reactions: .50
Sounds a great life @Insert Coin , loved watching Danny Macaskill, but wouldn’t want to end up like Martyn Ashton, a hero of mine when I was younger. Mind you he still does a bit of downhill, despite the fact he is paralysed from waist down. Legend.

Ok so want to buy a mountain bike through the cycle to work scheme. This limits me to 1k. Had my heart set on a hardtail trek and then a lad at work told me to look at Calibre Bossnut Evo. Spec seems impressive and geometry of frame plus just read some really good reviews, is it worth the plunge?
I am firmly of the view that the C2W limit of £1000, even if you add a bit on, is way below what you need for a good full suss. Any full suss at that price point will be heavy, and have low grade kit that will not perform well or last long. If you are just intending it for shortish rides on well made tracks it would be fine, but if you are going to properly rag it round the hills go for a reasonable hardtail.

I am guessing you will have to go for a mainstream brand as your C2W will need to be through an authorised bike shop. The upside is it will be easier to sell if you ever want to upgrade. Avoid Halfrauds if at all possible

I am firmly of the view that the C2W limit of £1000, even if you add a bit on, is way below what you need for a good full suss. Any full suss at that price point will be heavy, and have low grade kit that will not perform well or last long. If you are just intending it for shortish rides on well made tracks it would be fine, but if you are going to properly rag it round the hills go for a reasonable hardtail.

I am guessing you will have to go for a mainstream brand as your C2W will need to be through an authorised bike shop. The upside is it will be easier to sell if you ever want to upgrade. Avoid Halfrauds if at all possible

There is an interesting review against a carbon Santa Cruz - for every second quicker it would cost you £2k.

In all truth they say its comparible to a £2-3k branded full sus.

For me it will be fine though.

That 2018 Bossnut looks like a great spec for £1k, external cable routing and rear QR rather than through axle would be my only negatives. :cool:

There is an interesting review against a carbon Santa Cruz - for every second quicker it would cost you £2k.

In all truth they say its comparible to a £2-3k branded full sus.

For me it will be fine though.
I have no idea what that means or the relevance to your question. It sounds like the same argument that says it takes the same time to drive from London to Birmingham in a Ford Focus as it does in a Porsche so why buy a Porsche?

My point in responding to your question was that if you have a £1000 to spend you are better off with a decently equipped hardtail than a not so decently equipped and heavier full suss. One of my local mates went through the same process recently and all the local riders he asked advised him to get a hardtail. He now has a nice Specialized 650b+ With a 1x11 drivetrain and a dropper

I have no idea what that means or the relevance to your question. It sounds like the same argument that says it takes the same time to drive from London to Birmingham in a Ford Focus as it does in a Porsche so why buy a Porsche?

My point in responding to your question was that if you have a £1000 to spend you are better off with a decently equipped hardtail than a not so decently equipped and heavier full suss. One of my local mates went through the same process recently and all the local riders he asked advised him to get a hardtail. He now has a nice Specialized 650b+ With a 1x11 drivetrain and a dropper

Your analogy is somewhat floored. A ford focus and porsche would never arrive at the same time as one can go alot faster than the other.

Now if the ford focus flat out could get there within a couple of seconds of the Porsche then that would be a comparible scenario.

Back to the bike, i was going to go for a hardtail however the review and feedback suggests that a hardtail would be nowhere near as capable. Just to set the record I am a total novice but have an addictive personality so am thinking that if I enjoy it I may need full suspension.

I appreciate your feedback though I really do

Reactions: .50
Porsche or Focus? Surely it’s irrelavant as the speed limit is the same for both vehicles.:rolleyes:

Yes but as there are no speed limits on a trail then to make a comparison you need to assume no speed limit on road ;)

Yes but as there are no speed limits on a trail then to make a comparison you need to assume no speed limit on road ;)
Now you’ve just baffled me. Evidence if ever such were needed that it is 100% true that BS baffles brains!:laugh:. And no that is not a case of self promotion - I know I have no brains before any of you point that out; after all I bought a T6!;):whistle:

Your analogy is somewhat floored. A ford focus and porsche would never arrive at the same time as one can go alot faster than the other.

Now if the ford focus flat out could get there within a couple of seconds of the Porsche then that would be a comparible scenario.

Back to the bike, i was going to go for a hardtail however the review and feedback suggests that a hardtail would be nowhere near as capable. Just to set the record I am a total novice but have an addictive personality so am thinking that if I enjoy it I may need full suspension.

I appreciate your feedback though I really do

Straight up Mr P, you really should not rule out hard tails.

Whilst its true that a full bouncy bike will be more capable in many instances, are these instances likely to ones you will find yourself in ?. And even if you do find yourself in a situation where a full suss would be be better suited, would the ride have to end because you were on a hardtail ?.

You'd be amazed at how good these modern geometry hartails are and punishment they can take.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 6" AM bike for days when I actually travel to a mountain, but a lot of my riding is happily done on my hardtail.
Super responsive on the trail and power transfer is immediate plus about 10 less pivot points to wear on the rear and a £200 rear shock to service each year.

Just my opinion, and as long as you're peddling something its all good.

I'm also a fan of hardtails, I know you can lock full sussers, but just prefer the old school look and feel.

Bike shops don't seem to have an issue with you adding ontop Pukka :)

My house is being built and I have just spent 3 weeks on the otherside of the world and got engaged so trying to be sensible and not spend money I havent got ha

Like @Peatey ;) I'm sure I saw his new T6 on Leighton Vans Instagram recently :D:D
You certainly did .... Peaty is what Leighton call a "brand ambassador" along with the BrenDog and MacAskill. Basically, to you and me, they are sponsored by Leighton. Which is super cool marketing.

I was very clear with Leighton that I was happy to be a brand ambassador showing my van off around various UK and Euro bike parks .................... needless to say, I had to pay list :laugh::laugh:

I'm another fan for a hard tail. Had a specialized rock hopper pro evo and found it a hoot to ride. IMO- Been a hard tail you learn to read the lines quicker as I feel they are less forgiving, in return making you a better rider quicker. Moving those skills to a full sus makes you faster as your lines are thought through more. Not disputing that full sus bikes don't allow this progression I just feel that a full sus offers a more point and shoot approach to riding. Some may want this.

Last edited:
Ultimately you need both, and a fat bike, and then you need an alloy version and a carbon version of each bike... :laugh:

But as mentioned above, full sus bikes do need more maintenance with all the extra bouncy bits.

I'm much faster along flat routes on my hardtail than my bouncy bike.

Have had a full suss Rocky Mountain Altitude for about 18 months now, about a month ago I bought a Rocky Mountain hardtail, have ridden it at Tidworth Freeride and while I don't know if my times were any faster it certainly felt it, regardless of all that it was wayyyy more fun and technically challenging on the hardtail.
Pic of full suss posted further up this thread (Post #57 - the rawed bike with orange Hope kit), this is my recent hardtail addition...
View media item 1567

Last edited:
Back