Show Us Your Awning Setup.

Vango Kela 3 Users - some advice please.....

Set mine up last night for the first time when we were on the Isle of Mull and had a few issues, mainly caused by me erecting it first and reading the instructions second. Am I right In thinking I should attach to the awning rail, then pin at the 2 sides against the van, then inflate? Or should I attach to the rail, fully pin it out then inflate?

Also I had to pack it away in the rain and now we are home and it’s still raining. How long is it safe to leave packed away wet before it’s aired out? (I’m getting surgery tomorrow so likely a few days before I can get it set up in the garden)

Thanks

Last edited:
Vango Kela 3 Users - some advice please.....

Set mine up last night for the first time when we were on the Isle of Mull and had a few issues, mainly caused by me erecting it first and reading the instructions second. Am I right In thinking I should attach to the awning rail, then pin at the 2 sides against the van, then inflate? Or should I attach to the rail, fully pin it out then inflate?

Also I had to pack it away in the rain and now we are home and it’s still raining. How long is it safe to leave packed away wet before it’s aired out? (I’m getting surgery tomorrow so likely a few days before I can get it set up in the garden)

Thanks
We usually attach to the rail, put a couple of temporary pegs in to secure, inflate then peg out and adjust as we go.

So long as you get it out and dry properly within a week or so you should be Ok. Best to put it up in the rain and leave it out to eventually dry than leave packed away damp for more than a week.

Where have you been to get rain?? I haven't seen any since May, my lawn crunches when you walk on it...

We usually attach to the rail, put a couple of temporary pegs in to secure, inflate then peg out and adjust as we go.

So long as you get it out and dry properly within a week or so you should be Ok. Best to put it up in the rain and leave it out to eventually dry than leave packed away damp for more than a week.
Thanks. The issue I had was that after I had inflated both main beams it kept falling in on itself (hadn’t worked out what the middle beam was yet as it came in the pump bag). I had to peg the outer guys to make it stand. I then started working my way around pegging it down but realised when I got to the main door (furthest point from the van) I couldn’t pull the peg loop down to the ground as it was being pulled back and up by the rest of the tent. It was all sort of fighting against itself. I had inflated both beams with no pegs in the ground and it went pear shaped from there. The rain was chucking it down so I made do with how it was. Hopefully it will work better on my second attempt. When I packed it up I had it in the bag in under 5 mins! But took me 45 mins to erect it badly. It didn’t help that half the pitch was hard/slabs so I could only peg half the tent!

I’ve camped my whole life with various tents so not sure how I found it so tricky

What I do with my Kela 111 is attach it to the van then inflate it and if you have the plastic buckles above the front door I then peg the webbing straps temporarily from these, this then allows you to put the middle beam in, then make sure all the zips are done up and peg out where rewuired making sure it fits the footptint if you are using one, I find this works for us but I'm open to any other suggestions that may come up

Hi all,
Some really helpful info thanks.
I have been considering the Kampa Travel pod trip air 2018. It looks compact, lightweight and the groundsheet is detachable. I want something that is viable to use for as short as a day up to a couple of nights, that is easy to put up and down.
Has anyone got experience of it?

Has anyone got a solution for stopping wind/cold air coming under the van and into the Vango Kela awning? I noticed that when I had the slider open and the tent open there was nothing stopping the breeze coming under the van and into both the van and the tent.

Thanks @Sjacko20 , that looks pretty good. I’ll do a search for non-inflatable and check them out too now that I know what I’m looking for

View attachment 25456 Decathlon shelter, (only rigged for practice, not pegged down). Cheap and cheerful but up in less than 5mins.

View attachment 25456 Decathlon shelter, (only rigged for practice, not pegged down). Cheap and cheerful but up in less than 5mins.

I have gone down the same cheap and cheerful route also. Works a treat.
Currently using like a storage tent along with a lightweight shelter, stick bikes and chairs in it. In really bad weather may use it for outdoor dining. Bought the cheapest one from Decathlon £79.00 great quality for the price. IMG_20180717_083128__01.jpg

I have gone down the same cheap and cheerful route also. Works a treat.
Currently using like a storage tent along with a lightweight shelter, stick bikes and chairs in it. In really bad weather may use it for outdoor dining. Bought the cheapest one from Decathlon £79.00 great quality for the price. View attachment 25707

Apart from the cost, the other feature that caught our eye was the small pack size. :thumbsup:

I have been considering the Kampa Travel pod trip air 2018. It looks compact, lightweight and the groundsheet is detachable. I want something that is viable to use for as short as a day up to a couple of nights, that is easy to put up and down.
Has anyone got experience of it?
I've just bought that one after pondering all the options, not used it yet but it does seem very good value. Similar to a Vango without the price.
I was out & about today and spotted a camping shop, stopped for a browse & bought the Kampa Travel Pod Trip footprint for £20, I'm sure I've seen them advertised at over £30 :) Next two weekend trips are 4 and 6 weeks away, Elvington LMA and the BMFA Nats. Cant wait!

Heres a convincing little Travel Pod Trip demo, the magic happens at about 1:20 ;)

Cheers
Phil

Back