Should I Sell It Or Keep It?

Sell it, keep it, or buy a Land Rover?

• Sell it and buy an older T6 factory shuttle.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Keep it and convert it into a 9 seater van

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Buy a Disco 4

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bart_K

Hi everyone

Thanks to this forum I have bought a dream van and slightly converted it myself.
It's a 2018 150bhp manual Euro 6 Highline spec with optional Discover 6 unit with Android Auto unlocked which I use all the time! and power folding mirrors.
I've added 18" wheels, lowered it by 50mm, added sportline front bumper and rear spoiler, changed headlights and rear lights so lots of ££££ spent. I've done 68k so far (serviced every 15k). No major problems with the van.

Due to change of nature of my business I know require an 7-9 seater van.

I need advice please...

1. Should I convert it to a shuttle (I love caravelle but can't afford it atm) and keep it. If I do so would gonna have to pay VAT back? Van is going to be for business purposes only transporting people for hire and reward.

Once modified would I struggle to insure it? Is my premium going to much higher?

2. Should I sell it and buy a much older similar spec shuttle which is going to be out of warranty also?

3. The third option is to sell it and buy Land Rover Discovery 4, 7 seater Euro 6 2014+ but I don't know much about cost of servicing, fuel consumption, reliability but for sure is a premium, very comfy vehicle in which I could take 6 passengers ( not sure about extra 2 seats in the boot if they could fit an adult).

Vehicle to be used on short and long distances and in central London too occasionally so would rather want an Euro 6 engine.
20191009-DSC04207.jpg

As far as I know you can’t use a converted vehicle to transport people for hire (taxi etc). I would suggest that is the first thing to check.

As far as I know you can’t use a converted vehicle to transport people for hire (taxi etc). I would suggest that is the first thing to check.
WOW! Thanks for that! I will give DVLA a call tomorrow. Wander if I buy a shuttle and then lower it, add sportline kit , bigger wheels etc... but don't change the seats.

WOW! Thanks for that! I will give DVLA a call tomorrow. Wander if I buy a shuttle and then lower it, add sportline kit , bigger wheels etc... but don't change the seats.
Yes I was talking about number of seats.

I think all the other stuff will be ok but worth checking that also.

And for the third row there are no factory reinforced seatbelt reinforcement panels on a panel, only on a Kombi.

And for the third row there are no factory reinforced seatbelt reinforcement panels on a panel, only on a Kombi.
I would get it done by a professional company, I'll receive certificate for modification so can change it in log book was told.

There are no reinforcement plates available to the aftermarket, so just be careful if you go this route.
On the kombis the top hole is there, reinforced and threaded.
HTH

There are no reinforcement plates available to the aftermarket, so just be careful if you go this route.
On the kombis the top hole is there, reinforced and threaded.
HTH
Understand, this is to carry people I can not risk. It needs to be done professionally even if that means I need a shuttle.

I'll let more knowledgeable people tell you about options 1 and 2. Moving on to option 3.....
I'm a massive Landrover fan, I had two, but last year I looked at Disco 4's and T6's then opted for a T6 for interior space, reliability and economy. I'm glad I did.
Although a Discovery 4 is big (and luxurious) inside, a T6 beats it hands down for space, without being significantly bigger on the outside. You might fit seven adults in the Disco but there won't be much boot space left for anything else.
And there's not much call for the Disco's unrivalled mud plugging ability in London!
A significant number of Disco 4's are suffering catastrophic (often terminal) engine failures at relatively low mileage.
When it's due, cambelt replacements are a big job on the EU6 SDV6 Disco engine because the body has to be lifted off the chassis to give access, this is reflected in the cost. For all other repairs / servicing, a 3 litre V6 engine is more costly than a 2 litre straight 4, generally.

I'll let more knowledgeable people tell you about options 1 and 2. Moving on to option 3.....
I'm a massive Landrover fan, I had two, but last year I looked at Disco 4's and T6's then opted for a T6 for interior space, reliability and economy. I'm glad I did.
Although a Discovery 4 is big (and luxurious) inside, a T6 beats it hands down for space, without being significantly bigger on the outside. You might fit seven adults in the Disco but there won't be much boot space left for anything else.
And there's not much call for the Disco's unrivalled mud plugging ability in London!
A significant number of Disco 4's are suffering catastrophic (often terminal) engine failures at relatively low mileage.
When it's due, cambelt replacements are a big job on the EU6 SDV6 Disco engine because the body has to be lifted off the chassis to give access, this is reflected in the cost. For all other repairs / servicing, a 3 litre V6 engine is more costly than a 2 litre straight 4, generally.

Thanks, fuel factor is very important for me, I might stay away from Disco for now and buy it for private use later. I need reliable people carrier to do short or long trips in the UK only. Must say that caravelle would be ideal but not sure if I can afford it. Still have couple of thousands left on my finance and not sure if what my potions are if I want to buy a new one... By new one I mean T6 not the T6.1 as can not see the point. I'd rather wait fro T7 than waste my money.

Every minibus is a conversion. You cant DIY but you can convert professionally no problem.

Every minibus is a conversion. You cant DIY but you can convert professionally no problem.
I have already found a company do do a conversion, would really not want to sell my van... Only worried about insurance companies now. Need to make some calls.

Had many Land Rovers. The cost of a D6 can be huge and then there is the potential reliability issues.

I bought a T6 Caravelle Exec and love it. May not have the same cache as a LR but in many ways it is way better

Does anyone know if T28 panel van swb can be converted to shuttle or it needs to be at least T30?

Does anyone know if T28 panel van swb can be converted to shuttle or it needs to be at least T30?

This table is from the internet. Seats are roughly 25kg per seating position, plus all the trim etc. You can work out roughly how much 8 adults weigh plus luggage. My 8 seater is a T30.

719A6E5E-4A00-488A-A0C8-0C7C1F966929.png

Back