New T6.1 conversion - what extras should I consider?

GerryC

Greetings everyone,

As a newcomer to this forum, I have made the decision to purchase a new T6.1 camper. The company I am buying from acquires new panel vans and converts them into campers. I have opted for additional features such as Springfield alloy wheels, lowered suspension, bike rack, combi rail, and wind deflectors. However, I am concerned that the T7 model is soon to be released, and I may be purchasing an outdated version. Unfortunately, I cannot wait for the release of the T7, so I am looking for any other updates or retrofits that I should consider.

These are the additional options I have been contemplating:

1. Adding wireless charger and wireless Apple CarPlay
  2. Installing adaptive cruise control, which we currently have in our Kia Sorento, and we will miss it when we sell it.
  3. Adding tint to the back window and back side windows, which provide complete visibility. What tint level do you recommend?
Are there any other features that I should take into account as I plan to keep this van for a considerable period? Additionally, the converting company has yet to receive the new van, so I want to make sure I get everything I need.

Hi Gerry, welcome, here's some of my thoughts which others might agree or disagree with which is fine hence being on a forum such as this

I am informed that the T6.1 will be the last of the true transporters built in Germany. The T7 will be a ford transit in a party frock built in Turkey.
Happy to be corrected on that.

Springfields look great IMHO, but having a set on a previous van I hope you like cleaning, I always found them a pain to keep looking nice.

Is it even possible to retro fit ACC?

If you fit the VW genuine defectors they are stuck on, but if you go for the other ones like dubflectors they go in the channels and IMO look better but that's my opinion.
Remember if to choose a tailgated bike rack you can't have a rear spoiler unless its modified with holes in which I have seen done.

Specify a diesel heater. This should be fitted under the floor. You can choose from cheap or expensive.

If they start from a panel van, they will install all the windows, typically they are 80% tint.

Specify a diesel heater. This should be fitted under the floor. You can choose from cheap or expensive.

If they start from a panel van, they will install all the windows, typically they are 80% tint.
I didn't go with the Heater in the end as we wil never be wild camping, I had seriously considered it, it was an autoterms > installed for €1,500

I installed my own. Kiravans @ £600 in my old van, cheapo Vevor in the new van for £130. I run it for a few minutes if I’m coming in from the cold.

Right then;

Heated seats
Dash cam
Side bars
Reversing camera
Front splitter
Rear spoiler (bike rack compatible)
Reimo rail (if you fancy an awning or canopy)

Obviously there are many, many more extras but IMO most of the above are best if fitted professionally if your skills are basic.

Retrofitting ACC is extremely difficult / impossible if your base van doesnt come with the radar dish on the front as standard.

Doesn’t the Highline spec come with ACC as a standard feature? My T6.1 definitely has it.

For the van itself I would recommend:
Highline spec
DSG automatic
LED headlights - this was a very consistent recommendation when I was specifying our van
Reversing camera

For the conversion, in addition to the usual I would add:
Diesel heater
Fiamma awning
Sidebars
Captains driver / passenger seats that swivel

Good luck with the camper acquisition, it’s great fun.

Back