Self-built Plywood Kitchen Fixing & Finishing

doodahoops

VIP Member
I’m building my first kitchen unit for my first camper. I will epoxy the edges and varnish to finish. Can anyone recommend a good light stain to enhance the grain? Have searched and searched but can’t find anything. Do you have pictures?

IMG_2184.jpeg

Any lastly when I reconstruct, presume it is best to glue and (pocket) screw.

Thanks

I built ours in lightweight poplar ply. The surfaces were painted, and the edges done in
Osmo Top Oil
Natural 3068

I used dowels and cam locks. Next time I probably would pocket screw, as it was very laborious doing all the drilling by hand with a jig.

I didn’t use glue as I wanted to be able to take it out if I needed to (for access or to repair a panel).

Interesting Thankyou. Taking it in and out as one isn’t too laborious so will probably glue as well. I have watched a Combevalley Campers video where they morwaxed and varnished their ply. Trouble is you can’t get morwax now and all other wax stains say you can’t varnish over the top…

Could you just use Osmo top oil? The stuff you use on hardwood kitchen worktops, it’s hard wearing, water repellent, can be Matt, satin or gloss.

Do you think Osmo is tough enough for day to day bumps and knocks on the drawer fronts and kick boards of the U bed storage units? Ply guys use Polyx… will see if I can pick up a tester pot…

Do you think Osmo is tough enough for day to day bumps and knocks on the drawer fronts and kick boards of the U bed storage units? Ply guys use Polyx… will see if I can pick up a tester pot…
I've just had 14 unfinished oak doors osmo oiled. From what I have seen it is very good. Really like varnish when 'cured' as with everything preparation is everything.... (I bailed out after first couple of coats and got decorator to finish!) Can easily be reapplied if find any areas wearing off. There's joiners on here that have rated it before!

It seems to set very hard - I’m impressed with it. The stuff I used (3068) is supposed to stay pale. Varnished ply tends to go orange after a while.

It seems to set very hard - I’m impressed with it. The stuff I used (3068) is supposed to stay pale. Varnished ply tends to go orange after a while.
Defo. I used 3060 did have a nice sheen on it, there is worktop versions etc as well... Joiners I spoke to and decorators said they'd avoid varnish nowadays!

Screenshot_2024-01-30-18-05-37-33_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Thankyou. I have picked up a small tin of polyx so will give it ago. Is it suitable for the edges too? That would make the job much easier than epoxying them

Treatex is great too.
Two guys from osmo left and set up treatex.
British company and their tints etc are great and easier to understand.
Also drying time and workability of the oil is better for me.

Back