Sca Pop Top Roof

DPS

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I am looking for advice/opinions.

I paid nearly £6000 pounds for an SCA SWB roof with a panoramic canvas. Given that these roofs are one of the most expensive on the market I expected it to look good not only closed but also when elevated.

For such an expensive roof I think it looks cheap when it is elevated. First of all it seems that SCA have started to put patches to strengthen areas that are considered weak points or vulnerable to damage, however these patches have a very cheap appearance and don't even match the colour of the canvas. Furthermore the canvas itself looks very puckered but I'm not sure whether this is a manufacturing issue or a fitting issue. What I do know is that I've seen considerably cheaper roofs that look better than the SCA.

I would like to know whether anyone has seen an SCA canvas anywhere that have these small light grey patches by the windows? If you zoom in on them you will see how shabby they look. Photos would be very helpful.
Your help is appreciated, thank you.

7ApRsv6XTYKNYynS4u7Uug.jpg SBm%RfAhQKqsjtoeyJGbCw.jpg M5Lwv0S9RCqUsx%K0J6zTA.jpg +JKE7A9oR9OyGF885TRq5g.jpg %zj4ERDcSbCxoaW3P2UyhQ.jpg

Last edited:
I saw these patches on a van in the show and shine at busfest. I thought they were dodgy repairs. I wouldn't be happy with them either. Not sure what you can do about them though. Maybe sew some canvass over them?

Last edited:
Personally I think it looks diabolical with all those patches on it but to be honest I think the way it has been fitted is even worse. I apologise if you did it yourself but if a 'professional did it I would want to know who. I also saw a patched up one at busfest and thought it looked repaired.

You can just make them out here

CD4D74AC-4B74-4A05-8E15-64AC57E1CFA3.jpeg

There’s a thread somewhere about rubbing issues on SCA canvas - I assume the patches are there to solve that problem. But I agree, they don’t look pretty...

In terms of the tautness, I would expect it to be tauter than in your photos. I have a Reimo Easyfit and the canvas is very taut, no wrinkles at all.

There’s a thread somewhere about rubbing issues on SCA canvas - I assume the patches are there to solve that problem. But I agree, they don’t look pretty...

In terms of the tautness, I would expect it to be tauter than in your photos. I have a Reimo Easyfit and the canvas is very taut, no wrinkles at all.
Thanks for this.

If they had used the same material for the patches it would not of looked as bad. The tautness of the canvas must be down to the fitting so I would say the first port of call would the fitters. £6K is a lot of money to spend and not be happy with the finished job.
Baz

If they had used the same material for the patches it would not of looked as bad. The tautness of the canvas must be down to the fitting so I would say the first port of call would the fitters. £6K is a lot of money to spend and not be happy with the finished job.
Baz
Thank you.

My LWB SCA roof has the lower patches but not the top ones.
I can see why they have fitted them as the stitching looks under strain on mine in fact I have used a few drops of super glue to stop they fraying.
Mine is not the panoramic canvas but it’s pritty taught all round

Reactions: DPS
My LWB SCA roof has the lower patches but not the top ones.
I can see why they have fitted them as the stitching looks under strain on mine in fact I have used a few drops of super glue to stop they fraying.
Mine is not the panoramic canvas but it’s pritty taught all round
Thanks for this.

12F2EF11-9109-43C6-8513-9DD0A79409BA.jpeg 9B1BC824-2EF9-41D1-8EC9-E5CC9972AE51.jpeg Hi here’s a photo of our SCA with panoramic, again we have no patches at the top only the ones near the hinges and damper I think. But one thing I do know definitely no puckering.

Some of the puckering at the front looks like it could just be the result of the velcro not being overlapped properly (wider gap between main canvas and roof and velcro clearly visible) - try taking it off and then reattaching - tightening up in this area and elsewhere it has not been attached correctly might resolve across the whole canvas??

Back