Satnav comes up "offroad" with co-ordinates when I enter a postcode

KentKombi

Hi,

I'm a newbie - with a new Kombi that was delivered the day before the lockdown.

(as such the delivery chap was unable to show me around the van / explain how things work)

From day 1, when I punch a post code into the infotainment search screen on Satnav mode, it takes at least 30 seconds of whirring blue icon to come up with "Offroad" with a lat and long set of co-ordinates.
It does not come up with the street name.
When you press start, it does guide you to that place.
But, when you try and look back through the previous destinations, to return there (say a few days later) there is only a list of offroad - lat/long co-ordinates, not the street name or address.
(ie impossible to re-select a previous destination from the list)

It's been back to the dealers 3 times and they have been unable to fix it.

Yesterday, they advised me to sign up for the VW app and see if that works, as there could be "over the air" updates.

I have done this - but it's still the same.

I just wondered if I am doing something REALLY silly or if it's a known issue ?

Regards,

Mark
(EDIT : I added a picture of the problem - might help ?)

VW Transporter satnav issue.jpg

Last edited:
I can‘t help you on the technical side but I don’t think VW have the option of ‘can’t fix it’. They sold you a van, they need to fix it or replace it.

Have you tested the coordinates on google maps?

Thank you for the speedy response.
The co-ordinates appear correct and the satnav takes me to the right place.
But it never shows the destination address (ie Beech Road, Maidstone) - just always shows "offroad" and the lat/long. Even for postcodes that are decades old in really old streets that have been around for yonks.

Every other vehicle I have driven, when you punch in the postcode, it displays the street name (and some a range of house numbers).

I had a different issue with the Sat Nav. Got a blank screen, but everything else (eg, radio) displayed fine. Did a reset by pressing the power button for 10 seconds and that solved it. Perhaps you could try the same.

Hi

Did you ever find a solution to this I have the same issue

Thanks

Paul
I almost sold the vw over this - literally Beadles were useless.

I signed in and registered, had to use both keys for some weird initiation ritual onscreen in the vehicle. Then find the update icon and daily reset - using the hold power button until head unit rebooted. Finally, it worked.

However, approx every 5th entering of a postcode, the satnav will just think about finding it and then seize / reboot and you have to enter it again.

In my T6.1, the head Unit is one of the worst features.

I almost sold the vw over this - literally Beadles were useless.

I signed in and registered, had to use both keys for some weird initiation ritual onscreen in the vehicle. Then find the update icon and daily reset - using the hold power button until head unit rebooted. Finally, it worked.

However, approx every 5th entering of a postcode, the satnav will just think about finding it and then seize / reboot and you have to enter it again.

In my T6.1, the head Unit is one of the worst features.

I know what you mean to be frank I have this issue before with VW I.e. the bog standard satnav works fine but the pro version doesn't have a postcode database.

There is an update on the VW website for this system however I can't get that to load on to it either.

I'll continue to try to get it updated with the update from June 2020 and come back if I have news.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm a newbie - with a new Kombi that was delivered the day before the lockdown.

(as such the delivery chap was unable to show me around the van / explain how things work)

From day 1, when I punch a post code into the infotainment search screen on Satnav mode, it takes at least 30 seconds of whirring blue icon to come up with "Offroad" with a lat and long set of co-ordinates.
It does not come up with the street name.
When you press start, it does guide you to that place.
But, when you try and look back through the previous destinations, to return there (say a few days later) there is only a list of offroad - lat/long co-ordinates, not the street name or address.
(ie impossible to re-select a previous destination from the list)

It's been back to the dealers 3 times and they have been unable to fix it.

Yesterday, they advised me to sign up for the VW app and see if that works, as there could be "over the air" updates.

I have done this - but it's still the same.

I just wondered if I am doing something REALLY silly or if it's a known issue ?

Regards,

Mark
(EDIT : I added a picture of the problem - might help ?)

View attachment 79496
Hi again

Ok here's the strange thing i was playing with We-Connect and it seemed it would be more useful if i reduced the privacy setting. After problems with the car keeping the reduced privacy settings and a call to the we-connect help desk who fixed the issue, my satnav now finds a postcode. I note from your photo you still have max privacy (The man with a hat on in the top left of your screen) try to reduce this to the minimum privacy and see if it fixes it.

20200921_210821.jpg

HELP !!!
I have exactly the same issue with my T-Roc, delivered October 2020. Many T-Roc owners have the same issue, as do many with the ID3, Golf Mk8 and other 2020 models - all those with the new MIB3 infotainment system.
Basically, the system does not recognise UK postcodes. If a UK postcode is entered, the system just shows it as being "Offroad" with GPS co-ordinates. No town or street name is shown. In addition, all recent destinations are also shown as being "Offroad", which means they are totally useless.

Just so I am clear - are you saying that if you adjust the privacy settings, then there should be an update "over the air" ?? If this is right, then I (plus many others !) will be very happy !
Can you just clarify again - what privacy settings need to be selected? I already think I have minimum privacy selected?

Any help VERY gratefully received !!!

Has anybody solved this yet, as VW customer services just said to book it in to a dealer as do I think its faulty ?
They gave me a 3rd number to ring, but I can`t see it getting me anywhere.
I lowered my privacy, and it did an update, but still "Offroad "

It could be the sat nav is not finding the data for the postcode. So it could be a software problem after all ?

20210302_223840.jpg

Hi again

Ok here's the strange thing i was playing with We-Connect and it seemed it would be more useful if i reduced the privacy setting. After problems with the car keeping the reduced privacy settings and a call to the we-connect help desk who fixed the issue, my satnav now finds a postcode. I note from your photo you still have max privacy (The man with a hat on in the top left of your screen) try to reduce this to the minimum privacy and see if it fixes it.

View attachment 85911
Hi, I have the exact same issue. Can you remember how the help desk resolved your privacy keeps defaulting to Max settings?

Mine is going to Cardiff in 2 weeks. The service manager got a bit stressed as he didn't know what to put it down as.
Faulty didn't sit Well
Eventually he came back, and said a mechanic recons it is a setting issue.
Mine is on share my location, and hasn't had any new updates. It also isn't really accurate on a destination on screen. As it finds the pubs near my mother's visually on screen, rather than her address. But spoken directions are correct.

On another forum someone asked if I was using a different key than the one linked to my profile.

I wasn’t but I was using the 2nd key linked to my profile.
I deleted the car from my profile on the app and deleted my profile from the car. Then went through the process of adding my profile & linking the keys. Issue now sorted as I’m using the 1st key I registered.

So good so far. sat nav is accurate & my profile loads with my privacy settings.

Cardiff are waiting to hear from VW as whatever was suggested today didn't work. They do think it isn't working correctly.

Cardiff are waiting to hear from VW as whatever was suggested today didn't work. They do think it isn't working correctly.
Interested to hear if you had any joy getting this sorted through VW?

I just picked my new van up a couple of days ago, with the upgraded media unit.……and I refuse to believe it’s working correctly! It’s as though the van is off screen. When I come up to roundabouts, they disappear off into the bottom right of the screen. It’s as though everything is pushed to the right. The van position is not in the centre of the screen. Was this the same on yours?

Hi, no I don't think so. It's just the postcodes and what I mentioned earlier.
Cardiff couldn't help. The salesmanagers does the same - glitchy. They think its a new software update by vw that is needed

Back