Sargent Ec155 - Ok To Leave On All The Time?

RikParr73

T6 Pro
Searched around for the answer but can't find it. Just wondering if it is ok to leave the controller switched on all the time so that I can see the LB voltage, to make sure it's charging with the solar panel. (I mean I have a voltage digital display, not the level on the argent controller itself)

Not sure on leaving the Sargent on, but why not use something like a BM2 Bluetooth battery monitor, which enables you to monitor it with your phone. I can pick up the signal in my kitchen and check it from there.

Not sure on leaving the Sargent on, but why not use something like a BM2 Bluetooth battery monitor, which enables you to monitor it with your phone. I can pick up the signal in my kitchen and check it from there.
I can only connect to my dcdc and mppt when the ignition is on, is the battery monitor always on then?

Edit: sorry I thought your link was for the victron battery monitor. Please ignore!

Can you use one on the vehicle battery and another simultaneously on the leisure battery?

Yeah, you can run multiple on the van. @Dellmassive has two I believe. I’ve not bothered, and just have one on the LB. I may go down the route of Lithium sometime, and that has Bluetooth built in, so may move the BM2 onto the starter battery.

I have read Dellmassives thread but didn’t realise the BM2 was that easy to install. Looks like a really cheap and easy addition

Side note: Just seen the delivery time on this! Do you remember the good old days when you would get your drunken purchases next day before you’d even remember ordering them!

Yeah! Absolutely. I actually ordered mine directly from China and it took 5 weeks! Was only about £18.

You’ll probably find a UK seller on eBay. May? That’s ridiculous.

Bought and the wife finds out I’ll tell her the guy with the black current van (her words) told me to buy it :D

Searched around for the answer but can't find it. Just wondering if it is ok to leave the controller switched on all the time so that I can see the LB voltage, to make sure it's charging with the solar panel. (I mean I have a voltage digital display, not the level on the argent controller itself)
After a scary weekend of CO alarm going off with a van full of family - I worked out this was thanks to hydrogen gas from a (worn out?) leisure battery being charged by the Sargent EC155.

Battery replaced, BM2 ordered and Sargent charger turned off (for now).

Did you ever answer your question?

Trying to work out if I need a more intelligent 240v EHU charger alongside the Sargent.

Any help or advice would be welcome!

I have always turned the controller off when not in use to stop the usbs etc draining the battery but always leave the mains switch on and still all working

The Sargent isn't an intelligent charger...

It's just a 13v power supply connected to the battery.

I would fit a dedicated smart charger and disable the charge feed from the Sargent.

But don't ask me how as I haven't got one to play with.

Others have done so... But you will need to search about for the posts.

The Sargent isn't an intelligent charger...

It's just a 13v power supply connected to the battery.

I would fit a dedicated smart charger and disable the charge feed from the Sargent.

But don't ask me how as I haven't got one to play with.

Others have done so... But you will need to search about for the posts.
Thank you @Dellmassive , that was my suspicion… I’m assuming constant 13v to the battery won’t help its lifespan!

Back