Safety Recall T6.1 vans Driver's door Bowden cable.

Thank you all for the heads-up on this subject. Mine is a 2021 T6.1 and is going in to have the recall work done on the 7th Jan. Because of my working hours I have to take my vehicle in on 1 day and pick it up the next, meaning someone has to pick me up and then take me back the next day. I can do without having to repeat the exercise and without this thread I would have been unaware of what to check for or expect - thank you.

Probably Bowden cables, think they have been moving through colder counties first

Denied there was an issue to start with. Hopefully the dodgy header unit will be next, that's still a denial!
I have only recently got involved by buying a T6.1 on a 2020 plate. Can you tell me what you mean by a dodgy header unit and what's a header unit -- sorry still learning

I have only recently got involved by buying a T6.1 on a 2020 plate. Can you tell me what you mean by a dodgy header unit and what's a header unit -- sorry still learning
Header unit he means the multi media interface.
a few of them have had some problems.

What type of problems have header units been manifesting?
Mine is sound quality related when playing itunes through car play when usb connected. Doesn’t occur through Bluetooth though.

Mine is sound quality related when playing itunes through car play when usb connected. Doesn’t occur through Bluetooth though.
Aha, I haven't experienced any issues on mine, although I don't have/use iTunes, just stream Bosnian radio via Bluetooth and the sound is fine. Only gripe about the unit is that there is no station logos on UK FM/DAB stations, my previous Škoda Fabia 2017 plate had colour unit display with proper station logos.

Thank you all for the heads-up on this subject. Mine is a 2021 T6.1 and is going in to have the recall work done on the 7th Jan. Because of my working hours I have to take my vehicle in on 1 day and pick it up the next, meaning someone has to pick me up and then take me back the next day. I can do without having to repeat the exercise and without this thread I would have been unaware of what to check for or expect - thank you.
My podgy fingers - it's not a 2021, it's a 2020 plate.

Had mine done today - and immediately checked the deadlock function on single press of key fob afterward and as reported by others it had stopped working. Locks the van fine, but allows you to open the front doors from inside.

So straight back on the diagnostic and sure enough disconnecting the locks had thrown up faults. Once cleared, all working fine as it should.

Interestingly, neither the mechanic or service staff were aware that it was supposed to work this way. So today was a learning day for all at the dealership! To be fair to them, they were very helpful and have only been open a month. But suspect they’ll be checking for faults after the fix when others come in now on the same recall.

After a decent frost last night, neither of the front doors would latch shut this morning once they’d been opened. It’s going to the dealers on Monday. 4th visit for the same problem, but first at this dealer. Fingers crossed..

I had mine done at VW Beeston about 3 weeks ago. Now it has to go back. Front passenger door won't unlock on the fob but will unlock and open from the inside. I can do without going twice for the same job to be done again. Well pissed off.

Just had by cable done at VW Portsmouth and had to take it back as they didn't put everything back as they should have and the window kept stopping and bouncing back, apparently they didn't put the rubber seal back correctly and it was binding up the glass :mad::mad:

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Just had by cable done at VW Portsmouth and had to take it back as they didn't put everything back as they should have and the window kept stopping and bouncing back, apparently they didn't put the rubber seal back correctly and it was binding up the glass :mad::mad:
I had mine done at VW Commercials Beeston near Nottingham in Jan. Have been waiting until last week to get it back in as the passenger would not unlockon the zapper. While there the second time I told them about the fault showing on the dash ref the SOS call. They have ordered a new replacement module for meto go back in May to have fitted. While waiting in reception they told me that my van was coming up for a service and asked if I would like to book it in. I asked them what they had done that would fill me with enough confidence that I would allow them to carry out a service on my van
They were not chuffed.

Just had the recall letter ref this. Should I remove the additional door seal I put on before going , it can sometimes not shut first time on drivers door with windows shut, would this be an issue with dealers?

I didn’t bother as I would need to buy some replacements.
But the dealer did phone me while they had mine in to ask if the doors were more likely to need a firm shut than if they were not originally fitted.

Reactions: MrD
I didn’t bother as I would need to buy some replacements.
But the dealer did phone me while they had mine in to ask if the doors were more likely to need a firm shut than if they were not originally fitted.
Had it done yesterday less than 2 hours including a health check video. Also got a call ref the door not always shutting 100% Tech was worried it was in for that too.

Can the customer refuse having the cables done if they are totally working fine for the last two years (van just turned two years from new)? Why tinker with something if it's working fine.

I would imagine that once the warranty has expired it wouldn't make any difference if you had it done or not. The problem with the door cables snapping handles, locking you out or opening while motoring only seem to occur in very low winter temperatures. However, if a problem has been identified and you can have it corrected for free - I say 'why not'?

Back