Safety of automatic latching side doors

Matt Conway

Having read some of the recommended options from various contributors on this site, I'm thinking of adding a these (automatic latching sliding doors) to my order, saving the money by not getting the reversing camera that I don't think I'll really use much. I've had a few problems with the non-automatic type on the T4, and it never looks too professional taking a few goes at varying strength trying to close the door after a client! However, I'm a little concerned about the safety aspect of these.

Could somebody please let me know what happens if something is stuck in these doors as it tries to close? Does it carry on regardless crushing kit and fingers into powder or does it do the right thing and give it up?

Thanks, Matt.

I had the auto-closing tailgate on the Touareg and the sensing is very good at noticing the obstruction and backing open..

Do you mean the full-on electric sliding doors or just the power latching?

We had a Caravelle Exec (T5.1, 14 plate) for two weeks and the electric doors were a good party trick but they REALLY drain your battery and a lot of people had issues with them on T5.1s - the T6 versions might be better.

Auto latching is one option power closing another.
Power close works well, very handy, the doors stop and open back up if an object is in the way.

I've got it on the rear hatch wish I had it on the side sliding door aswel as the Mrs is useless at getting it to close on first attempt

I didn't spec a camera the van came with it but it's probably the single best extra on the van, just so good being able to see things behind you and not just cars, supermarket trollies propelled by the elderly for example!

Thanks everyone. Just been paying attention to what I do when I park and currently its all with the side mirrors and seems to work fine, plus I've got a window at the back. But I think you're probably right. Just trying to keep costs down.

Drove a T5 panel van for years, using the side mirrors to park, became quite adept at parking in the smallest of spaces, but with a £30k+ van the camera is invaluable, can now park in even smaller spaces and no chance now off bumping into low bollards or idiots in Tesco's who drive behind you when reversing out of a parking space.

Never had an issue in 23 years of reversing anything from a Mini to a 7.5 tonne lorry.
Parking sensors are more than enough.

If you need a camera, you need a driving test refresher course... ;)

Some people here seem to need every driving aid possible. Take with a pinch of salt and save your money.

Never had an issue in 23 years of reversing anything from a Mini to a 7.5 tonne lorry.
Parking sensors are more than enough.

If you need a camera, you need a driving test refresher course... ;)

Some people here seem to need every driving aid possible. Take with a pinch of salt and save your money.
I suppose one day you will be able to get self parking vans, on the T7 maybe :)

Go practice reverse parking in a Morris Minor van, when you've mastered that you certainly won't need a camera!

I took (and passed) a driving test in a GPO Minor van with little round mirrors on the front wings, no windows worth looking through in the back and a van body that sticks out beyond the cab.

For those who are too young to remember those vans have a look here GPO van Home

Rod.

Another note on the rear camera, when reversing the other night I thought I'd go back to the old method of mirrors, unfortunately couldn't see much behind me even with the reversing lights, but glancing at the camera gave me a clear view behind even in the pitch black. Where I work, I often squeeze into gaps with a foot back and front, could never do this without a camera and be 100% sure I wouldn't hit anything. parking sensors are great too but pick up undergrowth too.

Go practice reverse parking in a Morris Minor van, when you've mastered that you certainly won't need a camera!

I took (and passed) a driving test in a GPO Minor van with little round mirrors on the front wings, no windows worth looking through in the back and a van body that sticks out beyond the cab.

For those who are too young to remember those vans have a look here GPO van Home

Rod.
He he yep remember them rubber front wings and all!

I have bought a 2018 Caravelle with power latches. I picked the Caravelle up 4th December (last week )from Birmingham Dealership and on Friday morning 5th December it went to Wrexham dealership with central locking issue to be fixed and its been there ever since

Chris

Back