Ring DC/DC Set up

I've just had confirmation from my contact at RING that any RSCDC30 with a revision greater than A024324171115 should have the latest firmware installed.

Rod

Reactions: Loz
Rod. Do you know where to find the revision number. I can only find Serial No which is A and 6 digits only.
Thanks Rob

Mine also has only six digits BUT those six are lower that that figure quoted from RING. In the email that I had from them it said the number quoted on the box, whether or not he meant on the unit case or on the packing box I don't know. When I get home I will look to see if I still have the original box and see what is on that.

Rod

Mine also has only six digits BUT those six are lower that that figure quoted from RING. In the email that I had from them it said the number quoted on the box, whether or not he meant on the unit case or on the packing box I don't know. When I get home I will look to see if I still have the original box and see what is on that.

Rod
I contacted Ring this morning and got this reply, if it helps anyone else. i need to find my number now.

The software update only affects users that use solar.

If you are reading the version please read both parts since for some reason they have written it on the same side of the charger under Q.C sticker.

If the version number is less than A024324171115 then it will need updating.

Thanks Rod. Looks like mine needs updating!! It will have to wait until the end of the season now.

Hi,

We've got the Ring Automotive installed and it was all working fine until we installed the solar panel. It's a 300w panel and worked fine for the first few days. But now for some reason the battery appears to drain dramatically when plugging a phone on charge into the usb port. The battery was bought brand new and we've not had any problems with it up until now.
Following this post, I wonder whether it is to do with the solar panel and software? Any light shed on this would be much appreciated.

Once the unit receives an input from the solar panel it will not revert back charging from the vehicle. You will have to disconnect the Ring from the leisure battery and then re connect it to reset it. You may be able to get the software updated by returning it to Ring.

I've now had mine for almost twelve months since it had its firmware update and I have been away in the camper for 94 nights since then. During that time the unit has only failed to switch to alternator charge mode three times.

Our solar panel is 100W and charges well through the RSCDC30.

I would suggest you speak to RING Technical try contacting them from here Contact Us

Hi, I have fitted an rscdc30 to my 17 plate t6 and like others get the E0 code. Prior to fitting the unit I contacted ring to ask if I needed to earth the leisure battery or whether this was done via their unit. They told me I did not need to earth it so I have followed their instructions. I have connected the battery to a switch panel with a volt meter and it shows wildly fluctuating voltage. My led lights work for a short while then stop. I have tested the voltage across the battery and it is constant. I have checked all my Earth's and all ok. I have taken a +tve direct from leisure battery to switch and still the same issue. The only thing I can think it could be is if the rscdc unit is in error or sleeping then will the leisure battery be earthing? Any other thoughts on what could cause the wild battery voltage fluctuations? It is a brand new agm ah100 battery. Solar priority is also turned off.

The leisure battery(ies) should have its (their) negative terminal(s) connected to chassis (earth) by a thick cable as short as possible.

Personally I have two leisure batteries both earthed at the same location with a shunt in circuit so that I can monitor the current going in and out of them but that's a luxury you don't need.

Rod

Absolutely! You must have the leisure battery negative connected to the van body otherwise no charging can take place!!!!

@travelvolts whilst on the subject of the Ring, would you be able to clarify this for me, please; there’s no ignition wire to the unit, so I presume that, through it’s connection with the starter battery, it knows when the starter battery is receiving charge from the alternator.. So if I needed to charge both the starter and the leisure battery, could I just charge-up the starter battery (with it in situ via the cigarette socket) and expect the Ring to take charge from that and feed it in to the leisure battery (almost as if the Ring thinks that the van engine is running, because you’re loading the starter battery with charge)?

@travelvolts whilst on the subject of the Ring, would you be able to clarify this for me, please; there’s no ignition wire to the unit, so I presume that, through it’s connection with the starter battery, it knows when the starter battery is receiving charge from the alternator.. So if I needed to charge both the starter and the leisure battery, could I just charge-up the starter battery (with it in situ via the cigarette socket) and expect the Ring to take charge from that and feed it in to the leisure battery (almost as if the Ring thinks that the van engine is running, because you’re loading the starter battery with charge)?

That does work BUT if you are running a Bluemotion vehicle it will confuse the vehicle charging regime.

Personally I would avoid that scenario unless for some extreme reason you have run the vehicle battery down.

Rod

PS @travelvolts my RING unit now seems to be behaving OK since the software update, that's the reason for me to have the charge/discharge monitoring (see above) just to be able to keep an eye on its behaviour. We've just had five weeks in Europe and had just one instance where it didn't cut in to charge from the engine in a morning after a night's battery usage. The usual fix of entering config mode and exiting without changing anything cleared that problem. We are off across the channel again for a month soon so I'll keep an eye on it.

Not if you connect the charger negative cable to a body earth instead of battery negative. But I agree, I would avoid this scenario. It is never recommended to constantly charge a starter duty battery.

Not if you connect the charger negative cable to a body earth instead of battery negative. But I agree, I would avoid this scenario. It is never recommended to constantly charge a starter duty battery.
Agreed, sorry for the error.

Turns out the +be wire from vehicle battery was loose, once secured charging seems ok again now. The erratic voltage probably caused by intermittent connection...

So I have just set my solar system up using the ring d2d but Im getting an E5 fault even with the battery being less the 12v any help would be great thanks

Back