Reversing Camera - wiring harness route

I’d concentrate on installing your Dashcam first. One step at a time.
It will give you the confidence to then tackle slightly bigger tasks.
Your Dashcam install isn’t going to be affected by what you do later on.
I would suggest that you install an extra pull wire when you route your rear camera wiring as that will make it easier for you when you or whoever run the solar wiring; that will run behind the kitchen cupboards too.
I also, personally, wouldn‘t use Hillside to retrofit your solar panel or wire it in.
There will be other companies that will be more knowledgeable on the solar.
I’m sure you would get recommendations on this forum.
When I purchased my camper I asked Hillside about solar; they wouldn‘t fit a larger wattage panel and wouldn’t fit a Victron MPPT charger (probably the best you can buy). They only wanted to fit their preferred system and when I queried it further it boiled down to what price they can get the equipment for and their experience of warranty claims. I didn’t bother.

Okay cool, appreciate the input.

If anyone has any experience on a) auto engineers happy to do these bits (if I make errors) and b) solar installers in liverpool area, feel free to signpost.

On the point of possibly powering dash cam direct from leisure battery under driver seat. Can I ask what that would look like? A partic wire etc?

Can I also ask…

If I introduced a switch in wire from leisure to dash cam (for periods of not using parking mode) would I also need a switch from starter to dash cam so as not to drain that.

Or is low voltage protection enough?

Or am I over complicating?

Starting to try and ‘map’ my route and think I can solve the starter battery fused connection, the ground wire, i need to understand splicing wire and how that connects direct to leisure direct (is this achievable or do I need some step down/ protection?)

Again sorry for all questions, you have all helped a lot image.jpg

I’ve quickly done a sketch from your sketch. You wont need a switch on the ignition live as it doesn’t have power unless the ignition is on so won’t drain the starter.

This post should help with the ignition live feed.

Thread 'Piggybacking Fuses'
Piggybacking Fuses

For the permanent leisure feed

I’d need to see your leisure battery wiring in more detail to make suggestions, but basically:
You need to trace the positive wire from your leisure battery under your drivers seat to see what it connects to.
I expect that there will be a convenient point where you can easily take an additional wire off on an existing connection.
Fuse it just after the takeoff point.
You could even take an additional wire straight off the positive of the leisure battery if you are really stuck.
Fusing it appropriately immediately is the most important thing so as to protect the wire.

For removing the seat see this thread

Thread 'Driver seat removal to get to leisure battery'
Driver seat removal to get to leisure battery

or this thread

Thread 'Removing captain chairs'
Removing captain chairs

Hope that helps

IMG_0909.jpeg

Apols all, busy with work!!

So I sh*t the bed and booked into an auto engineer.

They have advised they can do what I need, I showed they the route/ plan as per all the helpful input from this form etc.

Dropped off today for the work…

They are now suggesting the camera already has the required leads to run with low voltage protection to STARTER battery.

I knew this and could have wired up front cam myself to this effect.

am I correct to push for them to wire to leisure battery under drivers seat with a switch to switch off when parking mode not required?

Also, I have a split replay charger that I under stood was NOT a DC to DC charger and in the future had planned an amt12-2 upgrade DC ti DC for Solar etc etc.

They have advised the split relay charges starter from battery and vice versa. I had understood this was not the case and the van running charges the leisure but the leisure does not charge the starter?!

If anyone is in a position for a swift reply, they are calling back shortly.

BW all, Chris

If you have a leisure battery and intend to leave in parking mode for more than daily drive periods wire it to the leisure system.

The point of all the equipment in the leisure system is to protect your starter battery so you can always start the vehicle and move/generate - don't reduce that protection unless you really have to.

If you have a basic split charge relay then they are correct (partially) that charge will flow both ways but only when the relay is engaged and that will be with the engine running. It will not be engaged when the van is stored or if you are camping without running the engine for a few days, which is the use case to trickle charge the starter.

Ok cool.

Thanks so much for swift reply.

The amount they have charged (and I agreed to pay to get the rear cam wire threaded largely) I would hope it’s a a pretty slick job!

They did however want 170£ to fit a BM2 to leisure. I declined that and did myself.

They also wanted nearly 250 to convert current hab lights switch into a two way and stick a rocker switch by sliding door.

Currently declined that too…awaiting quote for Solar but am not too hopeful!

I wrote about what happens with split charge relays, stop/start and equalisation here:

Back