Reverse Camera wiring in tailgate

Newcs

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

I’m hoping someone can give me some tips regarding how to pull the reverse camera wires through the tailgate.

I managed to get a piece of galvanised wire through to route cables into the tailgate after a good hour of frustration.

I then attached a piece of 1mm wire through and fed this in as I hope to leave it in there for future and have tried to pull the reverse camera wire through with that.

3 hours later and still no joy. The connector appears to be getting stuck somewhere and I’m conscious that if I pull to hard the connectors will get stuck.

Does anyone have any tips for getting the connector through the tailgate? It obviously goes as people have done this but after 4 hours in total I’m close to giving up!

Help!

Hi,

I’m hoping someone can give me some tips regarding how to pull the reverse camera wires through the tailgate.

I managed to get a piece of galvanised wire through to route cables into the tailgate after a good hour of frustration.

I then attached a piece of 1mm wire through and fed this in as I hope to leave it in there for future and have tried to pull the reverse camera wire through with that.

3 hours later and still no joy. The connector appears to be getting stuck somewhere and I’m conscious that if I pull to hard the connectors will get stuck.

Does anyone have any tips for getting the connector through the tailgate? It obviously goes as people have done this but after 4 hours in total I’m close to giving up!

Help!

If it’s a normal connector I would write the pin order to paper and depin, no need to pull the plastic bits through. That is, take wires off from the connector without cutting. Not sure about Fakra connectors though if it’s like that - never dealt with them.

Wrap the end of the wires with electrical tape or such so that there’s no sharp corners. And use eg soapy water, wd40 or household oil to lubricate the taped lump so that it’s a glidy as possible.

Reactions: mmi
I did think about that but the pins are tiny and not sure how I would go about getting them out. I do have some pin removal tools though.

This is the small connector.

A59388F8-F1DA-4210-8312-A410B01B9515.jpeg

Hi,
Was the most time consuming bit to do.
In the end. I pulled the rubber ends out of the tailgate and top of van. Pop’ed a small fibreglass pulling rod though with electrical tape on end with wd40. Slide though much better. Also rolled back rubber a bit.
Did try heat gun on rubber for a bit, but did naff all.
Hope this helps?
A cold beer also helps!

Last edited:
Beer would have been good but I had to go to work! I thought I had the hardest bit done getting the first cable through. Clearly not!

Back