Reverse camera and Kenwood stereo

Jerry Wales

VIP Member
Reading the various threads about wiring reversing cameras I am feeling the consensus is that a relay is needed to supply a clean 12volt feed to the camera. Could I ask the experts: where is the best and simplest place to pick up a live feed either in the cab area, would be great it there was a live feed that could be accessed during the head unit install or in the tailgate

Many thanks

Reading the various threads about wiring reversing cameras I am feeling the consensus is that a relay is needed to supply a clean 12volt feed to the camera. Could I ask the experts: where is the best and simplest place to pick up a live feed either in the cab area, would be great it there was a live feed that could be accessed during the head unit install or in the tailgate

Many thanks

What headunit do you have?

All you need to do is connect the corrresponding Rwanda k cables from the camera to the Kenwood 516 wires, job done

Thank you replying. I am assuming that Rwanda K is an auto type for maybe R and K? cables? I haven't looked at the back of the head unit yet but the diagram for the camera shows the video cord going to the head unit and the power cord going to a switchable power supply. Are you saying that both the video and power cables connect direct to the head unit... and no need to tap into the reversing light feed as mentioned above.

Could I ask you a different question: I currently have a T5.1 (picking the T6 up in a couple of weeks). The T5 radio reception is rubbish down here in Cornwall I am assuming the T6 will be the same. Do you have a fix to improve the reception? I will be coming past you in a couple of weeks.

Again many thanks for taking the time to help.

Happy New Year

Bloody predictable text

Connect the cameras red and black wires to the corresponding wires on the 516, job done as the 516 picks up the reverse feed via the CanBus

If the 516 came out of the T5 then you need a different harness for the T6, plus a usb retention kit

The only way to improve the same setup in aerials on both vehicles is have a roof mount installed

Pop in

It will be a new install so sounds straight forward.

Really appreciate your help.

I will contact you directly when I know when I will be passing.

Thanks again.

Hi everyone I need a little help with my reverse camera, I've got the kenwood 518vdabs stereo and I've bought the reverse camera from skipton car audio. Where do I pick up the local feed for the camera. The camera has the ground and power attached to it.

It's probably been listed before but as there that many cameras out on the market I can't find what exactly what I'm looking for as to the wiring.

It's a t6 2018 model swb.

Many thanks and go easy on me lol

What power does the camera need? Constant live, ignition live or reverse live?

I wired mine into the 12 volt supply for the head unit and it works fine. Including when the head unit is turned off. As soon as I select ‘Reverse’ the camera automatically turns on along with the reverse camera image.

You don’t need to go to the fuse box.

Hi everyone I need a little help with my reverse camera, I've got the kenwood 518vdabs stereo and I've bought the reverse camera from skipton car audio. Where do I pick up the local feed for the camera. The camera has the ground and power attached to it.

It's probably been listed before but as there that many cameras out on the market I can't find what exactly what I'm looking for as to the wiring.

It's a t6 2018 model swb.

Many thanks and go easy on me lol

Connect the cameras power wire to the Kenwoods red wire, the Kenwood has a reverse feed already driven from the black CanBus box behind it

This gives you both options, reverse image and allows you to see behind you when driving

Connect the cameras power wire to the Kenwoods red wire, the Kenwood has a reverse feed already driven from the black CanBus box behind it

This gives you both options, reverse image and allows you to see behind you when driving
Many thanks will be on my next job to sort out tomorrow

following this thread andsorry to jump in here but how do you no what radio you have in the vehicle as I am hopeing to put a reversing camera in my 2018 transporter

following this thread andsorry to jump in here but how do you no what radio you have in the vehicle as I am hopeing to put a reversing camera in my 2018 transporter

You mean if you want to add a camera to your existing VW radio?

It’s just not worth the money. I have 2018 Highline. And the OEM stereo is not compatible with VW’s own camera.

I found a company in Dorset did an option to make the existing unit compatible.

But financially it’s not much more for a decent aftermarket unit with Carplay.

There is another place in London that does the OEM Discovery head unit for around £2k with camera another £800

It’s an easy job to put the camera in yourself.

And not too bad in doing the head unit. But next time I will
pay someone to do it!

We are based near Stonehenge Wiltshire, we can add a reverse camera to any of the T6 head units

cheers ethan will have a look at the link thank you again

No worries mate.

This is the company in London that do the Discovery unit. If you want OEM VW.

But personally you get a better experience with an aftermarket unit I think in terms of the viewable info.

The guys at Absolut5 are fantastic too. And in hindsight I wish I had gone to them in the first place. Especially as they can offer a Kenwood unit with virtually all VW functionality. They gave me a lot of advice over the phone and on here on the forums. And I didn’t actually buy my Pioneer from them. They are very knowledgeable and helpful and NICE!

So I can whole heartedly recommend them.

Best wishes in what you decide.

Hi all

picked up our t6 which has a Garmin DNX516DABS headunit fitted.

I’m told the head unit was factory reset before we picked it up and now the reverse camera display is black screen whereas it was working before the reset and showing the picture behind the van.

the seller has taken it out and checked connections and the wiring into the camera in the tailgate but nothing obvious explains it.

anyone seen anything similar or suggestions ?

thanks
Richard

Back