tailgate - opening from inside?

The OEM switch is pretty easy to install as it simply connects onto the wires for the outside handle (passing through the child lock switch also if you wish to fit one) the only issue is button illumination as there is no ambient lighting feed in the rear to power the button light
If you get stuck with the connector give me a shout I can supply and/or pre wire a connector for you if needed
Pauly, sound proofing my van and need to remove the tailgate door switch but tried using trim tool but seems tight. Does it just pop out of door card ?

Yes it pops out, can’t remember if you have to take switch out of trim first ??

The trim and the switch pop out together. Pry it from the bottom.

The OEM switch is pretty easy to install as it simply connects onto the wires for the outside handle (passing through the child lock switch also if you wish to fit one) the only issue is button illumination as there is no ambient lighting feed in the rear to power the button light
If you get stuck with the connector give me a shout I can supply and/or pre wire a connector for you if needed

Hi Pauly, many thanks for the info. A plug with enough wire to connect to the outside handle would be great. If that's a faff for you please what type of plug is it and which pins do I need to use? I'm also struggling to find the part numbers for the grey versions, any idea where best to find them?

Cheers

Seb

Send me a message tonight and I will see what I can find out for you

Yes it will work, @Pauly may be able to provide a part number, personally I just used a push button I had in the garage and tapped in to the existing switch cabling
View attachment 21536
Seems the VW switch only comes in black whitch I feel would look a bit odd in an entirely light gray interior. So think I’ll get a switch like yours and mount it on the door card behind the wardrobe so out of sight but easy to get to.

I'm not as bothered about aesthetics as you and fitted a non matching generic switch in the middle lower down, but bear in mind if you fit it where you're planning openung the tailgate won't be a one-handed operation

When planning location and style of switch also consider inadvertent press of the button

Found this
where they have coded the boot unlock button to release the door when already unlocked. Is there anyone who would know how to do that as would save having a switch at all?

But you would need an electric tailgate for that to work

The point is more that they have coded the key press to release the tailgate not just unlock it. Take away the electric tailgate part and I’ll have what I want.

No you wont, you need an electric tailgate for those functions, they use different keyfobs with extra buttons and different parts on vehicle etc etc its complicated and not possible (unless you spend a couple grand retrofitting electric tailgate!)

Ok thanks. So just to confirm, it’s impossible to change the boot unlock button on fob to the function of activate boot release when van is already unlocked?

When planning location and style of switch also consider inadvertent press of the button
Yes, the one I fitted was from a fiesta or something like that, where you have to put your hand in and press up against a membrane switch which stops it being opened when accidentally knocked

To help you to avoid wrong colour here are part numbers for a factory fitted black switch ;) from a panel van:
Switch 7E5959551 (black)
Frame 7E0858099 (black)
View attachment 21556
The OEM switch has 180 ohm resistor built in between pins 1 and 4 (switch doesn't short circuit but 180 ohms) but anything less than 370 ohms seemed to work.

In my panel van the switch was active (to open the tailgate) only when doors were unlocked as it seemed to be just parallel to outside switch. Couldn't open it if doors were locked by remote. I didn't verify it it was different if locked from drivers door :unsure:.

Just an update as I had my hands on a van without tailgate switch inside (was not available as factory option anymore).

Surprise, surprise, connecting an OEM switch (with 180 ohm resistor) just parallel to outside handle doesn't do the trick - open the lock. The outside handle switch is "real" switch - a short-circuiting one. So I had to revert to an after-market solution - just a simple switch :thumbsdown:.

Makes me think that in the van with switch inside, there probably had to be a couple of additional wires running all the way to BCM just for this purpose :cautious:. Certainly a configuration management challenge o_O at VW.

EDIT: added cross-reference -

EDIT2 (3 years later): The BCM differentiates switches inside and outside by the 180 resistance on the wires. Thus internal switch needs to be coded as a) installed and b) enabled. This coding allows tailgate opening from inside even when the doors are locked.

According to the wiring diagram both switches share the same cabling (and i confirmed this on the tailgate loom i ripped out of my van)
One side is a perm negative and the other switches this negative back to BCM

Reactions: mmi
Back