Retain rear-heater in Shuttle-based Camper?

Steved55

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Having completed the wheelchair access removal we are now moving on to the camper conversion. I have read numerous posts on shuttle conversions, but can't convince myself on the usefulness of retaining the rear hvac unit. We will fit a separate diesel night heater as part of the conversion, and generally there will only be the two of us in the van.

Our Shuttle has three way climate control - if I disconnect the rear, is this going to throw up errors which will need vagcom to resolve?

As I understand it, the rear system only functions with the engine running without an expensive software upgrade to fire up the engine heat system. Am I missing something? Your views on practicalities/impracticalities of keeping/removing the system would be appreciated.

Anyone any knowledge on this please?

Many thanks
Steve

Hi I had my 2017 Shuttle converted last year and took mine out. There was no problem with the controls except that I have redundant switches. The difficulty I had was getting someone to remove it. In the end I had the whole aircon decommissioned and drained. I removed the rear unit to allow the conversion to start. The problem I then had were the pipes which I have in fact left under the vehicle as they are covered by all the heat shields and I do not have the facilities to work on them. You can quite easily disconnect the rear air con pipes and have to link two tubes under the van before you have it regassed. We have a diesel heater and that is more than efficient, all the vents etc. were taken out when the conversion was completed. I have sold a lot of the interior but still have some bits to sell. The link from YouTube is worth viewing
and explains it a lot better. Let me know if I can help further.

Good video - didn’t say what he did with the aux diesel heater. It was left in, however, was it still live or disabled via VCDS?

Back