Replacing Radiator.

Mkgolfnutters

VCDS User
VIP Member
Hi All, I broke down yesterday with the water temp light coming on. When I called VW Assist, the guy they sent out immediately diagnosed it as a stone chip on the radiator.....has anyone else come across this? The van has only done 10k miles.....

Not seen it on the coolant rad, but I know a mate who’s had it happen to their air con condenser. Lost all their gas.

Obviously not age or mileage related, just bad luck. :thumbsdown:

Yeh that's possible, had similar years ago on a car.

The T6 has various rads at the front. AC, water, oil, charge..... etc.

I suppose the water rad is at the very front.

edit @Grim Reaper said: intercooler, at front, then air con then water radiator. The cooler on top of the engine is the egr cooler on mine.

You can check yourself, fill with water and start engine.... as it gets warm the water will start dripping/steaming out the hole. Look through the front grill and see what rad is leaking.

I think the air con radiator is at the front, then intercooler then water radiator, though they are all different sizes so only small bits of successive radiators stick out beyond the previous one, you’d have to be very unlucky to get a hole in the rearmost radiator.

Just as an aside, isn’t the Euro6 charge cooler on the top of the engine and water cooled? Certainly a boost pipe runs through a cooler on top of the engine on my 102?

My rad is at the front everything’s behind the rad just find it strange every other transporter has had the inter cooler in front

Sorry wrong order, intercooler, air con then water IMG20190106175049.jpg radiator. The cooler on top of the engine is the egr cooler on mine.

If your van is out of warranty and you need a new rad to fit your self make sure you are sitting down if you ask VW for a price! I've recently been blown that track with my T5. Eventual supplier was Euro Car Parts, rad and coolant for less than £90.

I did get one from VW as the vans is so new no where else does them so had to bite the bullet £246.23

Just thought I would update you on this bought a new radiator from VW as that is what I was told
From VW assist. So was booked into a friends garage. He stripped the front end of then rang me to tell me it is the charge cooler radiator that had suffered the stone chip, not the main radiator.
Just in case anyone else gas this problem.

204 BHP

I hope VW accept a return on the radiator since their Assist 'Engineer' sent you off on a wrong path.

However it now remains to find out the reason for your original problem, I can’t see a leaky intercooler causing high water temperature, or could it?

The water temp stayed at 90 thats why I carried on as I was in the road works the oil temp stayed normal as well,

Interesting, that’s why we got Zunsport to put one of their grills behind our front grill to stop stones going through and damaging our radiator and ruining our trip to Mongolia. We also reinforced the front windscreen with a plastic film and have had several stones bounce off it.

Back