Replaced Air Filter - big difference

AussieMick

T6 Guru
I have a 2016 T6 FWD Euro 5 140 HP van.
My air filter had done about 44000kms, many of those on dusty roads. It had been replaced at 30,000km by VW. So van has done about 74000km now.
My engine appeared to be working fine but I thought because of hardish use [Dusty roads] , I would inspect the air filter. It appeared reasonable and I decided to replace it anyway.
I have just returned from a 3 day trip and was amazed at how much better my van ran , It appeared to have more power and got the best fuel consumption I have seen for a long time.
So from now on I think I shall replace it every 20,000km or so.

Anybody wondering about poor fuel economy maybe try replacing Air Filter first , as they are reasonably cheap and easy to replace yourself.

Last edited:
Good advice Mick

I also change mine after every long trip, as we tend to travel on unsealed roads, i was shocked me how dirty the filter was from the last trip and i replaced it before that trip, i also fitted a new cabin filter as that was very dusty after 3 months of installing a new one before the trip

As for the air filter, i normally grab one from the dealer, as its better than a Ryco, as the Ryco doesn't have the foam part of the filter that the OEM does, and they are both around the same price.

i'm itching to head off again

Time to scratch that itch when you can I reckon , Bryn
Noticed the Ryco didn't have the foam pad. I guess that acts as a pre filter.
Now you have me thinking if I should remove pad from vw one and clean it and stick it to the new ryco.???

Its feeling a bit like that at the moment, but, not sure if its worth it if we can't get back home to QLD if they change the rules

hopefully we will be back on the road for a 2 month trip down the east coast beach hopping in March, as we might see some stability on border closures then.

I've currently got the Ryco in at the moment, and a spare OEM on the workbench, i was going to change it due to the no foam, but the next road trip will just be 99% tar-seal roads, so i'm not too concerned, i'll change for when we head west again.

I didn't think of removing the foam pad and cleaning it and using it with the Ryco, that would work

I have a 2016 T6 FWD Euro 5 140 HP van.
My air filter had done about 44000kms, many of those on dusty roads. It had been replaced at 30,000km by VW. So van has done about 74000km now.
My engine appeared to be working fine but I thought because of hardish use [Dusty roads] , I would inspect the air filter. It appeared reasonable and I decided to replace it anyway.
I have just returned from a 3 day trip and was amazed at how much better my van ran , It appeared to have more power and got the best fuel consumption I have seen for a long time.
So from now on I think I shall replace it every 20,000km or so.

Anybody wondering about poor fuel economy maybe try replacing Air Filter first , as they are reasonably cheap and easy to replace yourself.
Yes, we know that high tech diagnostics are an important part of T6 repairs and maintenance but, as you say, don't forget the basics, if the engine isn't breathing properly it can't run as efficiently.

Yes, we know that high tech diagnostics are an important part of T6 repairs and maintenance but, as you say, don't forget the basics, if the engine isn't breathing properly it can't run as efficiently.
Wot? I’ll just get it mapped then, mate!!!

(JOKE!!!)

Whilst you're at it, change the pollen filter in the cab as that helps with the air you are using in side the van. Changed mine start of the year (it had never been changed) and as you can see needed it:
IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG

Back