Timing issues

pikeman2210

VIP Member
T6 from new (Feb 18), 4 motion converted to camper at new. Just under 30, 000 miles. Changing the timing belt as not had it done since new. Due to low mileage not changing the water pump or other items other than auxiliary belt. Both belts look excellent on inspection but as the belts are 6 years old and I had new ones ready might as well change them. Tensioner broke whilst tightening up on the new belt but that is secondary issue. Broke at the Allen key hole. So waiting for replacement to arrive. Main point of writing is when I was locking the cams before taking the belt off. Crank and cam shafts lined up, but the high pressure (fuel pump) cam didn't. Nothing new there, but was miles out. Somewhere about 30 degrees away ( more clockwise) I would say. Slackened off the nut and then turned the cam anti clockwise to line up the timing pin / slot. The cam moved easily for about 15 degrees but after that started to recoil if let go before the locking pin was inserted. Is this normal?
For the record it was a sod to get the air filter box out and the bracket which holds the air intake pipe below the air sensor. Why they use T10 screws and not small bolts I don't know. Lot of things on vehicles these days that need re-designing.
Regards
Stephen

Back