Minor paint repair

Cupotea

Good morning all,

A couple of weeks ago whilst heading back from a lovely trip to France, a complete numpty decided to drive the wrong way down a one-way route at a service station and tried to scrape past my van. The damage (pic below) was minor but the other driver didn't seem quite with it and was also in a hire car which meant I had to get insurance involved in case he told fibs.

Fast forward a little while and it's booked in to be repaired next week. My concern is they have said they will paint the whole wing and door (and possibly bumper) when it could be repaired just by doing the flat section that runs through all panels, therefore minimising potential colour match issues. The repair place has told me not to worry as their automagical machine creates a perfect match. Am I overthinking it? The other option is to get the local chips away guy (who's very good) to do it and ask the insurance to pay him instead which would be less anyway.

If the whole panels are done, should I be looking to decontaminate them (Iron X, clay etc.) beforehand to give a decent base for it?

IMG_6090.jpeg

Cheers,

Pete

Pete,

If you’ve done your research and chosen the bodyshop then leave them to it - just tell them if it has wax / ceramic coating on so they know.

This was my other toy going in for a new door after someone reversed into it while parked up. You see the whole side was painted and is a really good match. The other panels to be painted were fully prepped.

IMG_1474.jpeg

Pete,

If you’ve done your research and chosen the bodyshop then leave them to it - just tell them if it has wax / ceramic coating on so they know.
I think this is the critical bit to me - did he choose the bodyshop himself or is it one the insurance guys arranged?

I think this is the critical bit to me - did he choose the bodyshop himself or is it one the insurance guys arranged?
I didn’t arrange it. The place is KC Autos in Northwich. Yelp has them rated terribly at 1.5 out of 5 but trust pilot is a lot higher.

Insurance companies tend to use large faceless repair shops that can produce shocking results. Have you seen any of there finished repairs?

Insurance companies tend to use large faceless repair shops that can produce shocking results. Have you seen any of there finished repairs?
No. I’m tempted to look around. There’s enough scary reviews to make me not want to risk a nightmare for something that should be minor.

Back