Renting out my van, anyone have recommendations for insurance?

Flex2D

Hello, I have converted my van to a camper and thinking of renting it out to make some cash on the side. Doe any one know what insurance companies might cover this or does anyone else do this and could provide some recommendations. every insurance company i call seems to decline conversions. cheers
DG

You will need a self drive hire policy, try Alan Boswell.

Also remember there's more involved when renting it out. You will need a Landlord Gas Safety Cert, smoke/Carbon detectors. Few things to look into. The policies are expensive so make sure its going to be worth it for you. You will need more than 'a few' hires to cover the cost of the policy

aah right, yeah i had my van gas cert'd yesterday and passed all ok. Thanks for the recommendation on the insurance company, much appreciated!
One other thing which has been illusive is the contracts terms and conditions. I got a hire contract written up but i can't see where / how it would stop someone driving off with your van and not returning it. I have written up terms and conditions but not really sure of the process. I don't suppose this is something you could advise on or provide some insight. I guess getting a traceable deposit, utility bills, gov license check. is this all one needs?
Many thanks DG

As part of your insurance you will have to obtain:
Photo License
Online License check (shows any points or convictions)
2 proof of address within 3 months
Traceable deposit

Also, get a tracker. I know where my van is at all times.

Lastly, detatch yourself from your van. You will struggle to hire it out whilst you remain to intend on using it as stuff WILL get damaged, lost etc. Every little thing will bug you as its 'your baby'

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, definitely not cheap insurance but I guess its the only option for renting out the van without going through a portal.
Yeah its gonna be hard to detach as i have spent the last year spending silly money on it, oh well is what it is i guess.
Appreciated
Daniel

Lastly, detatch yourself from your van. You will struggle to hire it out whilst you remain to intend on using it as stuff WILL get damaged, lost etc. Every little thing will bug you as its 'your baby'
This is exactly why I would never do it. I'm probably a little too obsessive about my stuff so would never entertain the idea of anybody else using my van. I still haven't let my partner drive it and she's a named driver! :rofl: I totally understand why some would do it though, an asset that sits on your drive for a lot of the time. But I am lucky enough that my work life allows me plenty of opportunity to use it pretty much every week (just need the weather! ) Best of luck with the venture OP, I too am very interested to see how it goes.

It’s hard enough to make money renting a house with the amount of damage and cleaning required.

I still haven't let my partner drive it and she's a named driver! :rofl: I totally understand why some would do it though, an asset that sits on your drive for a lot of the time.

Similar situation here with spouse!
As van is my only vehicle/daily drive it's not an issue.

As for renting out, no {letter between E & G} way. If the vehicle is "just a van" to you then good luck. For most of us a campervan is an extension of home, our personal space, ourselves.

Be really, really honest with yourself - in a hotel or rented accommodation which you do not own are you always as careful as you might be in your own place?

Awning is writeoff , broken poptop clips, new windscreen, light paint scratches, seat stains, worn areas of carpet lining, food embedded in carpet lining, stains on poptop canvas, speeding at 85+. Just the tip of the iceberg. I would not advise it for the little gain.

People trash the van basically.. the time to put everything back as it should be will take days. Just cleaning the van after one return took me 6.5hr. Not worth tbh

People trash the van basically.. the time to put everything back as it should be will take days. Just cleaning the van after one return took me 6.5hr. Not worth tbh
This is why I would never do it. Not a chance. I love my van. No one else would treat it with the same care.

I've been doing it for just over a year now and I suppose I must have been lucky because out of the many many hires, I've not had a bad one yet. 2 hour turnaround and its back out again the same day

thanks for sharing and sorry to hear.
i guess if you buy/have a van with the intention of renting in the first place (and thus, lower emotional attachment to it) it wouldn't be as bad...
also taking a bigger/stricter deposit might help?

but yeah not something i could do. my OCD is bad enough with the wife and dog using it!!

Back