Removing magnetic GB sticker!?

Whilst I'm amazed to see that this has happened, I would have thought that they are only expected to be left on for a couple of weeks at a time.

I think you need to try a sticker remover and heat as suggested and just work away at it with your finger. You said you got virtually nowhere with a CC which I guess means you did get somewhere. So I guess grab a stall and laboriously work away at it.

Or buy a bigger sticker to cover it ;)

Is this exact sticker still available? maybe buy another so you can see what the adhesive is and try different solvents on it

I bought some Autoglym tar remover this morning. It’s very effective at removing tar spots, worked in an instant on the few I had. However it hasn’t made much of an impression on the sticker remains after quite a long slog. Quite a lot of black residue has come off on the cloth, and I’ve managed to chip off a tiny amount around the edge, but I don’t think this is going to remove anything like all of it. Can’t get my hands on a hairdryer at the moment, I’ll try that later, in combination with the tar remover. Part of the trouble is that the stuff that’s left is very thick, almost 1 mm I’d say, and attached so fast onto the paintwork that there’s no way for solvent to attack the surface in contact with the paintwork. This is really annoying!

Gasket remover is lethal stuff, I'm not sure I would want it anywhere near my paintwork.

They had ‘Start Ya B*stard’ at GSF years ago, and I thought it was a wind up. I should’ve bought a van as I never saw it again. :cool:

So now I’ve got my hands on a hairdryer, I’m making headway, albeit very very slowly... what a faff this is. I found that working the tar remover into the top of the stuff and scraping away with the credit card I was able to gradually reduce the thickness of the layer. Then with repeated short blasts with the hairdryer and careful scraping with the corner of the credit card I was able to very slowly peel away tiny pieces of slightly softened glue/plastic. I’ve been at it sometime and got perhaps half of it off, but at least I know that with the patience of a saint this method will eventually remove it all. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Lesson to be learned.... don’t leave magnetic badges on your van for more than a few weeks :mad:

I didn't think we needed to use the GB stickers anymore as long as we had GB on our number plates.
Realise thats no help whatsoever.:confused:
I'd try the hairdryer method. I used it on my head and all my hair came off.

Edit: Just seen your reply above mine. Hairdryer worked then.:thumbsup:

I left a magnetic 'Compressed Gas' sign on the back of my metallic red tailgate for a few months, when I took it off, I swear the magnet had realigned all the metallic particles in the paint, and left a perfect square of a lighter colour.

I left a magnetic 'Compressed Gas' sign on the back of my metallic red tailgate for a few months, when I took it off, I swear the magnet had realigned all the metallic particles in the paint, and left a perfect square of a lighter colour.

hmm yes I’m not sure yet but it looks to me as if the paint has faded under the badge. I’ll see for sure when it’s all cleaned up.

Yeah, 'faded UNDER the badge' not what I expected, if the bit under the badge was darker than the surrounding paintwork I'd have understood that, but the other way round??:confused:

Oh, I've used it, it stings like buggery if you get it on your skin, and if it can lift gasket sealant like it does, I'm not letting it get on any of my paintwork, you go ahead though.

Back