Remap 199 to 150?

Andyman

Photographer
T6 Guru
I know it’s been spoke about and I can’t find the post/thread

can I remap a 199 to a 150 and get the better fuel
Consumption, someone said something about turbo being different, can’t recall exactly,

my T6.1 199 really isn’t cost effective for me, my T6 150 was perfectly so, can I rewind it? Would it help
My mpg

The 199 is much more than a 150 with different software. The turbocharger has 2 sequential compressors (bi-turbo) as opposed to the single turbo of the 150. The fuel supply, head, cams and valves will be different to in order for the 199 to make more power.

So in a word, no.

The only way to drive a 150 is to buy one, but then when you factor in the cost to change, that money will pay for one hell of a lot of extra diesel.

@dubber36 thanks I think I understand, well at least the bottom line is, sell the 199 lose some money pay some money buy a 150

with my mileage around 4-5k monthly I’m still probably best off going that route

anyone got a T6.1 150bhp they want to sell exchange?

my T6.1 199 really isn’t cost effective for me, my T6 150 was perfectly so, can I rewind it? Would it help My mpg
Interesting question -

I drove a T6 150 for two years three months, 38668 km. Then identical T6 204 now for three years two months and has accumulated 53425 km.
Both T6's are LWB, DSG, 4Motion, two sliders, tailgate, same options, same tyres (and pressures), same driver :cool:, same routes, same daily routines, etc.

The 150 burned a total of 3381.9 litres of diesel, of which 143.2 litres were used by Webasto aux/cabin heater.
The 204 has now guzzled a total of 4612.4 litres of diesel, of which 160.8 litres have been used by Webasto aux/cabin heater.

However, calculating the numbers over distance driven turns out that actually the 204 has given better fuel consumption figures - though marginally, just by 1%.

This thread got me thinking, how much difference does it really make?
So I used a website
Surprisingly (to me anyway) it makes quite a bit of difference, but of course a minority of people will do 5,000 miles a month, or 60K miles a year.

Anyway, if you do that sort of mileage, and fuel costs £1.30/litre, and you average 32MPG, you're spending £923 per month on fuel. :cry:
So, you change your van to a van that now does 36MPG, all other factors remain the same, you're spending £820 per month on fuel. :(

I suppose a £100 per month fuel saving isn't actually such a big deal when you're spending the big part of a grand a month already! :slow rofl:

This thread got me thinking, how much difference does it really make?
So I used a website
Surprisingly (to me anyway) it makes quite a bit of difference, but of course a minority of people will do 5,000 miles a month, or 60K miles a year.

Anyway, if you do that sort of mileage, and fuel costs £1.30/litre, and you average 32MPG, you're spending £923 per month on fuel. :cry:
So, you change your van to a van that now does 36MPG, all other factors remain the same, you're spending £820 per month on fuel. :(

I suppose a £100 per month fuel saving isn't actually such a big deal when you're spending the big part of a grand a month already!
The interesting part here is my 150 seemed to do more than 36mpg
However,
Same size tank, approx 70L 380-400 miles 199 (driving miss daisy) and 520 miles 150 (driving 75-80) your calculation appears right and in perspective

I removed the rolling on floor laughing emoji as it was a smack o the chops lol

The interesting part here is my 150 seemed to do more than 36mpg
However,
Same size tank, approx 70L 380-400 miles 199 (driving miss daisy) and 520 miles 150 (driving 75-80) your calculation appears right and in perspective

I removed the rolling on floor laughing emoji as it was a smack o the chops lol
Only you can know if the fuel saving you'd get (hopefully!) by changing your van makes it worth the undoubted hassle that goes with it, although I guess you change your van at a certain age anyway simply based on the mileage you're doing.
So many members of this forum give hugely different opinions on fuel economy, some talk of high 40's and others are in the 20's, there's a massive variation.
I don't think you should assume that if you got another 150 van, it'd be much more economical than the van you've got now, especially after reading the post by @mmi .

There's plenty of stories on here of some 150's not been great on fuel, it'd be stinger a to go to the hassle and expense of swapping vans only to find you're no better off. Try a remap if you're not concerned about the warranty, it's made my TSI no worse in normal driving, if I try I can do better than before it was mapped also if it makes you feel better my worst was 260 miles on an 80 litre tank!

@DaveD thabks for that, which post by @mmi are you referencing, so I can read
Interesting question -

I drove a T6 150 for two years three months, 38668 km. Then identical T6 204 now for three years two months and has accumulated 53425 km.
Both T6's are LWB, DSG, 4Motion, two sliders, tailgate, same options, same tyres (and pressures), same driver :cool:, same routes, same daily routines, etc.

The 150 burned a total of 3381.9 litres of diesel, of which 143.2 litres were used by Webasto aux/cabin heater.
The 204 has now guzzled a total of 4612.4 litres of diesel, of which 160.8 litres have been used by Webasto aux/cabin heater.

However, calculating the numbers over distance driven turns out that actually the 204 has given better fuel consumption figures - though marginally, just by 1%.

I have had remapped all of my VW TDI engines(I think 5 or 6 in total).
Power/torque has been increased by approximately 30% on each one and every single one resulted with slightly lower fuel consumption.

@DaveD as you mentioned I do change my vans at a certain stage, normally 2yrs 6months to 3 yrs, once warranty has expired or mileage exceeds 120k thereabouts, changing this van now would cost me approximately £7k, then there’s the window tinting, ceramic covering etc another approx grand, HOWEVER, an extra £100 or so per month for 30 - 36 months equals £3600 and I pay it monthly rather than shelling out about £7k

thanks @DaveD thats a very good point of view

@DaveD

Just done a 350 mile round trip, started and finished in a fuel station, filled it up to first click, drove exactly 349.6 miles filled up to first click, fuel price exactly the same, all motorway miles except for 20, representing 10 to and fro motorway, kept speed between 70-75

total cost £61.00
Litres 47
Mpg calculator online = 33.85

what you think?

That doesn’t sound great. My 199 t6.1 does around 36-37 mpg for work during the week (I'm a service engineer) but on a long trip it’s more like 40 mpg although i would drive at 65-70. Are you on standard wheels and tyres?

@Alster
Thanks for reply

I have sportline 18’ on with bog standard Bridgestone boots

if I drive it at 55-60 I will get roughly the same

next test tomorrow is to put it in cruise lock it at 70 and see what it does, same trip

I'd say that's pretty good. I'm lucky if I can get 35mpg from my 150 DSG. I know how to drive economically, so it's not down to driving style. There seems to be quite a lot of inconsistency between vans that are supposedly the same.

Mines just on the standard 17” continental eco tyres but wouldn’t have thought it would make that much difference ?

Back