Reimo Roof Strut Keeps Coming Off

Mccoatup

VIP Member
T6 Pro
The gas roof strut on one side of my Reimo roof keeps pinging off when I put the roof up. The circlip around the 2 ends of the struts are still in place so I am at a loss to understand what's wrong. Anyone else had this problem?

worn ball joint at that end id assume? . . . . .

is it a plastic ball/nylon joint? - with a metal ball?

got a pic?

I re-aligned my Reimo roof a few days ago as the front edge was skewed to one side by about 15mm. After inspecting the rear hinge mounting brackets it was obvious that one bracket had moved 5mm from it’s original position despite the screws being tight.
Quick fix I thought!!! I slackened the rear bracket mounting screws and tried to slide the bracket to the original position. it was not free to move as was obviously loaded by the roof.
I disconnected the hinge linkage and re-positioned the mounting bracket.
Now the fun begins; it took two people to wrestle the roof back into position to get the rear hinge linkage connected.
During this process one of the struts pinged off at both ends as the roof was skewed sideways, once the strut was off it was much easier to connect the hinge.

Have you checked that your roof is correctly aligned as it doesn’t take much force to remove / fit the struts?

The gas roof strut on one side of my Reimo roof keeps pinging off when I put the roof up. The circlip around the 2 ends of the struts are still in place so I am at a loss to understand what's wrong. Anyone else had this problem?

I got an exchange of one of my roof struts as the end cup was not as complete as the other. In essence it was slightly more open, if that make sense.

My fitter took one out of another roof on the shelf and when we compared the cups mine was not as closed. It had only popped off once. Been fine ever since and that was nearly 2 years ago.

The fitters just sent off the old one to Reimo to replace the one out of the shelf roof.

For reference they used a ratchet strap in a loop around the gas strut and ratcheted it down then fitted it and then released the rachet. Reverse procedure for removing.

worn ball joint at that end id assume? . . . . .

is it a plastic ball/nylon joint? - with a metal ball?got a pic?
Thanks. Yes, its a metal ball and a nylon joint with metal circular band circlip thingy. (Photos attached). I had the roof fitted late 2017 and it's only been up and down a few dozen times, so it shouldn't be worn through overuse. However, the problem started after I had to pull the roof down one side at a time with one arm last year as one of my shoulders is u/s and that was the first time it pinged out (the strut - not my shoulder!) As the two nylon end socket pieces are just screw-on, I was hoping I could just get replacement end pieces. I don't think Reimo have a direct sales outlet in the UK but I will give UK Leisureparts a ring today, unless anyone else knows where I might obtain these. Thanks, Bob

Roof Bottom end 1.jpg Roof top end 1.jpg

Thanks. Yes, its a metal ball and a nylon joint with metal circular band circlip thingy. (Photos attached). I had the roof fitted late 2017 and it's only been up and down a few dozen times, so it shouldn't be worn through overuse. However, the problem started after I had to pull the roof down one side at a time with one arm last year as one of my shoulders is u/s and that was the first time it pinged out (the strut - not my shoulder!) As the two nylon end socket pieces are just screw-on, I was hoping I could just get replacement end pieces. I don't think Reimo have a direct sales outlet in the UK but I will give UK Leisureparts a ring today, unless anyone else knows where I might obtain these. Thanks, Bob

View attachment 48658 View attachment 48659
could be a couple of things, 1 - the end has been damaged due to the non-even closing of the roof, or the roof has moved which will mis align the gas struts. Does your roof align correctly in the van, look even at the front and not overhanging? If this is ok then check the distance of each bracket against the rear hinge. If they are not equal, this could pop out the strut.

If all is good, we may be able to get you replacement end pieces, but can’t guarantee that this will fix the problem if something is mis aligned.

Cheers,

Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

could be a couple of things, 1 - the end has been damaged due to the non-even closing of the roof, or the roof has moved which will mis align the gas struts. Does your roof align correctly in the van, look even at the front and not overhanging? If this is ok then check the distance of each bracket against the rear hinge. If they are not equal, this could pop out the strut.

If all is good, we may be able to get you replacement end pieces, but can’t guarantee that this will fix the problem if something is mis aligned.

Cheers,

Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Ian, that's good advice. I have checked today and it doesn't appear to be out of line, but I will look more closely when I get back home from our trip down to Dorset. I did speak to UK Leisure Parts today and they said they would send me replacement end pieces, once I check which one of two variants it is, but I have a feeling you could be right about the alignment issue. Thanks, Bob

Thanks Ian, that's good advice. I have checked today and it doesn't appear to be out of line, but I will look more closely when I get back home from our trip down to Dorset. I did speak to UK Leisure Parts today and they said they would send me replacement end pieces, once I check which one of two variants it is, but I have a feeling you could be right about the alignment issue. Thanks, Bob
Try swapping struts over to see if problem follows the strut

Back