Reimo Classic vs. SCA 194 pop top roof

Eskie

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting, so I hope I've got this in the right place!
I'm looking to get a pop top roof fitted and have been quote by two companies for a Reimo classic and a SCA 194. There is little difference in the price and I'd trust both companies to do a great job. But the question is, which roof to go for. I was hoping members could share their experiences or advice with either roof to help me decide!
Thanks for your help

Got the 194 SCA. No issues what so ever. Feels really study putting up and down, locks down really securely. Not sure if this is true but was told it's the only one with a slatted bed up top which is very comfortable. Can't fault it!

Got the 194 SCA. No issues what so ever. Feels really study putting up and down, locks down really securely. Not sure if this is true but was told it's the only one with a slatted bed up top which is very comfortable. Can't fault it!
Thanks @Walski I've heard that with the Reimo roof, it's easy to trap the canvas when you pull the roof down. Do you have to be really careful with the SCA when taking it down, pulling all the canvas in as you inch the roof down like the Reimo?

Thanks @Walski I've heard that with the Reimo roof, it's easy to trap the canvas when you pull the roof down. Do you have to be really careful with the SCA when taking it down, pulling all the canvas in as you inch the roof down like the Reimo?
SCA is easy to take down - just give each side a gentle tug as you start to pull the roof down and they fold in nice and neat.

Agree with @Davenjo, on the SCA, about half way down there seems to be a 'strap' that folds inwards as you pull down. I've pulled it down too fast before and the strap didn't fold in but I've done it slower ever since with no issues.

Thank you both for your help. I'm almost convinced on the SCA now, I might just pop back for one more look at it before getting it booked in. The fact I can get the SCA for the end of May rather than 6 months wait for the other company to do the Reimo also helps this decision - I'm impatient to get it fitted, so the fact you're both happy with the SCA is brilliant!

Im in the same boat choosing between the SCA 194 or reimo easyfit with solid front cover, I have been studying this topic for a while now abd this is what I have found personally and through others...

Both companies are continually changing/adding things like full opening canvas, canvas material etc. In my opinion the VW california manual roof is better than both as its made for the T6 and to a fully integrated standard, but this also makes them less suitable for conversion-especially RHD as the roof, apature and tambour slider are curved so no good for roof pods -yes they can be retrofitted. Reimo do also make a latch version and delux slatted bed. I never noticed the differences in the front spoiler seal but will look next time.

Ascetically i find the reimo better as the struts are hidden above the bed, all but one SCA roof has been carpeted over whereas reimos have all been grey fiberglass like the the california. The SCA bed flexes and bends allot when you pull it down but is ment to have a higher load limit (200kg opposed to 150kg), it feels more flimsy, but does have the leather opening cover. The reimo and SCA have solid board slide cover options but the SCA is again visible underneath with aluminum channels, the reimo is hidden inside the bed like the california. SCA have more rounded canvas corners and look a bit tighter, and have additional patches at the bottom of the corner joints. Personally I find both look nearly similar outside, with the SCA probably made better but not finished as well inside. The bent alu bed frame, handles, galvansed hex bolts etc on the SCA make it look cheaper, with the alu trims top and bottom unfinished, though easier to replace the canvas.

Every time I look at the SCA countersink screws on the bottom they are p*ssed or not flush, little things like that make it look worse, the reimo has bright grey plastic caps and stainless dome nuts up top with better looking handles, and you can feel the difference in the roof lining, the SCA has ridges inside so probably not as well insulated.

The rear roof pod in my van is important storage space to me so the mid hinged reimo roof would give a better finish, in summery I think the SCA is a better roof and the reimo is a better and more pleasing bed internally. Its a shame you cant combine the two. I think converters are moving toward SCA as the one piece frame means the van's stronger thus approved by VW and easier to fit. The SCA rear mechanism looks a little better but think the auto locking latches are more asking for trouble which can damage the canvas and the cable needs maintenance. Reimo are a camping company making a GRP roof, SCA are part of a GRP co so it makes sense reimo thought more about the bed and internal finishing and SCA have a better, higher capacity roof.

Im sorry to go on but does anyone have anything to add before I order the van?

SCA is easy to take down - just give each side a gentle tug as you start to pull the roof down and they fold in nice and neat.
Hi, I have a problem with a newly fitted sca194.
The problem is that when you pull it down it takes one to hang on one side and I mean hang to allow the latch to click under the bar. It is then a big effort to turn the clasp to lock it. The other side isn't as bad but still hard. The clasp is as high as it can go and the stopper is sldo as high as it will go. Could it be that the bar is fitted to low or dose it arrive pre drilled. Thanks

Hi, I have a problem with a newly fitted sca194.
The problem is that when you pull it down it takes one to hang on one side and I mean hang to allow the latch to click under the bar. It is then a big effort to turn the clasp to lock it. The other side isn't as bad but still hard. The clasp is as high as it can go and the stopper is sldo as high as it will go. Could it be that the bar is fitted to low or dose it arrive pre drilled. Thanks
Ours both drop straight on with just the weight of the roof and simple to twist the lock (I usually put my fingers behind the clasp when tightening/loosening just to make sure I'm not trapping any fabric). Sounds like your bar is fitted too low or the roof is not fitted square??

Ours both drop straight on with just the weight of the roof and simple to twist the lock (I usually put my fingers behind the clasp when tightening/loosening just to make sure I'm not trapping any fabric). Sounds like your bar is fitted too low or the roof is not fitted square??
Hi, thanks for that do you know if the bars are pre drilled holes or drilled at the factory?. It sounds like a big problem to resolve.

Hi, thanks for that do you know if the bars are pre drilled holes or drilled at the factory?. It sounds like a big problem to resolve.
I would of thought they are pre drilled and the issue is with the position they are fixed relative to the clasps?? I can have a look in daylight tomorrow and take a couple of photos for you to compare to if it helps??

Pictures as promised. Just showing the drivers side but both sides look and perform the same.

The holes in my brackets are U-shaped which would give a bit of tolerance when fitting and were almost definitely supplied like that. As you can see, my bolts are at the bottom of the channel which would give a bit of adjustment if the roof needed to come down a bit tighter - hopefully yours are higher up in the channel which would give you a bit of adjustment the other way??

Latches closed and tightened down, safety strap in position:-
IMG_3097.jpg

Latches closed and tightened down, safety strap unclipped:-
IMG_3098.jpg
Latches loosened by half a turn of tightening clasp - as you can see, there is lots of room below the bar - NB. The roof has not been up for a few days so this is maybe a few millimetres lower than it would be if I'd only just lowered the roof but, as per my posts last night, the weight of the roof is sufficient to get the clasp clear of the bar, ready to be tensioned onto it, without applying any additional pressure:-
IMG_3099.jpg

Hope these are useful.

I would of thought they are pre drilled and the issue is with the position they are fixed relative to the clasps?? I can have a look in daylight tomorrow and take a couple of photos for you to compare to if it helps??
That would be good as my catch is on a slight slant and isn't central to the clasp
Pictures as promised. Just showing the drivers side but both sides look and perform the same.

The holes in my brackets are U-shaped which would give a bit of tolerance when fitting and were almost definitely supplied like that. As you can see, my bolts are at the bottom of the channel which would give a bit of adjustment if the roof needed to come down a bit tighter - hopefully yours are higher up in the channel which would give you a bit of adjustment the other way??

Latches closed and tightened down, safety strap in position:-
View attachment 11234

Latches closed and tightened down, safety strap unclipped:-
View attachment 11235
Latches loosened by half a turn of tightening clasp - as you can see, there is lots of room below the bar - NB. The roof has not been up for a few days so this is maybe a few millimetres lower than it would be if I'd only just lowered the roof but, as per my posts last night, the weight of the roof is sufficient to get the clasp clear of the bar, ready to be tensioned onto it, without applying any additional pressure:-
View attachment 11236

Hope these are useful.
Thanks for that it's a big help. I have no adjustment left so I think the roof will need realining. Thanks again

Does the weight of the roof have an impact on raising and lowering? Affect MPG?
SCA = 100Kg
Reimo = 70Kg

SCA = 100Kg
Reimo = 70Kg
I don't expect it will make any difference to raising/lowering as gas struts will be sized accordingly. Carrying an extra 30kg will have an impact, albeit negligible, on MPG and eat into your payload if that is a concern.

There s
SCA = 100Kg
Reimo = 70Kg
hould be a balance on the struts for raising and lowering so you shouldn't notice any difference between weights. There will be a slight difference in MPG but only tiny, I think wind resistance would have more of an impact but again not worth worrying about

Having a SCA fitted by Slidepods.....happy to go with Jonny's advice. The top manufacturers cannot afford to build a poor roof, otherwise you pays your money etc, just ensure good guarantees, ideally insurance backed if not a major manufacturer.
Always wondered how the ultra low profile roofs are insulated to a good standard.

Having a SCA fitted by Slidepods.....happy to go with Jonny's advice. The top manufacturers cannot afford to build a poor roof, otherwise you pays your money etc, just ensure good guarantees, ideally insurance backed if not a major manufacturer.
Always wondered how the ultra low profile roofs are insulated to a good standard.
Hi Vinci, my wife had theslidepod fitted by Jonny, great quality. Thinking of having sdepod fit the sca194 . How did you find yours? is it still wearing well?

Back