Reimo 3000 seat seat belts sticking on hills ?!!

Helena

Hi all. We have variotech 3000 sliding seats ( bonded) but seatbelts often get jammed when you’re on a hill. Apparently this is a general fault with this seat ? Anyone had any experience with this problem ? Thanks

We have a variotech 3000 and never noticed anything like this. Do you mean they tightened when pressed back in the seat and then don’t release?

I’ve never heard of that and never noticed it with ours so I’m not sure how general a fault it is. I would imagine that any kind of seatbelt issue gets fixed pretty quickly, I wouldn’t think it would get TUV approval with seatbelt issues.

did you solve this? I've been struggling with mine every now and again for the last year or so. Seems all 3 dont release every now and again. let a little retract back in, and you just have less to play with!

did you solve this? I've been struggling with mine every now and again for the last year or so. Seems all 3 dont release every now and again. let a little retract back in, and you just have less to play with!
Hi no didn’t have any further luck. We mostly notice it when we’re parked on a hill and try to put the belts on. We have to move the van to somewhere more level then it’s ok again!!

Right, I got fed up and dismantled the seat. There is a bearing which locks the belt if it's not completely level, see photos. It seems to be more sensitive to forward and backward than side to side but I think the easiest way to release the belt would be to tilt the seat forward slightly. The belt mechanism needs to be perfectly vertical to release properly, and the seat sits leaning naturally slightly backwards. I'm in two minds. It is removable, and doesn't affect the belt locking in an accident. I can only assume its to ensure the seat its properly in place. Modifying seat belts has alarm bells all over it though! 20220614_123601.jpg

Has anyone removed this bearing? or have any information on the consequences?
1. Yes
2. It stops the seatbelt locking.

I took one apart as a kid. As you point out, it is very sensitive front to back. When the van stops urgently, the ball caries on forwards and locks the belt, stopping you from going through the screen.

More recently I dismantled a sticky belt, and found some oxidation on the ratchet part of the mechanism. This lifts when the belt is rapidly moving, again causing it to lock. Cleaned and very lightly lubed made a slight improvement, but I replaced it anyway.

There seems to be a second mechanism for the locking part of the belt, even with the ball disabled, a sharp pull on the belt locks it up. the ball bearing only seems to affect the seat level function, i wonder if its to do with making sure the seat is fully latched in position?

No, it’s to stop your head going through the windscreen. It lifts that black pawl to engage the ratchet on the drum, so any movement on the belt pulls the drum up into the locked position. Pulling out bits of your seatbelt mechanism really isn’t a good idea.

Reactions: DXX
I completely understand the basic function of the seatbelt in an accident, that isn't the point here. I also completely understand that modifying a safety device isn't a good idea. The discussion is about whether the ball bearing (which is not activated by pulling the seat belt at all, that's a different mechanism) is for simply ensuring the seat is latched in position or is for crash protection. As the latch is very flimsy and plastic, I'd be surprised if it was for crash protection.

It’s for crash protection. Whilst it looks flimsy, it is enough to snag the drum, causing it to lift up and engage all the metal ratchet teeth (the other mechanism you mention) that lock it.

Right, I got fed up and dismantled the seat. There is a bearing which locks the belt if it's not completely level, see photos. It seems to be more sensitive to forward and backward than side to side but I think the easiest way to release the belt would be to tilt the seat forward slightly. The belt mechanism needs to be perfectly vertical to release properly, and the seat sits leaning naturally slightly backwards. I'm in two minds. It is removable, and doesn't affect the belt locking in an accident. I can only assume its to ensure the seat its properly in place. Modifying seat belts has alarm bells all over it though! View attachment 160714
I am on my second Reimo seatbelt because they keep locking up irretrievably. I made the mistake first time round of taking off the other side of the mechanism which is the bloody great spring!!! If you do this count yours fingers then throw the mess in the bin and order a new belt from CMC!
Another belt has stuck today so will try and get that fixed when the rain stops

Right, I got fed up and dismantled the seat. There is a bearing which locks the belt if it's not completely level, see photos. It seems to be more sensitive to forward and backward than side to side but I think the easiest way to release the belt would be to tilt the seat forward slightly. The belt mechanism needs to be perfectly vertical to release properly, and the seat sits leaning naturally slightly backwards. I'm in two minds. It is removable, and doesn't affect the belt locking in an accident. I can only assume its to ensure the seat its properly in place. Modifying seat belts has alarm bells all over it though! View attachment 160714
Is there any rotational adjustment?

On another car I had to adjust (rotate the mechanism slightly) them so that they sat perfectly vertical whilst in the car or I had the same issue locking up for no reason.

Back