Reimo Variotech 3000 bed rattling

That's really good to know, thank you. I'll see what the installer says about the locking lever for the seat-back.

The adjustment of the brakes is explained perfectly. To check which brake is not operating correctly, apply the offside one then lift the bar and try to push the seat backwards. If it moves the offside brake needs adjusting. Then do the same with the nearside. I haven't tried the locktite but it could be a good move as I regularly have to adjust my offside brake. Also like the foam pads put in by your installer! @nrgnet, please let me know what your installer does to resolve the problem. For the money that this system costs its very poor and I would never have another one.

Hi All,

I am glad I came across this post and the great advice. I am having the same issues with my Reimo Variotech. I get squeaks, rattles and bangs from it and not enjoying the van because of this. In the last 9 months when the seat is upright I get a little squeak (sounds like a mouse) as it bounces along a smooth road, only happens when driving and struggle to replicate when stationary.

It's been into the converters and they added more pads and grease but within a week or so back rattling. They tell me its common with this seat and VW Californias rattle as well.

I also have play in the back of the seat and can move the seat when either of the brakes are off so will look into your instructions to tighten it up.

If you have any other things to try please do let me know. I paid a lot for the Van and close to swapping the bed with something else its that annoying :(

I feel your pain. I spoke to the convertors who installed my seat and am waiting for a video from them to show how to check for correct adjustment of the brake clamps. DIY adjustments and foam pad inserts shouldn't be necessary on these newly installed - and very expensive - German engineered seats. I'll keep the post updated and hopefully share the video if that helps to fix the problem.

I feel your pain. I spoke to the convertors who installed my seat and am waiting for a video from them to show how to check for correct adjustment of the brake clamps. DIY adjustments and foam pad inserts shouldn't be necessary on these newly installed - and very expensive - German engineered seats. I'll keep the post updated and hopefully share the video if that helps to fix the problem.
Thanks that will be really helpful

Fellow Reimo Variotech sufferers, the last time I adjusted the brakes on the bed seems to have done the trick for the squeaking noise. I tested for movement last weekend and they still held. When I spoke to CMC (not our installers but have given us great advice) at Busfest they recommended performing the adjustment when the seat is at the farthest back position. The main issue we have now is the rear platform rattles, if we place the awning on this it goes away. However I am under no illusion that the current silence may be short lived and the rear orchestra will almost certainly return. Just keep the faith!!!

Sorry, missed this thread when it was alive last time round. I have also had a lot of rattles with our 3000. All of the above points but also have found that the steel tube embedded in the seat squab assembly rattles! Very annoying. It holds the sliding bolts that clip the seat squab in place. The bolts rattle in the tube as there is too much play between tube and bolts and the spring behind the bolts helps it ring like a bell.
If you take the squab out and remove the cover it is possible to remove the pin bolts and in my case I applied some furry loom tape which cured the rattle.
All the other bits that everyone else found makes noise as well so it’s a bit of a process.

Yet another source of noise! How many more can there be?! But brilliant you've uncovered this one. Like everyone else, every time I nail the latest squeak or rattle, yet another one seems to appear. Is there any chance you could post a photo to show what you did? Many thanks.

Have Reimo changed the design on these things? I have a 2016 Variotech and it's absolutely rock solid, never heard anything out of it.

Yet another source of noise! How many more can there be?! But brilliant you've uncovered this one. Like everyone else, every time I nail the latest squeak or rattle, yet another one seems to appear. Is there any chance you could post a photo to show what you did? Many thanks.
Sorry, it would have to be stripped down again to get a photo. You can test it by bashing the top front of the seat squab. You might hear the bar rattle. Can be fixed by having someone sitting on it all the time :)

I found the worst squeak source on mine yesterday - a grommet that the locking rod passes through had come out of its hole, leading to metal on metal. I poked it back into place and it is now quieter (but still a few more to track down). I will put some silicone spray on here so the rod doesn’t pull the grommet out every time.

IMG_2870.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Cheers, I'll have a look.
I went all over mine the other day, nipped up all the nuts and bolts and found all the screws holding the fold down section to the frame at the rear were all loose, re-tightened them and it's still squeaking.
I don't know if anyone else finds the same but it seems worse when it's slid right back, but quieter when it's just behind the front seats.
It's starting to ruin the driving experience now.

Loctite 242, spring washers, Nyloc nuts………
There’s enough content on rattles and squeaks for a separate forum.

Cheers, I'll have a look.
I went all over mine the other day, nipped up all the nuts and bolts and found all the screws holding the fold down section to the frame at the rear were all loose, re-tightened them and it's still squeaking.
I don't know if anyone else finds the same but it seems worse when it's slid right back, but quieter when it's just behind the front seats.
It's starting to ruin the driving experience now.
I'll second that. It was one of the convertors at the last NEC show who pointed me in that direction. The theory is that there's less bounce on the seat if it's position roughly where the original Kombi (in my case) seats would be - definitely helps but oh, still so many rattles, squeaks, creaks and all sorts!!

Think I have the same problem as described, as shown below…

This was the area my rattle was coming from:
IMG_7900.jpeg

Initially I thought it was the pivot bolt for the off-set swivel mechanism (red ring), but actually it’s probably the spring-loaded sliding bolts / lugs that hold the seat squab in position (green arrow):IMG_7901.jpeg

Push them and the seat squab lifts off the furry off-set pivot arm.

Mine rattled when I wiggled it once loose:
IMG_7907.jpeg

Take the material off the foam of the seat squab and you can release the sliding lug and tape / pad it:
IMG_7904.jpeg
IMG_7906.jpeg

Think I have the same problem as described, as shown below…

This was the area my rattle was coming from:
View attachment 218769

Initially I thought it was the pivot bolt for the off-set swivel mechanism (red ring), but actually it’s probably the spring-loaded sliding bolts / lugs that hold the seat squab in position (green arrow):View attachment 218772

Push them and the seat squab lifts off the furry off-set pivot arm.

Mine rattled when I wiggled it once loose:
View attachment 218773

Take the material off the foam of the seat squab and you can release the sliding lug and tape / pad it:
View attachment 218774
View attachment 218775
Good photos, this is the problem I described in post #27 but the explanation is much better with your photos.

I’ve just had a read of this post as I’m also a victim of this. All my nuts and bolts seem to be tight, the brakes work OK but the rear upright of the sit moves about 10mm back and forward if a pull the head bolsters back and forward. I get from this thread that the Seat should be solid. I’m assuming this has to be the source of my rattle. Also the platform at the back rattles like a b#####d too. I think that’s probably a foam job to stop that

any thoughts on the 10mm movement would be appreciated

I’ve just had a read of this post as I’m also a victim of this. All my nuts and bolts seem to be tight, the brakes work OK but the rear upright of the sit moves about 10mm back and forward if a pull the head bolsters back and forward. I get from this thread that the Seat should be solid. I’m assuming this has to be the source of my rattle. Also the platform at the back rattles like a b#####d too. I think that’s probably a foam job to stop that

any thoughts on the 10mm movement would be appreciated
The lever on the passenger side of the bed should be fully down & locked when the seat back is upright. Check ( and double check) that it has gone fully down into the locked position.

The lever on the passenger side of the bed should be fully down & locked when the seat back is upright. Check ( and double check) that it has gone fully down into the locked position.
Yes, what @Salty Spuds said. The spring that holds the lever down isn't very effective. I actually put a wrap of PVC tape on the finger that locks the movement as it took up a small amount of slack in the mechanism but I always push the lever down while wiggling the backrest to snug it down firmly.
My 'parcel shelf' hasn't been a problem since I mounted a few kilos to it in the form of the plywood table top.

Likewise, ours is rock solid as long as you do the backrest jiggle. OP, have you applied the brakes/locks to the runners?
Well after 7 years, our Variotech developed a horrible squeak when on bumpy roads (I.E All UK roads currently:rolleyes:), so with Mrs Spuds driving up & down our lane, I took to the back cargo space & did some investigating. I eventually traced the problem to the black wood/plastic trim that covers the metal frame on the nearside. The bit that you can see if you slide the seat forward into the side door aperture. The cover trim had warped & was rubbing on the metal frame. A dribble of WD 40 & no more squeak.

Back