Regrets, I don't want a few

Vinci

Residential Surveyor
T6 Guru
Just a general question really, whether having d-I-y ed, or having had one (or more) built, what would you have done/designed/altered having lived with your new van for a while?
Contemplating my forthcoming van and conversion is really starting to concern me, and I accept ongoing upgrading is part of the fun, albeit likely to be costly!!

Just a general question really, whether having d-I-y ed, or having had one (or more) built, what would you have done/designed/altered having lived with your new van for a while?
Contemplating my forthcoming van and conversion is really starting to concern me, and I accept ongoing upgrading is part of the fun, albeit likely to be costly!!
Think long and hard go to the shows look at other people's conversion ideas, will save you in the end I've learnt the hard way,plenty of nice vans on here to get some idea of what you can achieve.
Thought I was happy with my kombi and 2+1 rear seats so leathered full trim , then I went to the show and seen a seating plan I really needed .
so£1200 pound mistake:( hopfully will get a descent price for them.now I'm going down caravelle rails and caravelle triple bed seat,

IMO, this is why lists are great(long but great) your able to keep reviewing the list and adjust before setting it in motion..
Alot of ppl jump in with two feet, but then have to go back to redo something that may have been avoided with alittle more planning and consideration.
I have 6 current lists, which has changed daily depending on my day-dreams and vision for what I want..

Often find myself, jotting down an idea to work on later.. blooming nightmere..

Nothing, no mod! Is worth getting into debt for! Regardless of how good it looks.

I'm new to this so don't really have a lot of experience to call on. We tried a van out for ourselves and we visited shows and converters before deciding.
Everything is a compromise so my priority was to focus on what we would use the most and get that right, then fit the other priorities around it as best as possible.

It's easy to look at something and think it would be "lovely to have" but there will be trade-offs. With limited resources such as money, space etc everytime you say "yes" to one thing, you are also saying "no" to something else, so consider all the trade-offs.

I doubt we've got it 100% right, I just hope it's not too far wrong and we can work with the "imperfections" until we can put them right.

Easy for us because VW makes the California which suits us perfectly and we have zero interest in the daft "scene" look which appears to be hell bent on making a very practical vehicle into an angry looking chav box.

The onl
Easy for us because VW makes the California which suits us perfectly and we have zero interest in the daft "scene" look which appears to be hell bent on making a very practical vehicle into an angry looking chav box.
Only thing that could make the california
Perfect would make it a 5 seater as you said in a previous post, think caravelle with a poptop would be my option next

The onl

Only thing that could make the california
Perfect would make it a 5 seater as you said in a previous post, think caravelle with a poptop would be my option next
Yes that is a bit of a PITA; there's only four of us but it's a cringe when we can't fit even one extra person in - yet we can in our little hatchback!!

You can get an extra seat but it's completely in the way. The Beach has five seats.

Quite out of character and unlike you to be so firmly on the fence there Polzeylad ;)

Perhaps we have a slightly different opinion on what constitutes practical, but I plan to keep mine well under 2m in height which for me keeps it more practical for daily use needing to access car parks.

Quite out of character and unlike you to be so firmly on the fence there Polzeylad ;)

Perhaps we have a slightly different opinion on what constitutes practical, but I plan to keep mine well under 2m in height which for me keeps it more practical for daily use needing to access car parks.

Tee hee. Gets me in trouble sometimes...
Ours is 1.99m - I've just got under 2m barriers before but it's tight.
The T6 awning is slightly higher than the T5.1 one so of you needed to regularly get under height barriers, take the awning off.

Tee hee. Gets me in trouble sometimes...
Ours is 1.99m - I've just got under 2m barriers before but it's tight.

That's lower than I expected.
I thought that the roof would add at least 5cm, and a standard T6 van is already 1.99.
Does the Cali have the lowered suspension that's fitted to a caravelle?

That's lower than I expected.
I thought that the roof would add at least 5cm, and a standard T6 van is already 1.99.
Does the Cali have the lowered suspension that's fitted to a caravelle?
Not that I know of but the roof is very low profile.
Dimensions are on VWs website. If anything I'd say a Cali 4motion sits higher than most T6 vans.

We contemplated the California, as @Polzeylad says perfect for some. The things that made us go down the DIY route were, LWB, Roof, Fridge, Oven/Grill and Storage. Follow the top advice and visit shows, work out what best for you.

I found it useful to mock up the cabinets out of chipboard before finalising the layout.

Kev

My biggest regret was not ordering both of the fuel burning heaters.

I find my vans engine is quite thermally inefficient and with the ambiance temperature hovering around 4C and sticking to country lanes with the speed not going above 40/50 MPH. Not only does the engine not get warm enough but the HVAC takes a while to come through with the oil staying fairly cold. The auxiliary water heater would stop this completely.

Im looking to get a parking heater fitted under the drivers seat to heat the cabin overnight, its doable but it would have been easier to have the pair from factory.

I'm new to this so don't really have a lot of experience to call on. We tried a van out for ourselves and we visited shows and converters before deciding.
Everything is a compromise so my priority was to focus on what we would use the most and get that right, then fit the other priorities around it as best as possible.

It's easy to look at something and think it would be "lovely to have" but there will be trade-offs. With limited resources such as money, space etc everytime you say "yes" to one thing, you are also saying "no" to something else, so consider all the trade-offs.

I doubt we've got it 100% right, I just hope it's not too far wrong and we can work with the "imperfections" until we can put them right.
@Chopman Seems to me your approach is 100% right as you customise to meet your particular needs and progress toward your goal at your own pace as funds allow and suitable items are selected. Enjoy the process and don't be deterred by anyone. :):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

@Chopman Seems to me your approach is 100% right as you customise to meet your particular needs and progress toward your goal at your own pace as funds allow and suitable items are selected. Enjoy the process and don't be deterred by anyone. :):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I'm only doing a few of the small items myself, there will be a major piece of work done by the professionals in April...

@Chopman Good luck with your project and please keep us updated and post photos so we can see your conversion and ideas. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Please don't forget your twist on ways to do things or little improvements that make life easier or more comfortable using the van.

I think the first thing is ask yourself what you want it for, is it a work van or something you'll use for yourself.
Making a list is something I never did but is a good idea. When I ordered my Cali I felt a pit pushed by the salesman at the time in that I got it at the price it was then and I felt the resale would be better.
What I really wanted was a Cali Beach without the lift up roof but VW did not make them and I did not want A velle with the extra seats. To me a Kombi with the Velle seats on the sliding rails would have suited me down to the ground along with some insulation and carpeting. I used to have a T5 Cali and we found that a bit cluttered for the two of us as we only ever used the hob found the sink and water containers a waste of time along with the so called wardrobe. The gas locker is a real faff and the only other thing we found of use was the fridge so that is why I opted for a Cali beach. That was how we felt but others like @Polzeylad & @Loz are quite happy with the Ocean.
It is what suits you so sit down make a list then use the configurator and build up a few to see the cost. I am happy with the Cali beach but do still wonder if I did the right thing

Yes that is a bit of a PITA; there's only four of us but it's a cringe when we can't fit even one extra person in - yet we can in our little hatchback!!

You can get an extra seat but it's completely in the way. The Beach has five seats.
Didn't realise the beach was 5 seater :)

Back