Red wire under passenger seat - fuse?

I'll need to have my 2nd Battery under the drivers seat - unless I swap the sub and amp around (as the sub is currently under the passenger side). Is it possible to re-use this factory wiring on the drivers side, or should I ignore the existing 2nd battery wiring.

Also as I'm just looking to power: a parking heater, USBs, roof Leds and a cigarette lighter socket is there a small (physical and Amp/h) zero maintenance unvented battery that folks use?

Hello fellow Sixers

I've been researching installing a second battery under the front passenger seat. Yesterday, I took the seat out and found this:
20190407_105113.jpg

A collection of seven +12VDC wires just strung up going nowhere. They are bound in 2 bundles, 4 and 3:
20190407_105144.jpg

They appear to be permanently live. I know I have seen this in a thread somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it now.
  • Does anyone know where they terminate?
  • What sort of current can they support?
  • Is this the plumbing used for the factory leisure battery?
Any help in answering these questions is greatly appreciated!

I have similar, but mine are not all the same thickness.

88_under_near_seat.png

The bundle of 3 end like this:
Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 21.17.23.png

Looks like the redundant factory underseat feed (as you don’t have the additional fusebox) then it’s been joined onto for your towbar (the three fuses in the holder)
Have you got one cable much fatter than the rest, I did and it’s a 50a feed direct from the e box under the battery, I used it to feed my dc dc charger and fed the towbar wiring off my leisure batt (I don’t tow only use a bike rack so modified the wiring)

Looks like the redundant factory underseat feed (as you don’t have the additional fusebox) then it’s been joined onto for your towbar (the three fuses in the holder)
Have you got one cable much fatter than the rest, I did and it’s a 50a feed direct from the e box under the battery, I used it to feed my dc dc charger and fed the towbar wiring off my leisure batt (I don’t tow only use a bike rack so modified the wiring)
Yes, I do have one much fatter. I didn't use it for the dc-dc feed for 2 reasons. If the fuse blows its in an awkward place to get to and I put mine under the drivers seat.

Also @Pauly I'm having trouble with my Kombi step light, when I plug it in to the OEM courtesy lights using the loom it stops the courtesy lights timing out after about 15 mins. They don't time out but work properly with unlocking locking ignition etc.
Any suggestions please? I've sent a pm as well.

Thanks

I'm just wondering if 1 wire in the bundle is supplying and the others feed somewhere else or are they all feeds from the main fuse box.

Don't unnecessarily want to cut the link.

Hi I hope some one can help. I was fitting a b2b charger under the passenger seat and was going to use the red wire that’s about 6mm that seems to connect to a couple of smaller red wires. And wile trying to work it out it touched earth and I heard a fuse or something similar, I have tried to find which one it could be but can’t. Everything seems to work on the van but now there isn’t any power from that red wire. Any help please

Have you looked in the 'E' box under the battery?

Take battery out, remove steel tray that it sits on, remove big plastic cover first having removed the plastic 'key' that holds the little fuse holder by the slam panel in place and allows it to drop clear of the big cover as you lift that off. T20 (I think) Torx driver required to remove the screws that hold the plastic cover.
That's where fuse block SA is located.
If you need a large cross section cable for your leisure battery supply it should be connected at SA3 position, a large bolted down fuse, 50Amp or 100Amp depending on use.

Wiring diagrams and workshop manual here - https://cardiagn.com/volkswagen/volkswagen-transporter/

Thank you. All fixed now, I had a bit of a panic in case something wouldn’t work.

OK on my 2016 T6 I have a 6mm cable that comes out under the drivers seat and has a couple of thinner wires off it going to fuses under drivers seat (all those fuses ok) I am guessing from posts that this is the wire for an auxiliary battery.
its a perm live when engine running so i have used this to power the split charge relay, but i think i have blown the fuse in it as in is no longer live. (yes yes i KNOW i should have disconnected van battery....)
I have trawled threads and wiring diagrams but cant figure it - thought it would be easier to ask rather than pull every fuse in van....

Update - on a bit more forum searching and on one of Dellmasive how its done threads it would appear that this fuse is #3 located under the battery - can someone smarter than me 2nd that :)

Last edited:
Thanks, i did start to take that pannel off before thinking 'there is no way its in here'..... and put it back

Thanks, i did start to take that panel off before thinking 'there is no way its in here'..... and put it back
Ah, it's hidden from 'playing fingers', as are all the other things in there.

And not least a pain in the a** to get to.

Well i found a blown fuse but it was a 50amp in slot 8!
havent put new one in yet but i am guessing this is the one.

As Epic-Rob just described above...I also backtracked the thickest red wire (approx. 10mm2) below the passenger seat, to cable number 8 in the E-box and it already had a fuse installed but of 100A instead of the 50A described above. I'm a bit confused why VW placed such a high value fuse for such a thin (10mm2) and long cable (from E-box to driver seat)..??

Back