Red wire under passenger seat - fuse?

Kramsdog

VIP Member
T6 Pro
982F3113-0112-4C8F-86D8-3F65C9F2D4D3.jpeg I’m about to start on the transition from van to camper.
I had a quick look at the current state of electrics and found the under the passenger the following cables, see picture, any advice?
Could these be used or is it not worth attempting as it will upset rest of the vans electrics?

Planned install is Leisure battery, fridge, led lights, usb charger points, diesel heater, maybe a diesel cooker.

Other electrics will be solar panel plus 240v system.

Many thanks in advance

View attachment 34782 I’m about to start on the transition from van to camper.
I had a quick look at the current state of electrics and found the under the passenger the following cables, see picture, any advice?
Could these be used or is it not worth attempting as it will upset rest of the vans electrics?

Planned install is Leisure battery, fridge, led lights, usb charger points, diesel heater, maybe a diesel cooker.

Other electrics will be solar panel plus 240v system.

Many thanks in advance

These *should* be the factory installed power leads for an auxiliary battery - the fat one being the main feed, with the smaller gauge feeding the dash cigarette-lighter socket.

They’re fused via the E-box. So that’ll save you the job of running a cable back from the vehicle battery.

I had the same cables under mine and used the fat one to feed my Dc Dc battery charger
If the no factory second battery it should be protected by a 50A fuse in the engine bay but remember you may still need an ignition live to connect to a charger which will prob need to come from the dash

Hi, I have the same set up under my front single passenger seat but would like to fit my xtreme Leisure battery, Ctek charger, 240 rcd and 240 bat charger underneath the seat. Any ideas on the best thing for me to do with those cables and fuses to make room? Thanks

Hi, I have the same set up under my front single passenger seat but would like to fit my xtreme Leisure battery, Ctek charger, 240 rcd and 240 bat charger underneath the seat. Any ideas on the best thing for me to do with those cables and fuses to make room? Thanks
Did you find a solution to this question?

My set up under the seat looks similar:
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 07.44.02.png

I would like to find a feed to wire up a 12V socket, USB socket and battery voltmeter. Could anyone point me to where I can find this info please?

I want to connect them to this panel:

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 07.44.28.png

@Ads_Essex which is the E box please?

View attachment 37219

I would like to find a feed to wire up a 12V socket, USB socket and battery voltmeter. Could anyone point me to where I can find this info please?

View attachment 37220

You will need to pich up from the existing fuse box under the seat. Either by inserting a pin into a vacant fuse slot or by splicing an inline fuse into the cable that supplies the fuse box. I can supply the correct cable and insert for the fuse box if you want to make a tidy job of it. Let me know how long you need. Cost will be about £17.50 posted.

Hi gents, I am also going to carry on camping, I have the wires see pics but unsure on my options, any advise from the masters would be much appreciated.

A496D392-258A-48E0-8BA5-FCA1189C8B1C.jpeg

91720C8F-4F22-4E3C-BEBC-424C15D2F717.jpeg

View attachment 37219

View attachment 37220

From what I understand..
the E-box is (somewhere) in the engine bay along with your other major fuses (The handbook should cover it). That chunky red wire should run from your engine battery, through a fuse in the E-box, to that outlet under your passenger seat.
So you just need to connect it to the positive terminal for the 12v USB socket thing you have, using the earth stud under the floor mat (under the seat) as the 12v USB negative.

The 230v sockets on that piece of kit will need powering from either an inverter or from an electric hook-up point (via a consumer unit).

Hi gents, I am also going to carry on camping, I have the wires see pics but unsure on my options, any advise from the masters would be much appreciated.

View attachment 37232

View attachment 37233

@Buzznitro the same goes for your setup - those chunky red cables look like the factory-installed auxiliary battery feed from the E-box, the one with the Velcro sleeve being spare and ready to use (the other strand is probably your cigarette-lighter power).

I connected that chunky red cable to my DC-DC charger which in turn charges my aux battery, that then providing a 12v feed to a 12-way fusebox; from that fusebox I run my additional lighting / heater / water pump / etc.

If you haven’t, then make sure you check out the TravelVolts site for kit and tips.
@Damo666 I imagine Martyn was directing you to this image:

330F4CF1-CD98-47D1-9499-A732DFB87BDA.jpeg

This link and this link are two self-build websites that break down electrical installs in to idiot-proof guides.

The E box is directly underneath the main vehicle battery, if access is required you need to remove the battery completely then there is a metal plate that it sits on that has quite a few screws holding it down (10-12?) once these are removed the plate lifts off and reveals the ebox, this is where you find all the mega fuses that distribute power to other fuse boxes/starter etc and generally 50/100 amp upwards

Thanks again for the replies.

I will have a look at those links @Ads_Essex .

I have installed the under bonnet hook up and consumer unit and connected to the mains sockets on that panel.
I plan to wire a switch for the voltmeter (the 2 way switch next to it for when I get round to adding a leisure battery). I think I will put a junction box on the end of that thick red wire to split the supply to the voltmeter and the 12V / USB sockets. I will be able to take a feed from there for the LED lights when I get round to putting some in the van.
Testing the mains hookup and sockets:
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 07.01.41.png
I saw that pic on @travelvolts website. It made me wonder where the best place for the consumer unit is.

I normally fit the consumer unit behind the battery in the drivers seat so that it looks out of the back of the seat base. Turn it on it's side for easy fitting.

I normally fit the consumer unit behind the battery in the drivers seat so that it looks out of the back of the seat base. Turn it on it's side for easy fitting.
Thanks for the info. If you have a pic handy that would be great.

Back