Reclassification Speed Limit Petition

Rev it up to 75mph then, matie! Get some action back into those loins. SWMBO will thank you for your efforts!
Hang on....! I forgot, you’re on air! Won’t make a blind bit of difference....poor SWMBO!

Last edited:
Not true! It depends on what your V5C says! I can do 70mph on a dual-carriage A-road with central reservation/barrier whereas you are limited to 60mph! I’m in a California is why!
Your V5 has nothing to do with it! Limits are set by class of vehicle, which is defined by the Road Traffic Act, the DVLA have no say.

Happy new year everyone :thumbsup:

Your V5 has nothing to do with it!

Happy new year everyone :thumbsup:
Nope, but your V5C is the evidence of how your van is officially classified by the DVLA at the time of an alleged speeding infringement. On the road I described, PV = 60mph, California = 70mph! It doesn’t matter what modifications one has made to the PV if it is still classified as a PV

Nope, but your V5C is the evidence of how your van is officially classified by the DVLA at the time of an alleged speeding infringement. On the road I described, PV = 60mph, California = 70mph! It doesn’t matter what modifications one has made to the PV if it is still classified as a PV
Completely incorrect. V5 nothing to do with it as @Phil G stated.

Completely incorrect. V5 nothing to do with it as @Phil G stated.
I am happy to be corrected here and then apologise for putting out incorrect information....but, repeatedly just telling me I’m wrong is not taking me on a learning journey!

I am happy to be corrected here and then apologise for putting out incorrect information....but, repeatedly just telling me I’m wrong is not taking me on a learning journey!

Dual Purpose vehicles is car speed limits. So my van for example satisfies these conditions in the second bullet point, so car speeds even though N1 on V5C
From Gov.uk:

Dual purpose vehicles
A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:

• constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle
or

• permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas

Also

Dual Purpose vehicles is car speed limits. So my van for example satisfies these conditions in the second bullet point, so car speeds even though N1 on V5C
From Gov.uk:

Dual purpose vehicles
A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:

• constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle
or

• permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas

Also
Yep, I completely accept that. And to challenge the prosecution you’d have to demonstrate that while it is currently classed as N1, it is since been modified to satisfy “Dual Purpose”. Then there is the need to demonstrate that it was dual purpose at the time of the alleged infringement and not modified afterwards. The point I was making is that my California is classified as dual purpose and therefore I don’t need to demonstrate it as such but refer to the accepted classification

Yep, I completely accept that. And to challenge the prosecution you’d have to demonstrate that while it is currently classed as N1, it is since been modified to satisfy “Dual Purpose”. Then there is the need to demonstrate that it was dual purpose at the time of the alleged infringement and not modified afterwards. The point I was making is that my California is classified as dual purpose and therefore I don’t need to demonstrate it as such but refer to the accepted classification
The same happens with ULEZ! I put my private ref on my van and now the cameras pick me up for ULEZ....I put the original plate back on and I am ULEZ exempt! So, if I drive in London, now I have to argue why I am ULEZ exempt....because it is the exact same van and Numberplates do not cause emissions! But, my new V5C with my private numberplate doesn’t say it is ULEZ exempt whereas my original one did. And the TfL checker agrees with V5C!

From Gov.uk:

Dual purpose vehicles

or

Also
To confirm for my own sanity, van weighs less that 2040kg and has seats behind the driver/ passenger and has side and rear windows. And has to be 4motion?

Know doubt I am way off the mark but happy to be educated!

Last edited:
It won't be long before the speed you travel at between A and B will no longer be your decision to make. Your UberGoogleTeslaPod will travel along at whatever speed the clever algorithm has decided it needs to move you at. Achieving the most efficient journey with the minimal of congestion.

Alternatively.... beam me up Scotty.

I have signed the petition :think smile bounce: Time to level the playing field so we are at the same speeds as California's even though I am a "Van with Windows" :thumbsup:

god help us , as most delivery van drivers need help with their driving at best of times

It won't be long before the speed you travel at between A and B will no longer be your decision to make. Your UberGoogleTeslaPod will travel along at whatever speed the clever algorithm has decided it needs to move you at. Achieving the most efficient journey with the minimal of congestion.

Once this happens the fun of driving will be taken away from us all.

No pun intended, but this is the direction of travel. The “smart motorway” technology put in so far is way, way beyond “turning an extra lane on or off via the overhead gantry”!

The same happens with ULEZ! I put my private ref on my van and now the cameras pick me up for ULEZ....I put the original plate back on and I am ULEZ exempt! So, if I drive in London, now I have to argue why I am ULEZ exempt....because it is the exact same van and Numberplates do not cause emissions! But, my new V5C with my private numberplate doesn’t say it is ULEZ exempt whereas my original one did. And the TfL checker agrees with V5C!
If you go to the Jerba van site, they have a very good explanation on what DVLA have to say and the regulations on Motor caravan classification
You would have to argue a NIP

Van with windows

Don't believe anything that dvla says - I have spent 6 months arguing a point with a manager and a clerk there about application of PIP/disability rules and refund of tax. I finally got someone in the complaints team that could understand the English language and read the DWP letters despite my pointing out the relevant parts numerous times. For 6 months torture I was awarded £20 compensation + my refund! ( I was going to frame it as a symbol of victory over their stupidity ) They really do make up their own "rules" that have no basis in law. At least I have changed one of them for the better.

If you go to the Jerba van site, they have a very good explanation on what DVLA have to say and the regulations on Motor caravan classification
You would have to argue a NIP

Van with windows
I completely agree and that’s the point I was making: I don’t have to argue a NIP that doesn’t arise as the classification of my vehicle is agreed at the point of first registration ... that is what the DVLA record (V5C) shows!

There is nothing stopping a user having the classification agreed, having DVLA update the record (V5C) and avoiding a NIP. Equally, a user can make those arguments upon receipt of the NIP and there are many examples of police forces accepting these and ceasing the NIP.

The DVLA are not accurate as my joy of losing my ULEZ status when transferring a private registration to my van shows. Because of that, I would now have to argue a ULEZ charge if I drove into London....because of a DVLA cock-up, that’s what the DVLA record (V5C) shows!

Well, I will just put a copy of my original V5C (with original reg number) and current V5C (with private reg number) in front of the adjudicator and have him/her/them decide which part of those plastic numberplates on my van fell foul!

I remain open to be educated as to why I am completely wrong about the V5C and not receiving a NIP for the speeding infringement example.

Happy New Year all

Don't believe anything that dvla says - I have spent 6 months arguing a point with a manager and a clerk there about application of PIP/disability rules and refund of tax. I finally got someone in the complaints team that could understand the English language and read the DWP letters despite my pointing out the relevant parts numerous times. For 6 months torture I was awarded £20 compensation + my refund! ( I was going to frame it as a symbol of victory over their stupidity ) They really do make up their own "rules" that have no basis in law. At least I have changed one of them for the better.
I congratulate you on your victory, but they are a painful outfit to deal with. As for their oft-abused COVID excuse when you contact them.....grrr! What’s worse is when you finally speak to a humanoid and even explain which screen of which system they need to look at....wow, do they get the hump!

That said, as a humanoid myself, I do understand the protectionist approach adopted by some within the organisation who are rapidly watching their jobs evaporate as more and more of their “services” are redundant as the systems are upgraded.

Last edited:
Back