Reclassification Speed Limit Petition

Good spot. Current regs seem like a complete nonsense, so ripe for alignment

Other than speed cameras, which I don’t believe most can differentiate between classes of vehicles, have many people on here been actually fined for speeding?

It won’t be long before motorway speed limits drop to reduce pollution.
The petition isn’t written solely for campervans, it includes all commercial vehicles under 3.5T. That includes white van man who is frequently breaking the national speed limit already.
I‘d rather see legislation to be able to prosecute employers who schedule work which encourages employees to break the speed limit. Ie couriers with more deliveries than they can make in their shift.

Other than speed cameras, which I don’t believe most can differentiate between classes of vehicles, have many people on here been actually fined for speeding?
Not in my van.

As for the petition it is a complete waste of time. There is only 1 direction speed limits are going and it certainly isn't up. I believe there wont be a national speed limit soon, as they are all seem to becoming 50 or even 40mph. So it wont matter when that happens as vans will be the same.

Why not sign it, nothing to lose. Agreed speed limits are slowly being reduced however will that also mean that commercial vehicles under 3.5T will still be required to travel at a reduced speed compared to the posted limit as is the case now?

I feel that drivers of campers are actually way more aware of their speed in general yet we are roped in with the WVM/couriers, who as mentioned above blatantly flout the speed limits.

Last edited:
Slower moving traffic equals longer queues of traffic taking longer to complete their journeys.
More longer queues of stationary traffic sitting with engines running.
Err - no, slower moving steady traffic actually reduces traffic jams. I was a disbeliever until the manged motorways in the midlands came into force and the actual delays and stationary sections were reduced.

Not in my van.

As for the petition it is a complete waste of time. There is only 1 direction speed limits are going and it certainly isn't up. I believe there wont be a national speed limit soon, as they are all seem to becoming 50 or even 40mph. So it wont matter when that happens as vans will be the same.

Not necessarily, the French introduced a blanket limit of 80kph (from 90kph) a few years back but many departments are revoking that and returning to the 90kph.

Slower moving traffic equals longer queues of traffic taking longer to complete their journeys.
Also there is the psychological impact the above has on some drivers: driving slower on this stretch, I will catch up on the faster stretch, also known as speeding.

not sure I agree with that. Slower moving vehicles of all sizes reduces emissions and improves fuel economy.

longer time = better fuel economy - just look at mpg for 100 kph versus 120 kph

Err - no, slower moving steady traffic actually reduces traffic jams. I was a disbeliever until the manged motorways in the midlands came into force and the actual delays and stationary sections were reduced.

Not necessarily, the French introduced a blanket limit of 80kph (from 90kph) a few years back but many departments are revoking that and returning to the 90kph.
I didnt say they would reduce motorway speed limits from 70mph. I said I believe they will do away with the national speed limit. 2 different things.

This always puzzles me, surely reducing speed limits has the opposite effect.
Drag (air resistance) is exponential to speed, doubling speed increases drag x4, trebling speed increases drag x9.
A relatively small reduction in speed will result in significant fuel savings, even more so if vehicles were designed to be aerodynamic and operated by a computer not a petrol head.

Why not sign it, nothing to lose. Agreed speed limits are slowly being reduced however will that also mean that commercial vehicles under 3.5T will still be required to travel at a reduced speed compared to the posted limit as is the case now?

I feel that drivers of campers are actually way more aware of their speed in general yet we are roped in with the WVM/couriers, who as mentioned above blatantly flout the speed limits.
Not true! It depends on what your V5C says! I can do 70mph on a dual-carriage A-road with central reservation/barrier whereas you are limited to 60mph! I’m in a California is why!

Not true! It depends on what your V5C says! I can do 70mph on a dual-carriage A-road with central reservation/barrier whereas you are limited to 60mph! I’m in a California is why!
I can do 70mph anywhere I like so long as the law doesn’t catch me. Joking before anyone has a pop :rolleyes:

I have signed the petition :think smile bounce: Time to level the playing field so we are at the same speeds as California's even though I am a "Van with Windows" :thumbsup:

Hip replacements too, don’t forget!

Back