Reclaiming VAT on a T32 kombi .

Yes drew Payload. This is why 4motions are tricky and I got a panel van...

Thank you,

I had hoped not, the OP just mentioned over 1000Kgs. The dealer today said it wouldn't be an issue due to the vans N1 category, was just looking for some clarity. The online help at VW has just told me the dedicated load space is larger in an SWB so maybe this is the way to go.

Many thanks

Drew

Hi @DrewParkes 1000kg payload is the threshold for a vat reclaim on a kombi as I understand it .

Thanks for the replies folks. Bugger I may have to change my mind. I am trying to find out if the passenger area is larger now. The model I am looking at fails by 22kg's damn. I need the 4 wheel drive in the winter too.

Oh well.

Drew

What are you using the van for. If you have a good reason e.g. Use it for work like me as a heating engineer or carry workers and equipment you should be ok . If you could be using a car for your job then I would go for the 1000kg

From what i have read on this , the vat man does not look at the circumstances you are using the kombi for just the rules for the claim. One example i read about was a company that changed there fleet of transit crew cabs (1000kg + payload) for merc. vito kombies (below 1000kg) the vat refund was rejected, even tho he vehicles were solely for work crew and tools. If i remember the refund was around the £15000 mark.
Dont take my word for this its worth some research and calls as it is a lot of loot to lose on a new purchase.

The 1000kg payload was brought in to stop people buying pickup trucks and fitting a canopy top then use it as car as the canopy always reduced the payload. Problem is everyone switched to combo vans and now the hmrc want a bit of that pie.

As long as the van/kombi is used for work and has n1 classification it will qualify for vat regardless of payload.

The problem with claims being rejected is when the vehicle is purchased to be used as a car or not for work and is clearly taking advantage of the vat claim back.

If your van never carries tools or materials and is pimped to the nines regardless of whether it carries a 1000kg you can clearly see why the hmrc think people are bending the rules and may reject a t32 for a refund.

It's all a matter of what if? Maybe they will come and inspect you or maybe they will issue the refund and you never hear from them again!!

I purely bought the kombi as a replacement for a pickup truck so I could claim the vat back and have the reduced BIK, I will modify it but I also make sure it has tools in it and space for materials and a dirty looking ply floor in the rear.

Three times a year it will have 3 passengers in it and that is my reason for having the kombi rather than a van. If thinks I could have a van instead he can come and spend the night with me and my brother squashed in the front of our panel van and get to know us intimately in the tiny 3 seats !!!!!!!!:D

In case it is helpful, I would like to point out that the current T30 Kombi EDITION has an increased gross weight of 3080kg which brings the stated payload of the 3 options to over 1000kg in each case, the only T30s to be so specced.

First post here, I’ve been finding this thread and many others on the forum to be very informative in helping me choose a new T6 - so a big THANKS

Reading WH comments above, regards the new Limited Edition T30 Kombi which can now carry the 1000kg payload, would you have to factor in for carrying of passengers, if so would this not then reduce the load capacity to under the magic 1000kg figure, just checking as been offered a very good deal on an Edition Kombi and maybe worth a consider

Bryan1971: That was also what I had heard but saying that, whilst chasing around looking for a van i've noticed how a lot of the VW guys you speak to don't seem to know the answer or maybe they choose to ignore the answer :)

Thats not too horrendous then especially if it takes you into the guaranteed 1000kg magic payload bracket

Back