Commercial Policies

bluezie

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Just a word of warning to anyone using a commercial policy on a personal use van - YOU ARE NOT COVERED!!!
I have just claimed for a no fault accident on my T6.1, and I had to prove I was in business with documents, before the claim would go through. If I'd bought a commercial policy for a personal use van, my insurance would be invalid, and the third party insurance wouldn't pay on an uninsured van, so I'd have faced a £12,500 repair bill!
This if a fairly new thing, as I have had many no fault claims, and never had to prove my business credentials before. If you're VAT registered, or a LTD company, they will check you out behind the scenes, but if a sole trader, you have to prove it using customer invoices and bank statements etc. In other words, you really do have to be in business, you can't blag this one! But if you are in business, the policy does still cover you for personal use as well.
Commercial policies used to be a lot more expensive than personal ones, but I think things have changed, and some people are buying a cheaper commercial policy for their personal van. The same has always been for the other way round, if you use a personal policy for business, you are not covered.

interesting. . .

i have commercial Ins for the T6 T32 VAN, that covers my work + personal use + named driver ( im Ltd & Vat firm) - thats about £1000 a year (cant drive any other motor on this policy)

and i have to have separate personal fully comp Ins for the T6 T30 BUS (kombi conversion), for me & the Wife + drive other motor @ about £600.

both parked on same drive in London.

i suppose there are many factors involved as well like post code, crime rate, mile travelled, personal risk factors, drivers risk, previous claims, protected NCB, claim history, type of work, access to other vehicles,

1710317496423.png1710317541051.png

Back