Side-window curtain recommendations

My rear window has been tinted, also have curtains. Once the light are on at night you need curtains for sure

A major improvement on the Cali is the front and rear curtains/blinds.
The comedy Heath Robinson front "tent" style blind is now a pair of retracting roller blinds that fit into slots in the middle of the windscreen and the rear roller blind now fits much better into it's slots.
The van is quite dark when all the blinds are closed.

I had a set of blackout curtains fitted while I was on Holiday down in Devon a month ago at Vanscape - Bideford.
Only £155 including the VAT & fitting for both kombi side windows and the rear window to - Very pleased with them and can highly recommend Vanscape services.

IMG_2204.JPG IMG_2203.JPG

Hi. Has anyone fir these Vanshades blinds. Are they worth the money. 450 notes for 3 blinds seems excessive.

Yep, defo worth EVERY penny! Nice people as well! Heartily recommend them to all.

Note to all with the factory fit sliding Windows on the rear doors, you need to remove the top of the top sliding rail trim, and the bottom of the bottom sliding rail trim, otherwise they (the window pods) catch on the door seal at the top, as they wont go in low enough otherwise. I found this out by speaking to Pete at Vanshades, and he was most helpful as ever, and took his time to explain the fitment process to me in detail, despite being run off his feet.

Further note, rear tailgate window pod, you remove the wiper motor trim, as this is built into the pod. I will try and find the time to upload some pics at some stage.

I also got the 8mm magnetic driver tool bit included that is used for the fastenings, and the units were very well carpeted and finished with good attention to detail.

Last edited:
Here are few pictures of mine installed on a twin slider.

Order process was nice and simple and took around three weeks, I was sent some carpet samples and its a fairly close match to what I have already.

Delivery was from Tufnells in a HGV with the product well packaged and protected.

Im not too happy with the fit around the handle and the slight bow in the plastic where the blind comes down, I've spoken with the guys about this and they think I've pushed the bottom edge into far (I put the plastic lug in up against the window frame and screwed it in) They are suggesting that I need to undo and pull this edge out from there a little which will straighten it up.

Overall I like and they seem to be of good quality, slight downside that they do slightly reduce visibility when look over your shoulder. I'm also not sure what my 18moth old daughter will make of them or how manny snacks she will manage to secrete between them and the glass but time will have to tell on that one. I chose the thermal option and I'm not sure what insulation properties this will offer as its thin fabric with a air gap.

All that said its defiantly the best option out there at the moment and a lot nicer than curtains and tracking.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_428e.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_427d.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4291.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_427a.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_427e.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4294.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4285.jpg

Hi all

Finally ready to purchase some blackout curtains for both my side sliding windows .
Who's got what ?
I've looked at van-x,veedub and vanstyle
I can hardly tell the difference between them all...

Any recommendations appreciated

Cheers

I have Van-x and they're good. I used Kiravans in my old van and they were also good. I like different things on both of them.

• Kiravans come already moulded to the frame of the window, Van-x you have to trim and bend.

• Van-x were really good at keeping out the light, they are a heavy duty material. Kiravans were a little thinner but did keep the light out.

• Van-x frame has you attaching the screws separate to the channel that the curtains run in so no chance of it catching. Kiravans its within the same channel but does miss the screwhead.

• The Van-x tailgate lower frame is crap in my opinion, you can see the fittings and the attachment screws are a pain to grip the ply lining without pulling through, will have to pick up a piece of metal within the tailgate void to stop this.

I am yet to fit the rear quarter curtain in my van as i need to cut out the window but i remember fitting a kiravans one in my last van and finding the two poppers you fit to the side of the van were in the void of the vents in the rear of the van. I couldn't believe they had designed this so poorly. When I lined the van this time i covered the void's with a piece of ply, firstly to hide the annoying void and secondly so i can screw in a popper anywhere.

Have a look at the frame colours, I like to have the frame trim the same colour as the lining carpet so it looks more 'hidden'

Andy

I have Van-x and they're good. I used Kiravans in my old van and they were also good. I like different things on both of them.

• Kiravans come already moulded to the frame of the window, Van-x you have to trim and bend.

• Van-x were really good at keeping out the light, they are a heavy duty material. Kiravans were a little thinner but did keep the light out.

• Van-x frame has you attaching the screws separate to the channel that the curtains run in so no chance of it catching. Kiravans its within the same channel but does miss the screwhead.

• The Van-x tailgate lower frame is crap in my opinion, you can see the fittings and the attachment screws are a pain to grip the ply lining without pulling through, will have to pick up a piece of metal within the tailgate void to stop this.

I am yet to fit the rear quarter curtain in my van as i need to cut out the window but i remember fitting a kiravans one in my last van and finding the two poppers you fit to the side of the van were in the void of the vents in the rear of the van. I couldn't believe they had designed this so poorly. When I lined the van this time i covered the void's with a piece of ply, firstly to hide the annoying void and secondly so i can screw in a popper anywhere.

Have a look at the frame colours, I like to have the frame trim the same colour as the lining carpet so it looks more 'hidden'

Andy

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
I was looking at the veedub type this morning what i like is the rails are pre bent.

Rail pre-bent or not, the most important thing is the curtains and how they close. You won't be sat at night going 'I like the pre bent rails' when there's loads of light being let in.

Rail pre-bent or not, the most important thing is the curtains and how they close. You won't be sat at night going 'I like the pre bent rails' when there's loads of light being let in.
Agreed !especially if I'm after a blackout curtain ...:sleep:

the kiravans ones were easy to fit and effective! the tailgate one need a little home made block at the end to fill the hole, but still very good!
also fitted the cab curtain, again very good!

Back