Rear Anti-roll bar advice

Hi DaveD
I first thought it was the ARB bushing that was causing the noise, when I noticed that if I raised/lowered the rear suspension, it would make the same noise as when driving slowly whilst turning left or right.
So I contacted H&R in Germany (very helpful lady, loads of info).
She confirmed that when H&R supply the ARB to VW, they also supply the bushings. So that meant we had the right bushings. So eliminates that being the problem
She said that VW would use there own Torque settings for the bolts.
She confirmed that there has to be movement at the bar ends , because no drop links used.
The end bushes are closed, & slide off n on.
She said Check for dirt, & they don’t need lubricant.
But we couldn’t get them to work without them being noisy, so we used a bit of Tec Tane white lithium grease.
It worked a treat.
I now have silent air suspension (except for the compressor, but hey, we can’t Ave everything )
To be honest I am just glad to know that it wasn’t the air suspension, because I love it, especially the self levelling when wild camped.
The Lady in question is Yvonne ?? , very switched on member of the staff at H&R , she looks after my SA account and is always super helpful

The Lady in question is Yvonne ?? , very switched on member of the staff at H&R , she looks after my SA account and is always super helpful
Yr can say that again Steve.
When I first emailed H&R, I never expected a reply. Yvonne replied within 24 hours.
She’s a credit to H&R for putting up with all my emails.

Yr can say that again Steve.
When I first emailed H&R, I never expected a reply. Yvonne replied within 24 hours.
She’s a credit to H&R for putting up with all my emails.
Had lunch with her a while back , ( she smokes too much , at her own admission , but many Germans do ha ha )

Hi DaveD
I first thought it was the ARB bushing that was causing the noise, when I noticed that if I raised/lowered the rear suspension, it would make the same noise as when driving slowly whilst turning left or right.
So I contacted H&R in Germany (very helpful lady, loads of info).
She confirmed that when H&R supply the ARB to VW, they also supply the bushings. So that meant we had the right bushings. So eliminates that being the problem
She said that VW would use there own Torque settings for the bolts.
She confirmed that there has to be movement at the bar ends , because no drop links used.
The end bushes are closed, & slide off n on.
She said Check for dirt, & they don’t need lubricant.
But we couldn’t get them to work without them being noisy, so we used a bit of Tec Tane white lithium grease.
It worked a treat.
I now have silent air suspension (except for the compressor, but hey, we can’t Ave everything )
To be honest I am just glad to know that it wasn’t the air suspension, because I love it, especially the self levelling when wild camped.
Many thanks, I've done the same as you and the creaking has stopped. My ARB's were noisy front and rear, only at parking speed when steering and more so over uneven ground, it was very irritating but with your help it's sorted! :thumbsup:

Many thanks, I've done the same as you and the creaking has stopped. My ARB's were noisy front and rear, only at parking speed when steering and more so over uneven ground, it was very irritating but with your help it's sorted! :thumbsup:
It was irritating wasn’t it? Nice to know you have also sorted it.

I’ve always had a similar creaking noise after having VB Air fitted to my T32, but I’ve retained the standard ARBs. So maybe it’s not just an H&R characteristic? Though I have always thought that the sound was coming from the front left and was maybe the strut top mount - but only done 30k miles (20k since having VB Air fitted).
The actual noise doesn’t bother me too much, but I do sometimes wonder if it is indicative of a problem - and that does worry me.

I’ve always had a similar creaking noise after having VB Air fitted to my T32, but I’ve retained the standard ARBs. So maybe it’s not just an H&R characteristic? Though I have always thought that the sound was coming from the front left and was maybe the strut top mount - but only done 30k miles (20k since having VB Air fitted).
The actual noise doesn’t bother me too much, but I do sometimes wonder if it is indicative of a problem - and that does worry me.
First time I drove the van, I found the rolling on sharp bends unnerving. So I had the OEM front ARB replaced with the H&R.
Which certainly reduced the roll.
I initially looked at VB because of self levelling, & free up space used by ramps.
But am now a big fan of everything air( excuse the pun).
When I took the van back to SAP to look at the problem, it was then I discovered that the rear ARB was H&R factory fitted.
As I said earlier, they said it was the ARB movement at the end mounts.
But I was surprised (as it turned out) they didn’t know that it was supposed to move. Which if you think, they must have installed air on a lot of VW Vans.
I know SAP have nothing to do with the ARB when installling the VB air, but you would think they would have some knowledge of how the H&R ARB is connected without drop links at the rear.
I spoke to VB , & they said they new of no problems with noise except when the hand or foot brake was on during lowering/raising the suspension.
To be honest, I got more help from Yvonne at H&R.
If you didn’t have the noise before you had the VB air installed ( for which you paid a lot of money), I would dig a little more, & try to discover the reason.

Just to complete the analogy, the reason the ARB moves in and out of the bush at the back is because the ANTI Roll Bar doesnt pivot on the same axis as the swing arms do , there fore the bar must slide in and out of the bush on the trailing arm , It will only move extreme when off the ground , normal driving wont see such big movements

Back