Rear Anti-roll bar advice

elduderino

T6 Pro
Hi
68 T6 Highline camper conversion. T28

I have had VB full air suspension installed (SAP Doncaster).
At slow speeds( less than 20mph) when turning left or right, or going around small islands, or pulling away/ breaking. I can hear what I thought was a sharp creaking noise from the rear of Van.
I thought it maybe the rear air suspension causing it.
I have had SAP take a look. They can find nothing wrong with the suspension.
When it was up on the ramp, they showed me the bushing parts of the H&R anti-roll bar , at the ends, both sides & either side of the bushings, the blue paint was cleaner for about a 1/4 inch, which they said was causing the creaking at low speed.

they undid the mountings, & sprayed lubricant, but couldn’t get any under the inner part that is fixed to the bar.
As they had not fitted the bar( factory fitted), that was all they were prepared to do.
It worked for a day , but the creaking came back again.
Can someone advise please
1623399990015.jpeg
1623400040902.jpeg

Last edited:
I`d suggest the bushes haven`t enough clamping force on the bar, hence sliding. Maybe get new bushes/tougher material to eliminate the movement.

I'll take a look under the van later, I've got the same arbs

Hi
68 T6 Highline camper conversion. T28

I have had VB full air suspension installed (SAP Doncaster).
At slow speeds( less than 20mph) when turning left or right, or going around small islands, or pulling away/ breaking. I can hear what I thought was a sharp creaking noise from the rear of Van.
I thought it maybe the rear air suspension causing it.
I have had SAP take a look. They can find nothing wrong with the suspension.
When it was up on the ramp, they showed me the bushing parts of the H&R anti-roll bar , at the ends, both sides & either side of the bushings, the blue paint was cleaner for about a 1/4 inch, which they said was causing the creaking at low speed.

they undid the mountings, & sprayed lubricant, but couldn’t get any under the inner part that is fixed to the bar.
As they had not fitted the bar( factory fitted), that was all they were prepared to do.
It worked for a day , but the creaking came back again.
Can someone advise please
View attachment 119215
View attachment 119216
Mine does the same, fitted a couple of months ago. I've had my local garage check the tightness of everything, they say it's all good and it went through the MOT on Monday fine so I just put up with it, although it is irritating.

Usually get ‘ lift’ on the bar when checking for wear but not usual for lateral movement. I agree if there’s no wear in the bushes it’s fine but I’ve checked a fair few in my days . That’s the reason for your noise I guess. Best to check the cause of the movement- suspension mod? It maybe a characteristic of the new set up.

Here you go, very slight movement compared to yours, it's about the best I can do without jacking it up.

Your bushes look different though? And there's an additional plate on yours I noticed between the bush mount and the arm?

20210613_213248.jpg

And there's an additional plate on yours I noticed between the bush mount and the arm?
I suspect its the bracket that holds the pushrod for the height sensor. Used for self levelling headlights unless the air suspension also requires position feedback?

I suspect its the bracket that holds the pushrod for the height sensor. Used for self levelling headlights unless the air suspension also requires position feedback?
Possibly I've only ever seen under mine which doesn't have the headlight levelling on it

Your bushes look wrong to me though?

They look like oem ones to me, they look too long for the bracket on your pics? The H&R ones are quite tough poly and look different.

@CRS Performance Steve has done loads of these he can probably advise further...

They look like oem ones to me, they look too long for the bracket on your pics? The H&R ones are quite tough poly and look different.

@CRS Performance Steve has done loads of these he can probably advise further...
I dont think the problem is the Roll bar , is it possible to get a look at this van ??

All sorted.
The two end bushes on the ARB just needed lubricant.
I had H&R ARB's fitted a couple of months ago and ever since then, in exactly the same circumstances as you describe in your first post, I've had the occasional creak from the suspension, like you, my local garage has checked everything and can find no fault with anything. What did you use to lubricate the bushes and did you remove the bushes to do it?

Hi DaveD
I first thought it was the ARB bushing that was causing the noise, when I noticed that if I raised/lowered the rear suspension, it would make the same noise as when driving slowly whilst turning left or right.
So I contacted H&R in Germany (very helpful lady, loads of info).
She confirmed that when H&R supply the ARB to VW, they also supply the bushings. So that meant we had the right bushings. So eliminates that being the problem
She said that VW would use there own Torque settings for the bolts.
She confirmed that there has to be movement at the bar ends , because no drop links used.
The end bushes are closed, & slide off n on.
She said Check for dirt, & they don’t need lubricant.
But we couldn’t get them to work without them being noisy, so we used a bit of Tec Tane white lithium grease.
It worked a treat.
I now have silent air suspension (except for the compressor, but hey, we can’t Ave everything )
To be honest I am just glad to know that it wasn’t the air suspension, because I love it, especially the self levelling when wild camped.

Back