Random Question About Creating Exterior Access.

Stewby

Nurse
T6 Guru
Bear with me on this one as I try to explain it...

... Has anyone attempted to create an external access point in their T6. You know how caravans and motorhomes have storage which you access from outside the van.

I have tried google and pinterest but not really found anything. Is that because it is a really stupid idea?? or is it not done due to affecting the sturdiness of the vehicle??

Any thoughts on this would be good. Thanks.

Why would you need to when you could have 2 passenger doors, 2 sliding doors and 2 rear doors?
What is the proposed purpose?

Honestly, I saw a really cool motorhome where the electric hookup was inside an external cupboard. It looked like a really neat idea so was wondering about incorporating it into our veedub design. Just thought it was weird when researching that no-one else had looked at it (wasn't sure if there was a reason for it).

So thought I would ask on here.
:)

Ah ok, for things like electric hookup I have seen them hidden behind lights and under rear of vans to keep them hidden, that would be a much easier solution that cutting holes in panels :D.

As an example:

Bear with me on this one as I try to explain it...

... Has anyone attempted to create an external access point in their T6. You know how caravans and motorhomes have storage which you access from outside the van.

I have tried google and pinterest but not really found anything. Is that because it is a really stupid idea?? or is it not done due to affecting the sturdiness of the vehicle??

Any thoughts on this would be good. Thanks.
My EHU/gas BBQ point/ gaslow filler point/ 12V external plug are all hidden. No holes cut in the van body.

@Salty Spuds could you possibly explain how you put your gas filler behind the rear panel please?
I've had a look, and am unsure how the flap comes off.
It’s a cut & carve job, it was done by Dirty Weekender who did our conversion. Not sure how the original flap comes off tbh.

You have to take the rear light out then there are two fixings in the top edge of the flap, after these are out the flap lifts up and out

It’s a cut & carve job, it was done by Dirty Weekender who did our conversion. Not sure how the original flap comes off tbh.
So you're the one!

I was talking to Johnny about this and he said that he had done it for someone. I believe he described it as a "ball ache" :).

Eureka........... It's comes off easy, and as we sell and fit kitchens, I have access to the techno loggy, and the hinges etc to do this now, so my camper can remain a stealthy van

I’m surprised Van-X haven’t started making a hinged version for this exact reason. They seem to be on the ball when it comes to this sort of thing.
They’d sell pretty well, I’d imagine.

I’m surprised Van-X haven’t started making a hinged version for this exact reason. They seem to be on the ball when it comes to this sort of thing.
They’d sell pretty well, I’d imagine.
If they made one off the shelf, I'd buy for sure. Ideal place for hup.

You have to make a wedge to mount anything onto the body behind the flap, it’s not flat.

Back