Propex Underslung Gas Tank - No Gas For A Brew...

For what it's worth, my two pennies have used the system for the last 7 months.

On first fill there were problems which took a week to resolve, whilst a separate issue the pipes too and from the heater have to be unkinked, not deformed, not squashed a little oval, just the right length and ideally protected from any prevailing wind OR the heater will cut out due to incorrect air fuel ratios. After some tinkering it's been all fine since that first week except on Skye with huge 'blow tents away' type winds when it cut out a couple of times but started right back up again.

The other first fill problem was also air/fuel ratio specific and was down to the tank not filling to 100% but to 80%, air is trapped in the void and until the system burned through it and almost a tank of gas, all £13 worth ! the hob had flickering yellow tips to the flame indicating the air/fuel mix wasn't right.

The fix was, check, adjust and reroute the heater pipes and get pure gas in the tank by using it and refilling.

Propex customer service were excellent, we must have phoned them half a dozen times, they knew their stuff and I recommend the system to anyone.

Yes, I agree with Propex being excellent re customer services.
Spoke to Richard Kitchner (Propex MD) and also to "Jason" in the workshop. I felt they both wanted to help my situation and offered good advice as to what the problem could possibly be. I know they are talking to my converters to bring a happy, working resolution to my problem.

Complete new Propex tank arrived at the converters, fitted Tuesday, filled with 12 litres / £8.00 worth of LPG, left Buster at the converters to play with and turn on - off - 0n - off - on - off and on - off agin.
4 days all is looking good, works every time...
Drove Buster home tonight and tried to light the gas whilst on the drive - all is working ok.
Going camping this weekend for 3 days in Ashbourne (adult only site apparently - ooer , nudge, nudge, wink, wink) as the little person of the family clan is at Scout camp for 6 nights.
Lets see how the tank & valves behave?
Should I take my "spare" gas cylinders just in case it starts playing up again?
Looked at Google maps and the campsite is only 200yds from a local pub - all is good as a back up food / drink source.
The old, <4 month old tank will be going back to Propex, for investigation, but the tank is full of LPG and a courier is unlikely to want to collect and deliver.

Had an underslng gas tank fitted 10 months ago (brilliant), filled it up for £6 or so and, to me it looked like only 2 of the lights were illuminated on the gas gauge (though from the side it looked like all the lights were on so never gave it too much thought).
Over the weekend the lights went to one light and then over night to red, showing empty though still enough gas to make a cuppa or two.
Filled up with gas at the BP Bournemout garage for £7 where, for sure only 2 of the gauge lights are illuminated?
As it's a full tank I'd expect all the lights to be illuminated?
Anyone else had this?
I'll be contacting the company tomorrow as it's still in warranty though thought I'd ask the question here first? :)

Had an underslng gas tank fitted 10 months ago (brilliant), filled it up for £6 or so and, to me it looked like only 2 of the lights were illuminated on the gas gauge (though from the side it looked like all the lights were on so never gave it too much thought).
Over the weekend the lights went to one light and then over night to red, showing empty though still enough gas to make a cuppa or two.
Filled up with gas at the BP Bournemout garage for £7 where, for sure only 2 of the gauge lights are illuminated?
As it's a full tank I'd expect all the lights to be illuminated?
Anyone else had this?
I'll be contacting the company tomorrow as it's still in warranty though thought I'd ask the question here first? :)

A £6 and a £7 fill wouldn't fill my tank, that's only adding 40-55% depending on price.

Mine's a 15 ltr tank and the pump automatically stopped at 12.07 ltrs (£7.24) s0, depending on tempreture I gas when the guage turned red, showing empty there was a couple of ltrs in the tank?

Last edited:
The 15 litre tank should only be filled to 80% volume (12 litres) for safety reasons. This is automatically done, as there is a float switch within the tank.
So if it took £7 / 12 litres all is good and it must have been empty and you completely filled it as you would do.
But then all the leds should now be lit up.

Since having my new tank fitted, all is well after completing another 17 nights camping on 4 different sites.
After originally filling with £7 / 12 litres of gas all the lights 6/7??? were green. At the mo, I have 1 led lit up so I really need to refill before Busfest.
After speaking previouselly to Propex a few times re my troubles, they seem to be a helpful bunch and I hope you get your problem sorted.

How much does it cost to have a tank fitted and connected to a gas ring which is on the Calor 907 bottle.
Thanks.
OK guys, found a local fitter and its £695 supplied and fitted. I have a deisel heater so don't think its viable for a gas hob thatshardly used.
We are always down the pub.:)

Last edited:
How much does it cost to have a tank fitted and connected to a gas ring which is on the Calor 907 bottle.
Thanks.
OK guys, found a local fitter and its £695 supplied and fitted. I have a deisel heater so don't think its viable for a gas hob thatshardly used.
Get a BBQ point fitted at the rear, under the bumper at the same time. Saves hauling an extra gas bottle and regs etc.
I promise you - it’s the future (like garlic bread with cheese, as Peter Kay would say!!)
Don’t worry about the cost - it’s an enhancement to the all consuming money pit of a T6 :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks.
The kit is around £200 for a 6kg refillable bottle with the fitting kit. Pays for itself in 1/2 a dozen 907 refills. We have the gasit with an external bbq point. 6kg lasts us 2 months on tour with heavy bbq use.

@Dale What does the gauge on the tank say? (The mechanical dial one) The sender inside the tank has a magnet on it that allows the dial on the outside to synch up with it, maybe the dial on the outside which has the variable resistor for the remote gauge is faulty, or if there is some resistance in the wiring to/from the tank it could be giving a false reading on the led gauge.
Maybe try taking the dial gauge off and manually activating it to see how the led gauge responds.

@Dale What does the gauge on the tank say? (The mechanical dial one) The sender inside the tank has a magnet on it that allows the dial on the outside to synch up with it, maybe the dial on the outside which has the variable resistor for the remote gauge is faulty, or if there is some resistance in the wiring to/from the tank it could be giving a false reading on the led gauge.
Maybe try taking the dial gauge off and manually activating it to see how the led gauge responds.
Will look at that tomorrow where I'll also be contacting Propex to get it sorted under warranty..............will advise the forum of the results.

Will look at that tomorrow where I'll also be contacting Propex to get it sorted under warranty..............will advise the forum of the results.
Just came across this (
) on Youtube which may be an interest to some? In my case as it's under warranty I'll be getting Propex to fix it.

I’ve got a similar problem. Was using the van overnight with the heater on. I recall hearing the heater cutting in and out all night as you’d expect. In the morning the tank showed half full (green lights) and I had no heat from the propex and low gas flow at the hob. I thought I must have used all the gas and had an empty tank. Since coming home and refilling it (only £2.80 worth) it still isn’t working. I can hear the feint sound of a click from the solenoid but no green light on the propex and eventually it goes into lockout (single red flashing light). Van is going f into the conversion company this week to get it looked at.

Back