Filling a underslung LPG tank up from a Propane Callor Gas canister

PaulSB

Hi we are having a underslung LPG tank fitted by propex in a couple of weeks time.
I saw in a forum and I cant remember for the life of me which one a discussion about LPG being phased out.

Someone said that if the worst comes to the worst you could still using the underslung for storage by just connecting a Propane Callor Gas canister to the filler and filling the unserslung tank that way.

I asked propex technical about it and he said he did not see why not so long as you had the connector.

Has anyone tried this and what adaptor did you need to do it?

I will be putting this post on a couple of other forums as I cant remember where I saw the original post so apologies if you see it cropping up again

Hi we are having a underslung LPG tank fitted by propex in a couple of weeks time.
I saw in a forum and I cant remember for the life of me which one a discussion about LPG being phased out.

Someone said that if the worst comes to the worst you could still using the underslung for storage by just connecting a Propane Callor Gas canister to the filler and filling the unserslung tank that way.

I asked propex technical about it and he said he did not see why not so long as you had the connector.

I will be putting this post on a couple of other forums as I cant remember where I saw the original post so apologies if you see it cropping up again
No idea about the connector or the legal requirements but the best you can hope for is to equalise the pressure between the two vessels.

No idea about the connector or the legal requirements but the best you can hope for is to equalise the pressure between the two vessels.
Oh, and don’t have naked flames!

I’d seriously reconsider the fixed LPG installation, there are other hassle free options for cooking and heating such as Diesel.
If you go down the cylinder to tank filling route you will end up with partially used portable cylinders, unless you have a use for these it will be a financial loss.
Have a search on Wallas and Webasto.

Reactions: JOG
You would be needing to fill the underslung tank with liquid gas so the cylinder would have to be upside down and above to 'pour' it in.

THIS IS HIGHLY DANGEROUS -- DON'T DO IT!!!

You’re overthinking it. LPG will be available for some time yet. I have at least 2 LPG pumps within 2 miles of me. You’ll probably only have to fill it once a year, you can just top it up when you pass a garage, you don’t need to wait until it’s empty. We have a 6kg refillable for the cooking & BBQ and it lasts us at least a year & that’s with heavy use. That said, I personally would go down the Webasto route for the heating.

I really don’t tI guess hink that gravity will alter the pressure equalisation much

I’d seriously reconsider the fixed LPG installation, there are other hassle free options for cooking and heating such as Diesel.
If you go down the cylinder to tank filling route you will end up with partially used portable cylinders, unless you have a use for these it will be a financial loss.
Have a search on Wallas and Webasto.
We converted the van 6 years ago and are having an update we have a gas hob and bottle on board. Want to get more space by not having 2 bottles one for the hob and one for the cadac as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
You would be needing to fill the underslung tank with liquid gas so the cylinder would have to be upside down and above to 'pour' it in.

THIS IS HIGHLY DANGEROUS -- DON'T DO IT!!!
Thats what the guy at gasit said, they have a hose with connections and we would have they some form of pump or raise the canister above the tank and turn it upside down. Why do you say its dangerous?

You’re overthinking it. LPG will be available for some time yet. I have at least 2 LPG pumps within 2 miles of me. You’ll probably only have to fill it once a year, you can just top it up when you pass a garage, you don’t need to wait until it’s empty. We have a 6kg refillable for the cooking & BBQ and it lasts us at least a year & that’s with heavy use. That said, I personally would go down the Webasto route for the heating.
Thanks for that info, thats about the sort of use we will be doing. maybe 12 weeks a year. We have been converted for 6 years and having a bit of an update we have a diesel heater already, just want to get more space in the cab by not carrying 2 canisters, one for the hob and one for the cadac. I am fairly certain that we can get a refill in our area easily as we are near a cheshire gas depot and they have refill facilities, just thinking worst case scenarios.

Thanks for that info, thats about the sort of use we will be doing. maybe 12 weeks a year. We have been converted for 6 years and having a bit of an update we have a diesel heater already, just want to get more space in the cab by not carrying 2 canisters, one for the hob and one for the cadac. I am fairly certain that we can get a refill in our area easily as we are near a cheshire gas depot and they have refill facilities, just thinking worst case scenarios.
Over engineering a solution to a problem you don’t have!

We converted the van 6 years ago and are having an update we have a gas hob and bottle on board. Want to get more space by not having 2 bottles one for the hob and one for the cadac as well.
You can have one bottle onboard that can do both…feed your hob and feed an outlet for an outside BBQ

Thats what the guy at gasit said, they have a hose with connections and we would have they some form of pump or raise the canister above the tank and turn it upside down. Why do you say its dangerous?
I say it's dangerous because you are playing with liquid gas under very high pressure at that point and it would be very easy to have an accident with a heavy cylinder held high. The gas would instantly vaporise and could become the world's biggest flame thrower with the slightest spark.

Regardless of it igniting you would have the horrible problem of turning off valves to stop the escape whilst manging a cylinder that was trying to escape your grasp with the thrust from the escaping liquid.

If you download one of the LPG Apps you will find there are still plenty of LPG suppliers.

I have a Propex LPG tank for heating and cooking, a fillup lasts us for approx a year so.

I also have a separate LPG tank for running the van engine (it is a petrol engine) and haven't had any issues so far, I just use the app to find local suppliers when away from home. I wouldn't risk filling the tanks from a separate tank.

You can have one bottle onboard that can do both…feed your hob and feed an outlet for an outside BBQ

Thats exactly what I’m doing in our conversion. I also had concerns about LPG availability in future years so stuck with the traditional gas bottle approach.

Thats exactly what I’m doing in our conversion. I also had concerns about LPG availability in future years so stuck with the traditional gas bottle approach.
We have a 6kg Gaslow, runs our BBQ & hob easily for a year with heavy use. I've never run out. Costs around a fiver to fill. What's not to like?

Back