Propex HS2000 heater location

Pete C

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Not sure where to post this, but here goes:

We are part way through converting our T6 from panel van to camper van, and I want to fit a Propex HS2000 gas heater, mainly to extend the usage we can get through the year (keeps my wife happy).

I like the simplicity of this approach rather than the diesel alternatives, but could do with some advice on where to locate it internally that does not cause external problems for the inlet and exhaust vents. We have not fitted furniture or a bed yet, so we have plenty of options, but it can't go under the drivers or passenger seats.

Can anyone who has one of these on a T6 suggest an optimum location - specifically, I want to avoid choosing a location where cross-members, exhaust, spare tyre, fuel tank etc will not get in the way underneath.

Photos would be ideal :)

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Worth a forum search as I was considering this route but it appears they're rather noisy

Yes, I had heard they could be more noisy than alternatives, but we won't be running it at night, so relaxed about that.

I have done loads of internet searching, but can't find much about fitting one to a T6.

Pete

I'm equally interested in any replies here. Seems a simple solution to getting some heat in the van..

I'm going to have a look under the van at the weekend to see what is possible, but if anyone has any advice then all gratefully received.

Thanks,

Pete

Get the external one and fit it where propex fit them which is under the van, under the driver's seat. You drop the heat guard thing and away you go. As far as I recall you don't even need to drill anything as it fits into something that is already there. They are helpful if you call em up. Bare in mind they will fit for ~620 all in which is decent given the heater is over 500 on its own. So if you are down south I'd defo just do that.

"Not sure where to post this, but here goes:

We are part way through converting our T6 from panel van to camper van"

can we move this to the camper section @Pauly ? would be useful for others too? @Pete C - im not sure if you've seen this section?

Not sure where to post this, but here goes:

We are part way through converting our T6 from panel van to camper van, and I want to fit a Propex HS2000 gas heater, mainly to extend the usage we can get through the year (keeps my wife happy).

I like the simplicity of this approach rather than the diesel alternatives, but could do with some advice on where to locate it internally that does not cause external problems for the inlet and exhaust vents. We have not fitted furniture or a bed yet, so we have plenty of options, but it can't go under the drivers or passenger seats.

Can anyone who has one of these on a T6 suggest an optimum location - specifically, I want to avoid choosing a location where cross-members, exhaust, spare tyre, fuel tank etc will not get in the way underneath.

Photos would be ideal :)

Thanks in advance,

Pete
I phoned Propex Leisure and asked the same questions. It cannot be fitted internally, it is an external unit. It is mounted above all of the protective panelling that is on the underside of the van, under the drivers seat.
I asked them if they could make the supply and return function within the OEM parts of a Cali/ Velle i.e b-post and door step, but they claimed they couldn’t due to heat build up. I have now got an exploded diagram of these parts that I intend to challenge them on to explain, but am so busy with work I haven’t had the chance.

I'll answer my own question :)

I have started the install of an HS2000 heater into my T6 (SWB). The photos below show the holes I drilled (after much measuring and checking), and the heater then in place. I need to build a box around the heater, and get gas and electric to it, plus mount the thermostat, so will update this thread when that is in place.

The heater is mounted between the furniture unit, and the bed/seat (Streamline) towards the drivers side of the vehicle. There is a cross-beam under the floor just behind where I have mounted the heater, so you either put it where I have, or mount it further back behind the beam. It's quite close to the spare if you do put it there.

Pete

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

IMG_5032.jpg

IMG_5026.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

A further update:

The supplied stainless tubing have been attached to the inlet and outlet of the heater on the underside of the van. Precisely how you route the pipes will depend on your van configuration, and what options you have fitted.

IMG_5082.jpg

The exhaust hose is routed to the left in the photo, towards the nearside of the van. It is quite close to the van exhaust pipe. The inlet is routed towards to the rear of the van on the offside.

IMG_5081.jpg

This shows the routing of the exhaust hose, running along the beam that runs the width of the vehicle, using a couple of the provided P clips.

Back up top, I have fabricated a box to surround the heater:

IMG_5087.jpg

The lid is not shown. The instructions for the heater say leave 1” all around the heater, which I have done. The nearside (right in the picture) of the heater is not fully enclosed due to the frame of the bed/seat, and you can see the vent at the back to allow fresh air in. Basically, if the vent at the back gets blocked due to luggage, then the side will allow air in and vice versa.

I have run the heater, and it all works well. The fan is fairly noisy, but not outrageously so, and it certainly heats up the van quickly.

I will post pictures of the wiring and thermostat mounting later.

Pete

Just to add a bit more:

Both holes in the van floor are bigger than the hoses attached them, creating a potential gap for moisture to get in. I used a flue sealant to fill the gap on the outlet, and standard silicone sealant on the inlet (as it will be cold).

Pete

Yes, I had heard they could be more noisy than alternatives, but we won't be running it at night, so relaxed about that.

I have done loads of internet searching, but can't find much about fitting one to a T6.

Pete
Having researched this for a few months now I have decided on the Propex solution.
AS such i'll shortly (couple of weeks) be having both an external gas tank and a Propex heater fitted to my T6 by Propex in Ringwood.
The furniture layout and fridge (California type) position will make this a harder fit than Propex normally encounter though we've agreed today where the controls and vents will go (fingers crossed thay can get them in as agreed as it'll look great if they can).
I'll post photos of the installion once fitted which may be of interest to others.

Having researched this for a few months now I have decided on the Propex solution.
AS such i'll shortly (couple of weeks) be having both an external gas tank and a Propex heater fitted to my T6 by Propex in Ringwood.
The furniture layout and fridge (California type) position will make this a harder fit than Propex normally encounter though we've agreed today where the controls and vents will go (fingers crossed thay can get them in as agreed as it'll look great if they can).
I'll post photos of the installion once fitted which may be of interest to others.
Don’t forget to make sure they install an in-line switch on the live feed between the fuse and the heater. I fed this back to them after testing why mine kept going into fault. Ultimately it’s because the heater does not like the voltages kicked out by the intelligent alternator on the T6. I asked them to make a note in their installation paperwork when putting these in T6’s, who knows if they took any notice.

Mine goes into fault weekly. Not hard to reset but a bit annoying. And it's really noisy. No way I could sleep with it on (without earplugs). Its so cheap to run tho. Lpg just seems to cost nothing as it lasts so long.

Very happy with ours. No issues at all. When camping we only use it in the evenings before we go to bed, and in the morning before we get up and out. We don’t need it overnight generally, but, yes it would be too loud to run all night.

If we are going to be stopping over night and it is so cold we need to heat the van during the night, then we chose a site with EHU and use an electric heater.

Pete

Last edited:
Back