Probable Write Off....

Sturge

IT Support
VIP Member
T6 Guru
My wife got side swiped by an old lady last week. She connected on the drivers door, and then scraped the side and her front wheel hit our back wheel. Both vehicles spun round (about 30mph speed at impact). Fortunately no major injuries as far as I'm aware (old lady walking wounded) and my wife is very sore, but otherwise fine. Fortunately dash cam fitted and shows clearly old lady veered across the road.

I'm pragmatic about it, just frustrated at the amount of hassle this will now entail.

The van has been badly damaged with the back wheel shoved back and into the wheelarch, suspension ripped out of the chassis, and as it is 4motion assume it will have damaged the driveline. Also the bodyshell damaged around the wheel arch along with both doors.

VW Authorised repairer says it is a total loss.

My van is all modifications declared (Absolute5 line out and electrics, Bognor Bilstein lowered, lovely front seats from Vision leather, nice wheels, and then a huge standard spec). Vehicle is 10 months old. It is on a Adrian Flux policy with ERS and the policy will pay out the invoice price of the van as it is less than a year old (although yet to have the conversation , and awaiting their confirmation about write off)

So question is this. I am wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of claiming in these situations. Are you able to get back the cost of the mods, or do they hold you to the invoice price of the base van? All the mods were done when the vehicle was brand new, but not from one source (or one invoice).

Any advice welcome!

IMG_4920.jpg

Like Deaky, I feel for you mate.
I was insured through Adrian Flux on my previous van. I'm sure yours is the same, but they have a really comprehensive portal that I could access on the internet to view my own policy details.
Have you had a good dig through the Terms and conditions involving modifications?

I will be watching the outcome of this one, because like you and many other members, I've sunk a huge amount of money into my T6 after purchase.

Good luck

Just think what might have happened without the dash cam ...............

the policy is reasonably clear about returning to the invoice value of the vehicle (i.e. including any discounts) up to the value declared on the policy. The declared value was higher than the invoice price (ex VAT) and the mods are listed, so just trying to work out where I stand.

Really sorry for you but as mentioned above glad everyone ok, it is only metal and can be replaced but fully appreciate the hoops you now need to go through.

I am insured with Adrian Flux and have done an agreed valuation form with pics etc ontop of the base price of the vehicle, they asked for receipts and pics.
the policy is reasonably clear about returning to the invoice value of the vehicle (i.e. including any discounts) up to the value declared on the policy. The declared value was higher than the invoice price (ex VAT) and the mods are listed, so just trying to work out where I stand.
Sorry to see this post but glad everyone OK, I am insured with AF also but they made me fill in an agreed valuation form with pics and receipts etc of work carried out..........did they give you this option?

Really sorry for you but as mentioned above glad everyone ok, it is only metal and can be replaced but fully appreciate the hoops you now need to go through.

I am insured with Adrian Flux and have done an agreed valuation form with pics etc ontop of the base price of the vehicle, they asked for receipts and pics.

Sorry to see this post but glad everyone OK, I am insured with AF also but they made me fill in an agreed valuation form with pics and receipts etc of work carried out..........did they give you this option?

No they didn’t mention that. That would have been a good idea. Learning all the time!!

It's all going through the third party insurance so it's irrelevant what your own policy covers. Flux won't deal with it they will just pass it on to a vulture aka claims management company.
When mine got written off I rang her insurance and dealt with it myself to cut out the middle man. It took a bit of back and forth but I got a hire car straight away from them, and strangely got slightly more than I asked for.
They tried to tell me they would repair it if I didn't take less but I stood my ground and they came round.
And was all done in about a month.
You can always get independent legal advice at any time throughout the process if it's not going your way..or threaten to as i believe they're all costs that can be claimed for ;)

Also watch out for vultures that ring claiming to be acting on your behalf and get you to go with them. I thought I was savvy but nearly got roped in to signing up with a solicitor after getting a call from someone who had some details of the crash. He made out he was from the insurers and told me a certain amount was already set aside for my injury claim (talked it up and made up injuries for me I didn't have) and the assessor was going to look at my van that afternoon etc. I was convinced at that point but then put me through to a solicitor that said would take 30% of the settlement for my injury claim! I realised it started to sound dubious so rang her insurance co and they knew nothing about this guy.
I'm guessing but perhaps the recovery companies sell on details. It was strange how much he knew, my registration and vehicle for example so soon after it happened!

Thanks. Just spoke with the claims management company (!) and they say the modifications should fall under the policy, but anything that doesn't should fall under the 'uninsured loss recovery' bit, including things like my 5 year 150,000 mile warranty I bought! So lookng positive at the moment.

Also watch out for vultures that ring claiming to be acting on your behalf and get you to go with them. I thought I was savvy but nearly got roped in to signing up with a solicitor after getting a call from someone who had some details of the crash. He made out he was from the insurers and told me a certain amount was already set aside for my injury claim (talked it up and made up injuries for me I didn't have) and the assessor was going to look at my van that afternoon etc. I was convinced at that point but then put me through to a solicitor that said would take 30% of the settlement for my injury claim! I realised it started to sound dubious so rang her insurance co and they knew nothing about this guy.
I'm guessing but perhaps the recovery companies sell on details. It was strange how much he knew, my registration and vehicle for example so soon after it happened![/QUOTE]

We have had this following an accident when the only people we have notified has been our insurance company. So the "referral" must have come from our insurers or possibly via third party.

Back