Prices During COVID-19

Lots of speculation going on still, because that's all it is.
The Eu could sustain the loss of trade better then we could. They can absorb this across all the nations. Germany in particular is very well set up and is experienced in absorbing crisis and upheaval They have the whip hand, if they want to use it, we just have the bluff and of what. The EU could just reluctantly wash their hands. They have signalled they will take the UK to court and who know what would happen then. If things do not go well, things could become very awkward. There would have to be a massive change of life here. Unemployment on an unprecedented scale. Companies going bust or re homing within the EU. It may not just be the lack of VW, or having to pay premium to have one. Having anything like, might be a luxury to far for many. It could be years and years of strife. Britain is a rich country but this wealth is in the hands of a very few people. I doubt that they would give too much thought to peoples happiness, contentment and indulgences in leisure pursuits. On top of COVID 19 this could be very dire indeed. Any one for chlorinated chicken, its just gone up $$$$$
Oh please, I like to come here to get away from all that propaganda! :slow rofl:

My concern is if it’s delivered in January after we have left the EU, and if that’s without a trade deal, I don’t know if the tariff can be applied on goods ordered before we left or if it will only apply on orders placed after we have left. Of course if Boris can get a free trade deal before January there’s nothing to worry about.
I am hearing 10% tariff

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
I am hearing VW will reduce UK list prices in accordance with any tariff costs. :)
That would be nice but I have been looking at new Crafters and Man TGR all have said allow for the extra 10 % ,in the event of no deal so I am going to hold on until we have some clarity ,what a f***ing shit storm

If buying A pre owned from a dealer I can tell you the prices appear to be gradually increasing VW in Loughton took my deposit and then said the van wasn’t available about a month later - I did get a van from Vw in chelmsford and they were great - kept in touch with the guy and he said I wouldn’t get the deal I had got 3 months ago as they can’t get enough (150 bhp 2016 EU6 panel van)

VW if they want to keep their sales in the UK will soak up any new tariff, Harley Davidson have been doing it since the EU hit the US with them in their on going trade disagreement.

I've been keeping half an eye on prices, as kept seeing this mentioned and regularly see kombis at the same spec and mileage as mine, for the same price as I paid 3 years and 42k miles ago. This has to be £2-4k rise. No complaints here.
I’m staggered by the prices of vans of similar to lesser spec being around the same price as we also paid about 3 years ago.

I keep getting emails from the local dealership asking if we’d sell as demand is high but with all the bits I’ve done to it I’m not sure they want to give me more than they sold it to me for

That and I’m in no position to buy a new van...

Dont think its Brexit pushing prices up at the moment, more likely staycations with people looking at camping in UK. Colleague looking at Van's for transport of canoe and motorbike has noticed increase and was told by dealers alot of people enquiring for that very reason.

Dont think its Brexit pushing prices up at the moment, more likely staycations with people looking at camping in UK. Colleague looking at Van's for transport of canoe and motorbike has noticed increase and was told by dealers alot of people enquiring for that very reason.
Yes, but why the increase in staycations (stupid name for holidays in the UK) is due to CV19 Shirley?

I believe that the increased van use for home holiday use is caused by a combination of events. First is Brexit, it makes the whole business of travelling to the EU a far more protracted and awkward experience. One cannot just go for a drive and on a whim just hop on the chunnel or ferry and tour around at ones hearts content! One could see what was on the cards years ago, when there was a colour change, in the politics of the government. This was years before Brexit.

Then we had Covid19 and all the restrictions that came with that. People still needed to get out or go on holiday for the sake of sanity. The release from jail was like a champagne cork at a formula 1 party, bouncing around narrow surrounds. There had been a steady increase of van sales over the years. Subconsciously people become aware of more vans being around. Most people are affected by fashion. It's either a subconscious compliance or an active choice. The fairy dice and foul looking CHAV hatchback Brigade, with ear piercing decibel sound systems. Playing questionable music with more bass output than a live aid concert. Has grown up, got married, have kids of their own and progressed into something bigger and very much more expensive. :p:giggle::rofl:

Easily converted for holiday use, to compensate the lack of the package holiday in the costa what ever. It has attracted people from all quarters. Providing versatility, what else can accommodate a whole family and double up as a working vehicle for the swollen masses of the new self employed. It also provides status and satisfies the vain. Whole new industries set up to accommodate for every whim and taste.

From the fashionable, dropped and glamorous. Scraping its bouncing bottom along the strand. Exhibiting manly excessively wide tyres more suited for safari, stretched and draped luxuriously over wheels that might flatter a race touring car, disappearing somewhere into the hidden depths of the overly polished and pampered pimp-mobile van the man cave. They hassle and bustle along impatiently and late. They cant wait to erect their awnings and stare. At the couple parked next door, with the audacious and large accessory store. They make friends and compare and say cheers for the bear while the wife cooks the meal all cramped the at the rear. While young children play footy older teens footsie. Dad slaps his lips around another can of fosters.

To the shamelessly rude expedition truck. Stacked up on skyscraper stilts. Exhibiting every device known to the most hardened explorer. Including never to be used winches and snorkels. Landrover impressing wheel and tyre packages and sporting intimidating bull bars to ward off the unlikely.

In-between the extremities are the dedicated and serious camper wagon. Less ostentatious, sombre and practical. Providing mid week and longer, quieter retreats. Waiting patiently for grandchildren and the holidays. They are mastered by experienced time served crew who are in no hurry. Matured by centuries. They have only what they need and nothing that they do not. They know where everything is and are automated in timeless procedure. Nothing goes wrong, everything is prepared for. These vans are not the GTI of the van world. It is the journey, not just the destination. They do not hustle in haste or parade in the high street. They park politely in the car park only taking one place. Not for them the over indulgence and self importance of double parking occupancy and the straddled white line.

Brexit will push prices up next year even if the tariff free deal is done. From what i'm hearing the 'thin' deal that the UK wants is heavy on friction (paperwork), which means more cost which VW will push down.

If you want a new van, order one now id say and lock in at the 2020 price. You wont get it for 6 months mind.

We bought ours this year as a surf trip facilitator (after spending half a decade mourning the loss of my beloved Aussie Ford Econovan camper). Been keeping an eye on prices for the last few years and now I finally managed to afford one they all rocketed in price due to Covid demand. We got the alerts and the vans were sold before we'd even got a response, the demand over the summer was insane. We picked up our blue & white Startline converted panel van (14k miles 2016 T6) for £18k in the end which was above similar spec I'd seen just last year but far below comparable vans this year. Fully kitted out, windows/kitchen/smartbed etc etc just had to spend a bit of money fixing up some shoddy electric work, but I'm happy with the price I paid compared to some of the others I saw.

Back