Prices During COVID-19

narrative_escapes

T6 Pro
I keep hearing of a COVID-19 tax which I assume is prices going up.

Speaking to a dealer a weekend or so ago they can't get enough vans in.

Anyone got any experience of what this uplift is?

I’ve been looking for a T6 for most of this year and my totally amateur guesstimate would be around 2k on a panel van ?

There is a price rise due but nothing to do with COVID it’s due to more stringent emissions and changes VW have had to make.

Would that impact the price of second hand vehicles which I believe is what people are talking about when you see it anecdotally referenced?

Would that impact the price of second hand vehicles which I believe is what people are talking about when you see it anecdotally referenced?
IMO it’s a case of supply and demand, if somebody has something that somebody else wants and there aren’t many to choose from it has more value.
If you are talking about ’book‘ values who knows. Is the book value accurate in all areas of the UK when it comes to sale prices? I don’t think so.

Just practically what people are feeling as they try to purchase.

I am aware of supply and demand I was curious whether people had enough sense of it to put a value on it. Haha.

I've been looking to replace my camper with a panel van to start again, but prices just seem crazy at the moment. I feel like they're 4 or 5k over what I paid a last time.

We had been looking at a low mileage tailgate T6 Highline for a year. Pre covid you regularly saw sub 10k mileage examples out there for £17k to 18k (plus VAT). Since COVID they have become scarce and you are looking minimum 21k for lowish miles.

We picked up a 7500 miles van for just under £22k plus VAT after missing out on vans that were available for mere hours before selling.

Definitely supply and demand on prices.

I've been keeping half an eye on prices, as kept seeing this mentioned and regularly see kombis at the same spec and mileage as mine, for the same price as I paid 3 years and 42k miles ago. This has to be £2-4k rise. No complaints here.

Interesting. Wonder how bought as converted vans are being impacted.

Of course, depending on the profile or COVID-19 it may result in a glut of sales at some point

Interesting. Wonder how bought as converted vans are being impacted.

Many more variables at work there, so harder to gauge. I suspect the price rise is greater here, as supplies of seating, pop tops etc have been stretched too. Convertors I spoke to in June/July were talking of 3 month lead times.

Of course, depending on the profile or COVID-19 it may result in a glut of sales at some point

Almost certainly, though people won't want to think they've lost too much, so prices may remain elevated. The changes to T7/Ford cola may have an effect too. Who knows.

All interesting. I purchased mine converted December 2019 so just before-is the craziness kicked in.

Anyway, we shall see how it all pans out over time.

And yes, last time I spoke to the people I purchased it from things had gone crazy and they couldn't get anything quick enough - including the vans.

I ordered a campervan from Bodans in July which is a factory order and was due for delivery to Bodans in January. My concern is now the Brexit situation. It’s looking increasingly likely the UK will leave the EU without a free trade deal and that could have tariff implications on imports of vehicles. I heard it could be as much as 20%

I ordered a campervan from Bodans in July which is a factory order and was due for delivery to Bodans in January. My concern is now the Brexit situation. It’s looking increasingly likely the UK will leave the EU without a free trade deal and that could have tariff implications on imports of vehicles. I heard it could be as much as 20%
Would that be based on order or delivery date?

Would that be based on order or delivery date?
My concern is if it’s delivered in January after we have left the EU, and if that’s without a trade deal, I don’t know if the tariff can be applied on goods ordered before we left or if it will only apply on orders placed after we have left. Of course if Boris can get a free trade deal before January there’s nothing to worry about.

I'd be confirming with Bodans and contacting gov.uk. Mr Johnson has been known to change his mind occasionally. I suspect the EU will want us to feel the pain before agreeing to much.

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 11.13.16.png

When I was going through the ordering process a few days ago the broker read out a statement from VW saying that, in the event of tariffs being imposed, I would have the right to cancel the order. Being a bit naive I hadn't considered that as a possibility.

I mean, if that tariff situation stays as a problem for long enough, and hopefully not, I guess it at least has a when someone who didn't experience the tariff comes to sell advantage....

You know, very small silver linings haha.

The Eu could sustain the loss of trade better then we could. They can absorb this across all the nations. Germany in particular is very well set up and is experienced in absorbing crisis and upheaval They have the whip hand, if they want to use it, we just have the bluff and of what. The EU could just reluctantly wash their hands. They have signalled they will take the UK to court and who know what would happen then. If things do not go well, things could become very awkward. There would have to be a massive change of life here. Unemployment on an unprecedented scale. Companies going bust or re homing within the EU. It may not just be the lack of VW, or having to pay premium to have one. Having anything like, might be a luxury to far for many. It could be years and years of strife. Britain is a rich country but this wealth is in the hands of a very few people. I doubt that they would give too much thought to peoples happiness, contentment and indulgences in leisure pursuits. On top of COVID 19 this could be very dire indeed. Any one for chlorinated chicken, its just gone up $$$$$

Back