Power Steering Fail

I did between 12 and 16K a year for the first 3 years and then lockdown happened and avg. mileage for last few years has been much reduced (think I did under 4K in 2020!).

Agree mileage seems very low to be getting these 'wear' issues, not sure if it sitting unused hasn't helped?

I love the van but thinking back over issues to date I'm losing a bit of confidence (apart from below it's had required services at VW dealer, new timing belt at 4 years old and brakes (disks and pads) replaced)

EGR valve - failed - replaced under extended warranty
Side door mechanism - failed - replaced under extended warranty
Intercooler - failed - replaced at my cost
AC pump - failed...
EGRs will all ‘fail’, they are not self cleaning - to be regarded as a consumable such as brakes and clutch.
Intercooler - no doubt stone damage, other than a grill that deflects stones away instead of guiding them in the best you can do is keep the distance from the car in front.
Sliding doors - absolute crap from VW along with sliding windows.
AC compressor - should be reliable as no clutch on Transporters, get the compressor and pulley back from the mechanic and post what has actually failed. Make sure they blank the ports on the old compressor as there is potentially nothing wrong with it. Good for spare or re-sale, remember it’s your property unless it’s a exchange deal for re-conditioning.

This appears to be the part for the A/c pump in the earlier photo?

looks likely that pulley may be available on its own, just need to find one that matches the O/E pump number

E35C3BDE-00C7-4AC3-9C95-8187D7A7BD5C.png

D8514F6A-6CBD-4D2F-B77A-30AD192C2091.png

Last edited:
This one is an exact match for the pump number

edit: link attached ;

edit: the beers are on you !

View attachment 193266
Thanks, this is interesting.
I talked to the garage, he's open to fit this but still not that keen as not from his usual supply base. I think they will do it but maybe without warranty on labour as before. Only concern with this is if root cause is still unknown maybe there is an issue with the pump itself.
What do you think?

I'll buy you all a beer one day either way for all the advice!

Back