Power Steering Fail

I’d like to know how an AC compressor pulley can fail?
Apparently it's in 2 parts and the outer rubber part has come loose from the inner part.
I've got a video the garage sent me but can't figure out how to post it on here, is it possible to add videos?

Oooh.

Drive plate with overload protection.

That's fancy.

So the pulley is a scarificial part.?

Maybe the tensioner does need replacing?

And the AC compressor needs checking.

Or are we saying the pulley has failed.... because?

What millage you on?

From the video the garage sent and description they gave it looks like the issue is part 6 above and the failure is the outer rubber part separating from the inner metal part.

The issue is that part 6 isn't available separately from any of the suppliers the local garage uses hence the repair needs a full new pump (VW also confirmed this when I talked to them).

Oooh.

Drive plate with overload protection.

That's fancy.

So the pulley is a scarificial part.?

Maybe the tensioner does need replacing?

And the AC compressor needs checking.

Or are we saying the pulley has failed.... because?

What millage you on?

Sorry missed this before I posted other response.

60K mileage on 2016 van.

Had already agreed that they would replace the tensioner as well.

Seems odd to be sacrificial but then not sold as a spare?! so new AC compressor required anyway.

I don’t see a shear pin in the diagram but that would be the obvious choice for overload protection.
I think I’d be trawling the breakers for a secondhand compressor just to use the failed part.

Still from the video showing part number

Number is the same as those above but N suffix (not B or F)

View attachment 193247
How was the video sent to you?

Can you share a link from your phones gallery?

(Google photo link?. Or apple iCloud link?)

Or drop it on YouTube and post the link to that here?

I would be very interested to see it.

I've not come across this failure before.it sounds like the pulley is designed to give way in the event of a AC compressor failure.?

Has the compressor failed?

Suppose the only to check is to see if the unit will turn?

How was the video sent to you?

Can you share a link from your phones gallery?

(Google photo link?. Or apple iCloud link?)

Or drop it on YouTube and post the link to that here?

I would be very interested to see it.

I've not come across this failure before.it sounds like the pulley is designed to give way in the event of a AC compressor failure.?

Has the compressor failed?

Suppose the only to check is to see if the unit will turn?
Hopefully the link below should be the video on YouTube (at least I've learnt something new today)

Let me know if it works?

Not sure if the compressor has failed, van is down at garage so not able to check at the minute. Can say that I'd seen any issues with AC prior to this issue athough not been using it much due to time of year.

I had noticed the van sounding a little rough for a while, I thought it was just getting a bit older and not sounding as smooth as when it was new.

Yes, I sent you an illustration as I don't know your engine model or vin.

You might be able to find a s/h compressor and just swap the pulley.
Thanks, appreciate all the help.

To be fair the garage had done a fair bit of research trying to source the pulley separately, he told me that there were none available from any of his suppliers who only supplied the full unit.

He had found one on ebay that he was fairly certain was the correct part and told me he couldn't source it but if I did he would fit it but he couldn't warranty the work if we went this route. Given the fact that the root cause is still somewhat unknown and the risk vs the cost he's quoting to replace with a new pump I decided that's probably a safer route.

From Autodoc; AC compressor, Valeo. NEW £197.60 inc VAT and delivery. For a 2016 CFCA.
I certainly wouldn’t go to VW for the component.

From Autodoc; AC compressor, Valeo. NEW £197.60 inc VAT and delivery. For a 2016 CFCA.
I certainly wouldn’t go to VW for the component.
Thanks

VW quoted me £1239 just for the part! Another £450 estimated labour (this is on top of £120 diagnostics fee)

Local garage is £750 fitted plus the new belt. Given I don't have any experience of this job, garage space or ramp I'm thinking this is probably a fairly decent option.

Thanks

VW quoted me £1239 just for the part! Another £450 estimated labour (this is on top of £120 diagnostics fee)

Local garage is £750 fitted plus the new belt. Given I don't have any experience of this job, garage space or ramp I'm thinking this is probably a fairly decent option.
Get them to check the smart (bluemotion) alternator clutch action if not already done, zero additional labour.

Yes YT video worked fine.

Looks like it fallen appart.

Hopefully just from wear and tear.....?

But. 60K mileage on 2016 van.

So very low mileage? But 7years old?

Maybe the tensioner caused the belt the fail, and then the belt damaged the AC pulley?

Last edited:
I’m at 55K with a 2016, on original belt and tensioner, no noise from mine but I’ll be checking the part number next time I’ve got my endoscope out.
I haven’t checked but assume that if you are in a less than ideal situation it’s possible to fit a non-AC belt until there’s a better opportunity for a repair.

Yes YT video worked fine.

Looks like it fallen appart.

Hopefully just from wear and tear.....

But. 60K mileage on 2016 van.

So very low mileage? But 7years old?

Maybe the tensioner aused the belt the fail, and the belt damaged the AC pulley?
I did between 12 and 16K a year for the first 3 years and then lockdown happened and avg. mileage for last few years has been much reduced (think I did under 4K in 2020!).

Agree mileage seems very low to be getting these 'wear' issues, not sure if it sitting unused hasn't helped?

I love the van but thinking back over issues to date I'm losing a bit of confidence (apart from below it's had required services at VW dealer, new timing belt at 4 years old and brakes (disks and pads) replaced)

EGR valve - failed - replaced under extended warranty
Side door mechanism - failed - replaced under extended warranty
Intercooler - failed - replaced at my cost
AC pump - failed...

Back