Power-closing tailgate button

mattbryson

VIP Member
Hi all,

I have a powered opening tailgate with the button on the tailgate door to close it.

20211113_174337.jpg

This works, but not when the boot is closed.

The manual says there is a child lock for the boot that disables it...

20211113_174350.jpg

But I cant find this anywhere! Any ideas?

Matt

I don’t think you get both, a standard tailgate has the child lock button where your elec button is

I don’t think you get both, a standard tailgate has the child lock button where your elec button is
Ah...

Should this button open the tailgate when it's closed do you know? As it doesn't at the moment and I have no way of opening it from the inside.

You wouldnt be able to get to it when the tailgates closed ?
I don’t have an elec tailgate so not sure what the norm is for an internal button ?

Yeah, you can get to it, there is a few cm gap .

The manual says it opens it, but I don't fully trust the manual:)

Pretty sure the childlock switch on mine is on the bottom of the tailgate, can only be accessed with it open
I don’t have an electric tailgate, just the switch to open from the inside.

Pretty sure the childlock switch on mine is on the bottom of the tailgate, can only be accessed with it open
I don’t have an electric tailgate, just the switch to open from the inside.
Yeah, checked there. Sounds like the leccy one doesn't have it.

On standard tailgates the interior and exterior opening buttons are wired together so assume you could do the same on an elec tailgate and wire an extra button to the cables for the external handle ?

On standard tailgates the interior and exterior opening buttons are wired together so assume you could do the same on an elec tailgate and wire an extra button to the cables for the external handle ?
Yeah, that sounds like a plan, cheers Pauly

Hi all,

I have a powered opening tailgate with the button on the tailgate door to close it.

View attachment 136423

This works, but not when the boot is closed.

The manual says there is a child lock for the boot that disables it...

View attachment 136424

But I cant find this anywhere! Any ideas?

Matt
Tailgate bottom edge switch is deactivated while tailgate is closed.
This switch can only be operated when tailgate is opened (partially or fully).

Tailgate bottom edge switch is deactivated while tailgate is closed.
This switch can only be operated when tailgate is opened (partially or fully).
Do you know if this can be changed so its always active? Odb11/ VCDS etc ?

As far as I know, there is no adjustment to the functionality of the tailgate bottom edge switch.

What's your actual goal?
Can you not use tailgate internal switch?

And if you don't have one just follow Pauly's suggestion.

Yeah, no internal switch. Was about to retro fit one in the door, just thought there might be an easier option - as there is already a switch there that does what I want, except its disabled when shut!

But sounds like fitting a new one is the easiest route....

There is a switch on the drivers door to open my electric tailgate, on the back upright if the lower door pocket. I can only use the one on the tailgate when it is open. I have also programmed it to be able to open and close with the key fob; it only opened from the factory.

I don't have the switch in the drivers door anoyingly.

How did you program the fob to close it?
Ah, that's a shame. I used an OBD programmer that I bought. I've a list of other stuff that I want to do with it too but life gets in the way!

I don't remember the exact model but it was VCDS or something from Rosstech. About £200.

Ah...

Should this button open the tailgate when it's closed do you know? As it doesn't at the moment and I have no way of opening it from the inside.
Possibly more a solution for emergency situations, but if you flick off the plastic nearly-round cover (exposing the lock mechanism), you can put your finger in and (if it's long enough) operate the catch release. It's then easy to push the door open a little and the electric button underneath the tailgate's bottom edge then works. There may be an official manual release operator which fixes in this aperture but I haven't yet researched this ... if anyone else does, please post here. HTH

Back