Possible Issue Using An Obd Cable

Keepad

T6 Pro
Hi, so I finally went ahead with BV DR 750 dash cam which seems to be quite good, it is currently using an OBD cable with apparently a voltage cut off but its not the EZ Pro cable, however its now effecting my Start Stop from kicking in and it may be in my mind but my fuel gauge reads more fuel than it had before! it was very much into the red when I dropped it of for fitting. Maybe Halfords put in a few litres for me lol.

I know some vehicles do not like new toys being plugged in to them, has anyone had any issues with the OBD socket being used?

The fitter at Halfords said the OBD cable will do the job and I genuinely believe he was trying to save me money by saying I would not need the Magic pro that I had ordered, the thing that annoys me is that i ordered the magic pro for the voltage cut off and that it would need to be hardwired to the fuse box and not risk upsetting the canbus.

The cam itself will be pretty good once I sorted out the settings and it stops seeing every thing as an event, but it will have to be hardwired.

Many leave various dongles plugged into the ODB port without issue, VW themselves supply the "data Plug" what you have plugged in won't be connected to the canbus only picking up the power.

Thanks for the reply I was not aware that it was in effect just a power socket, Maybe I should leave it a few days and see if the start stop kicks in, I do the same week day route and it usually kicks in through out the day.

Like @Loz says your dashcam is using the OBD2 port for power . . . .

which is a direct fused connection to the battery . . . . so the dash-cam will drain that starter battery, which in-turn will disable the stop/start feature until the energy management system deems the battery to be charged enough. - at which point it will restart..

I have the VW OBD data plug, which is plugged in most of the time - it seems to "go to sleep" when the van is not running and doesnt drain much power . . .

But if i leave Carista or any other OBD2 device plugged in it starts draining the battery and generates a fault code:

Battery Regulator 02256 – quiescent current - Battery monitor detecting power drain from starter battery (about above 50mA) (left the Carista plugged in obd2 PORT overnight)

Vcds And Carista Fault Codes

you can get Carista on Amazon for £16 to read fault codes: https://amzn.to/38AGSB9

if you get a flat battery or the fault code Battery Regulator 02256 – quiescent current - the a Power magic thing will be necessary.

So would I be better off just hardwiring in to the fuse box with some form of voltage cut off ie the magic pro or would I have the same issue ?

I’m sure people must be running dashcams with parking mode and still use the stop start.

my camera came with a hardwire kit that has a permanent feed (connected to leisure circuit) and an ignition feed.

@ROMANY TAMPIN feeds his dashcam from the leisure battery and runs it 24/7.

I run mine from an ignition feed.

Have also heard story's of dashcam running the stater battery flat ofter a long weekend.

The power magic pro is just a timer or low voltage cutout.

It will prevent the starter battery from draining to low, . . By switching off the dashcam.

The stop/start issue is just down to having a low starter battery due to the dashcam draining it.

Fitting the magic pro wont solve the stop/start thing . . . . . But may prevent a flast starter battery.

Have you got a leisure battery you can run the dashcam off?

Back