Portable Solar Panel

Done! There are a few discount vouchers available on Amazon today - £20 off the panels, %% discounts off the cables. Thanks @Dellmassive :thumbsup:

View attachment 233353

Hope it is OK to resurrect this older thread:

When I camp I'm always on a site so no problems with EHU for charging overnight but on days out (when I might be parked up but still at the van for a few hours) I've either got the fridge on (which on a hot day can use a surprising amount from the leisure battery) or in winter when I might need to put the diesel heater on a few times. The Eberspacher does not use much diesel but it needs power for the fan.

Can I connect something like the panel recommended above Renogy Portable to the leisure battery in a fully converted Hillside van without screwing things up? As both the fridge and heater are hardwired into the van I do not think a portable battery pack is the answer but I want to be able to top up the leisure battery during the day.

I am a total DUNCE when it comes to anything electric . . . and more than a little scared of doing damage to the electrics by doing it wrong, :unsure: please be gentle with me.

I think I understand that a panel cannot be plugged directly into the leisure battery but has to have a controller in between to stop the LB being overcharged, is that the way it works?

Did you manage set this up?

I've got the portable Renogy. Seems like a good quality panel and a handy smart bag for it

IMG_20240417_101825475_HDR.jpg

Did you manage set this up?

Sorry, my bad. ;);)

Bought the Renogy panel and Victron controller (thanks to amazing advice/support from @Dellmassive), even found the confidence to buy extension cables without asking for help :eek:, did a dry run of wiring to check that everything worked, which it did!

Of course, since then life and endless rain/cold has stopped me permanently fixing everything in place and reporting back. But I'll consider this a gentle nudge and try to work out how the heck I find time to do it soon . . .

Back